Another EA horror story.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
So, a couple months ago I saw a link on Mojang advertising Minecraft gear on the EA game "Battlefield Heroes" the game looked fun and as a free to play game, I thought I would pay to get some good starting gear and the minecraft stuff, maybe help Mojang. So I spent $20 on the game before I even downloaded it.

So I download the game but when I tried to login. I got "error 1001 unable to connect". After spending a couple days do everything it says to help solve this problem on the website and then contacting EA support and running every diagnostic tool in their arsenal, I still was not able to connect to the game. Finally I asked for a refund. They kept telling me it is not "their policy to give refunds." Again went through the trouble shooting steps to try and connect to the game with support and nothing worked. Again I asked for a refund, another refusal. Finally I threaten them I would call my bank and dispute the charge.

They finally caved in and gave me a refund. THEN THEY BANNED MY ORIGIN ACCOUNT.

Kordie

Oct 6, 2011
Wow, that seems kinda harsh... Did they give any reason for banning the account? Also, did you have other games registered to it?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I did not really find out they had banned my origin account until today when I tried to register for Ultima Forever and said to contact customer support. I asked the customer support person why it was banned and this is what it read on her screen: "Fraud refund Battlefield Heroes" She did escalate the support ticket so I can talk to someone who knows more about bans.

I only had Battlefield 2 on my origin account, and I'm not itching to play that anytime soon, so it is no big loss, but still, I think that is pretty slime-y.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Put it on reddit, report them to every watchdog there is, and generally continue to cause a shitstorm. If you keep consistently wasting a lot of their resources, then they will probably reinstate your account, and if they don't then at least you have the satisfaction of costing them a lot of money and hassle. Win win.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
I find it impossible to sympathise with you because you gave money to EA. Some may call that a petty reason, I call it entirely justified. Complain on reddit or something, but even that website is saturated with "EA are dicks" stories.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Esotera said:
Put it on reddit, report them to every watchdog there is, and generally continue to cause a shitstorm. If you keep consistently wasting a lot of their resources, then they will probably reinstate your account, and if they don't then at least you have the satisfaction of costing them a lot of money and hassle. Win win.
yeah,pretty much putting it on reddit will cause them to lose some customers.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
They're arseholes.
And fibbing arseholes. My boyfriend got a refund for Battlefield 3 twice from EA.
(First time it didn't work, second time it worked then broke again).

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Baldr said:
Esotera said:

Yep, that's what I'd do. Just cause as big a fuss as you can over it. Even if they don't give the account back it might at least waste some of their time and resources.

A little more bad EA press is always welcome to gamers. It's unlikely but maybe one day they'll realise that treating customers like mindless drones is a bad thing.

Jan 27, 2011
Baldr said:
I asked the customer support person why it was banned and this is what it read on her screen: "Fraud refund Battlefield Heroes"
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

........Ok, that is BS of the highest order. The game didn't work for you at all, they refused to refund you your game that clearly didn't work, and when you threatened to get your bank to refund it FOR you....They ban you for "fraudulent refund"?!

...........Hate for EA +1.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
ResonanceSD said:
I find it impossible to sympathise with you because you gave money to EA. Some may call that a petty reason, I call it entirely justified. Complain on reddit or something, but even that website is saturated with "EA are dicks" stories.
Wow, your hatred of EA runs so deep that you don's see victims anymore. All you are are "willing participants."

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
malestrithe said:
ResonanceSD said:
Wow, your hatred of EA runs so deep that you don's see victims anymore. All you are are "willing participants."

i've read enough stories of "EA botched this" "EA buggered that" and "EA took my money and delivered a poor product" to be

a) desensitized
b) blame people for continually displaying a shit sense of pattern recognition
c) quite satisfied in being a consumer with a brain rather than relying on a corporation which would rather satisfy shareholders than customers.

d) all of the above.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
No offense, but, yeah... That is pretty fucking petty.

While I admit that downing $20 before you even get into a F2P Game is damn stupid, and it IS their policy to not offer refunds, the CS rep should have gone a little more out of the way to look into correcting the-

Oh my god, I'm giving Customer Support Advice on a gaming forum... I'm a fucking lifer.

wierdman51

Apr 24, 2009
This entire thread has turned into rage over EA's shit
You people act like EA cares or ever will care. there is no way ANY of us can cause a big enough stink to catch their eyes and cause them to look to the sky piously and beg the forgiveness of their lord for being greedy.
EA is EA, and they will fuck you over until the end. Just like many of the larger big name corporations.
TL;DR i hate EA and the establishment, and bullshit is to be expected on their end.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010

I remember, back in the day, when EA was called Electronic Arts and it actually MET something.

*sigh*

It's stories like these that make me glad I stick with GOG.