Anonymous Members Hint at Unofficial Involvement in PSN Attack

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
Actual said:
I'm one of the PSN customers whose details were stolen, and while I'm pissed at that I'm still not convinced that the hackers are in the wrong.
They stole the personal information including credit card info of everyone who had that information on PSN and are now starting to post some of that information.

How are they not in the wrong. They aren't proving a point. They aren't fighting against Sony's removal of OtherOS. All they are doing is attacking the users of PSN.

You remind me of a beaten housewife with Stockholm Syndrome.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Anonymous is a load of pompous pricks. How could they resist claiming credit?

NinjaTigerXIII

Apr 21, 2010
Seriously, when the assholes who did this get caught we should have an old fashioned Stoning, cause I mean we only deserve vengeance.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
bob1052 said:
Actual said:
I'm one of the PSN customers whose details were stolen, and while I'm pissed at that I'm still not convinced that the hackers are in the wrong.
They stole the personal information including credit card info of everyone who had that information on PSN and are now starting to post some of that information.

How are they not in the wrong. They aren't proving a point. They aren't fighting against Sony's removal of OtherOS. All they are doing is attacking the users of PSN.

Link me to where they've released the information please? I'd like to see that.

If the reason they did this was to fight against Sony's removal of OtherOS then they are being very effective. The only thing a company like Sony will understand is loss of profit and this will hit their finances hard.

Of course we still don't know if this attack was a moral statement or merely a criminal grab for valuable information.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So, can I say that I called this? Because I've been saying that I thought a member of Anonymous was behind it, even if they weren't working for Anonymous at the time, since the first day this happened. Yeah, I totally called it.

Okay, maybe this isn't 100% confirmed, but it seems plausible at the least.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Another member explains, as has been explained many times before: "If you say you are Anonymous, and do something as Anonymous, then Anonymous did it. Just because the rest of Anonymous might not agree with it, doesn't mean Anonymous didn't do it."
HAHA! Word play at its finest!

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Actual said:
bob1052 said:
Actual said:

If the reason they did this was to fight against Sony's removal of OtherOS then they are being very effective. The only thing a company like Sony will understand is loss of profit and this will hit their finances hard.

Of course we still don't know if this attack was a moral statement or merely a criminal grab for valuable information.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109843-Sony-Hackers-Publish-Stolen-Personal-Information-Online

Okay, so it's nothing like credit information, but its something. And who are you to say that they are trying to "punish" Sony? What proof do you have that they aren't doing it for personal profit?

I ask you this: If they were trying to prove a point, why haven't they publicly stated as much?

They do NOT have your, or my, "best interests" at heart. They are being ass holes. Criminal and nothing else. I agree with bob1052. You act like you have Stockholm Syndrome.

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
drkchmst said:
Regardless who these hackers are the responsibility of this is squarely on the shoulders of Sony. Their security was not up to spec it seems and if they had all the necessary updates and patches to their security (which as of yet we haven't heard if they did or not) the entire industry should be supporting them bc if the latest security can be hacked so completely every company is in danger.
That's like me saying your house deserves to be robbed because your locks aren't up to scratch. Don't be an idiot and grow up, no security is 100% perfect and there will always be danger of hacks. What is really needed is harsher laws against hackers, that will be a far better deterant than 'better security' ever will.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
This is all giving me a headache, I really couldn't give two shits what Anonymous did and didn't do at this point.

Is PSN up yet? No? Then who cares what a loose organization says what they may or may not have done.

Also:
NinjaTigerXIII said:
Seriously, when the assholes who did this get caught we should have an old fashioned Stoning, cause I mean we only deserve vengeance.
I'm not sure if this type of vengeance is good enough at this point, but it's a start.

badreaper74

Dec 12, 2010
Well Anonymous has to be careful. This could be considered cyber terrorism and now that the FBI is involved anyone they can connect with this just lost about all there rights thanks to are good friend the Patriot Act. Just some food for thought if anyone thinks about trying something like this.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
This is starting to become my new hobby on escapist. Heres the video again.

Deathninja19 said:
drkchmst said:
Regardless who these hackers are the responsibility of this is squarely on the shoulders of Sony. Their security was not up to spec it seems and if they had all the necessary updates and patches to their security (which as of yet we haven't heard if they did or not) the entire industry should be supporting them bc if the latest security can be hacked so completely every company is in danger.
That's like me saying your house deserves to be robbed because your locks aren't up to scratch. Don't be an idiot and grow up, no security is 100% perfect and there will always be danger of hacks. What is really needed is harsher laws against hackers, that will be a far better deterant than 'better security' ever will.
Zombie apocalypse. You tell people to follow you in a safe house. Outhouse without a door. Blame the zombies.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Saltyk said:
Actual said:
bob1052 said:
Actual said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109843-Sony-Hackers-Publish-Stolen-Personal-Information-Online

Okay, so it's nothing like credit information, but its something. And who are you to say that they are trying to "punish" Sony? What proof do you have that they aren't doing it for personal profit?

I ask you this: If they were trying to prove a point, why haven't they publicly stated as much?

They do NOT have your, or my, "best interests" at heart. They are being ass holes. Criminal and nothing else. I agree with bob1052. You act like you have Stockholm Syndrome.
Reading comprehension fail.
Actual said:
Also the link you have provided has nothing to do with the PSN hack, it's a different Sony site altogether. It's only conjecture that the information was released by the PSN hackers.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Actual said:
Saltyk said:
Actual said:
bob1052 said:
Actual said:

Reading comprehension fail.
Actual said:
Also the link you have provided has nothing to do with the PSN hack, it's a different Sony site altogether. It's only conjecture that the information was released by the PSN hackers.
Agreed that its not concrete evidence. Still, it seems a little too convenient in my opinion. Take that how you will.

Beyond that, you said nothing worth replying to.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Deathninja19 said:
drkchmst said:
Better analogy is buying AntiVirus but not updating it and then questioning why you got a virus

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
Doesnt that RICO act thing they have in america mean that if some annony users where involved they whole group can be prosocuted? isnt that how they take down organized crime types