Announcing The Escapist Reader's Choice Game of the Year 2013 Bracket

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
One has to wonder how many casualties there will be when the dust settles. These things never end well, especially when GTAV wins because it is the most popular on the internet, and you don't need to be an Escapist member to vote...
That and blind devotion to a franchise + having a late year release always trumps being a quality game. Look at Mass Effect 3....

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Dr.Awkward said:
RJ 17 said:
My prediction for the final round: GTA V vs Bioshock Infinite, assuming they don't meet up earlier in the tournament.
...Actually, I suggest lining up the brackets according to company size and ownership - Like how the NCAA has North, South, East, and West, these brackets are AAA, Exclusive, Indie, and Wild (or insert better name here).
Unfortunately, if two or more of the top titles are AAA (which is likely), one of them gets snubbed in favor of a lesser game.

Also, NCAA tournament places the top teams in order from 1 to 68, then the top 4 get 1 seeds, the 5-8 get 2 seeds, etc.
Still, I feel like there should be some sort of voting bonus for those who played both games in contention, and to give indies a bit of a better chance. There's likely only a few who know both games at times, and if they vote, their vote should be valued much more than that guy who's been told to vote GTAV all they way to GOTY despite not playing it at all. Now, if there was only a surefire way we could do that...

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Half Life 3!

Totally game of the year, played from start to finish, took 2 days and I don't think work bought my "sudden flu", but it was totally worth it. I know it's technically only 'early access' right now and they haven't technically released it, but it's open to anyone and I didn't find and bugs or clipping or glitches or anything. Funny that they've snuck it out without any fanfare whatsoever (which is completely insane, but then it is Valve) so it hasn't had as much time to sink in as Bioshock or GTA V, but it was just ace. Worth the hype? Maybe, maybe not, but it blows Bioshock and Grand Theft Auto out of the water.

Surprised there hasn't been any rave threads or reviews on it yet because it's been up for a few days now, I'd expect it to have gone viral already, but maybe you lot just don't surf Steam as much as I do:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244210/ [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbYXkOAoZpI]

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
One has to wonder how many casualties there will be when the dust settles. These things never end well, especially when GTAV wins because it is the most popular on the internet, and you don't need to be an Escapist member to vote...
Sorry, I neglected to mention, you will in fact need to be an Escapist member to vote. The brackets will be tied to your account, and voting will be too. Of course, I hope something like this DOES bring in outsiders and not just the Escapist community as it is right now so your point stands. Still, I think the discussion will be a good one.

Greg

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
RedDeadFred said:
Hmm, out of all of the games I've played this year, I would have to vote Far Cry 3 (shut up, I know it came out last year but I didn't get it until quite recently and it's fucking amazing). Since I won't be allowed to vote that, I'll probably go with Bioshock Infinite or Saints Row IV. GTAV will probably win but I found it rather disappointing. If TLOU had been released before the Zombie craze, I probably would have voted for it, but I'm really just tired of that genre and the game just didn't feel that amazing to me.
I think Giant Bomb has something like a best game of last year we didn't play till this year. In that category, my vote goes for Sleeping Dogs.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
This makes me laugh "the readers choice awards... You can choose from these 16 games" and I bet half them will be the pretentious ones like flower and journey 'cos being a puff of air with a fondness for petals and a sentient scarf with a fondness for gliding make great games.

Ok, it's probably not pheasable to have a poll that includes every game released in a year but it does sound contradictory to me.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
It has to be TLOU, no other game this year comes close. People saying GTA is a sure winner is disappointing since that game was disgusting, I couldn't even watch footage of it on Twitch for very long, let alone play it. But I watched JP play TLOU on launch day from start to finish in one very long and epic cast. Time well spent, manly tears were shed.

Have to be honest, still a little bitter about last year's result. It should of been The Walking Dead, damn it...

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Still going to be GTA V. I imagine Arkham Origins might give it a run, maybe. But Steam and Bethesda haven't released anything, and there hasn't been any super big AAA RPG's released lately either

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Barbas said:
It's going to be depressing if someone who has been on the site for years ends up getting banned over this.
Isn't that pretty much what happened to Vault101? I'm still torn up about that.

OT: I'm hoping for Bioshock Infinite to win, because DAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Many have talked about the new Pokemon games, so I guess they are serious contenders on this site?
Also GTA V of course
Then I guess at least 1 indie title will be involved, as this is the escapist and you guys seem pretty into those.
CoD Ghost I'd guess is in the top 16 also.
The top 16 will be interesting, then of course there will be the forums going all bollocks "why isn't this or that in there too"
So yeah, this'll be gooood :D

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well I look forward to seeing the 16 games. Though I can already guess what the results will be:

3rd Place: BioShock: Infinite
2nd Place: The Last of Us
1st Place: Grand Theft Auto V.

SillySam

Mar 15, 2011
"We've picked the 15 games you guys have been talking about the most and put them on the bracket."

So it's probably impossible to see Call of Juarez Gunslinger on there :<
Most fun I've had in a shooter in recent memory

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
This is going to get interesting that's for sure. Wonder how many will vote for GTA5 since this site is mostly PC centric and we all know how much love R* has for us.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
You know i would probably choose PayDay 2. Though what i woudl rather choose is for GTA 5 to NOT win, because no PC version announced yet you bastards!

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Mr.Tea said:
...So it's basically March Mayhem: GOTY Edition.

Without as much mayhem I hope?

Hahahahaha! Yeah right.
*sobs openly*

Hooray for March Christmas Mayhem....?

I'm kidding of course! I'm looking forward to it! Haha! Hahaha...

I am interested to see who'll win though, my bets are on GTA V.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
omega 616 said:
This makes me laugh "the readers choice awards... You can choose from these 16 games" and I bet half them will be the pretentious ones like flower and journey 'cos being a puff of air with a fondness for petals and a sentient scarf with a fondness for gliding make great games.

Ok, it's probably not pheasable to have a poll that includes every game released in a year but it does sound contradictory to me.
"You can choose from these 16 games that you guys have been talking about the most.."

If half the choices are pretentious ones like Flower and Journey, then it sounds like we've only ourselves to blame for talking about them them most. Why so negative?

OT: Safe money's on GTAV winning, just because. Rabid fanbase, late entry, many might say genuinely good game, huge well-known release.. I'll probably end up voting for one of the smaller indies again, just cuz I'm so hip and cool (and don't play AAA console games..).

May I make a suggestion to the staff? If, like last year, badges are going to be given out depending on the game: the GTAV badge needs to say "3.5 stars? GOTY! IN YOUR FACE, TITO!". You know you want to. You know it'll never be forgotten by the fans.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
Meh. Triple A titles leave so much to be desired. Don't really feel like arguing with other people about it either.

I'll call Outlast the greatest game of the year, and skip your silly contest.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
For me its going to be Xcom Enemy Within or Pokemon.... wow i just realised i really didnt buy many games this year at all.