Another Gaming Poll for my studies, please participate!

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
1. 19
2. A. Male
3. United States
4. B. PlayStation 3
5. D. More than 4 hours.
6. E. Action and Platformers
7. A. A captivating story.
8. Definitely.
9. Probably not. (Depends on the aesthetics.)
10. Probably.
11. Probably.
12. Definitely.
13. Journey.

EboMan7x

Jul 20, 2009
1. 16
2. a
3. USA
4. b
5. c
6. c
7. a
8. Probably not
9. I don?t know
10. Definitely
11. Probably not
12. Probably
13. At the moment, Twilight Princess, but it changes week to week.

StefanThor

Mar 25, 2010
1. 28
2. a
3. New Zealand
4. a
5. c
6. c
7. a
8. Probably
9. Definitely Not
10. Definitely
11. Definitely Not
12. Definitely

Bonus question:
13. Red Alert 2

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
1. 21
2. a
3. Canada
4. a
5. c
6. g (RTS)
7. b
8. probably not
9. definitely not
10. definitely
11. I don't know
12. probably not
13. Fallout 2

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
Darknacht said:
alphamalet said:
Darknacht said:
1 29

alphamalet said:
Pretty scary when this many people consider the story, something that doesn't even define a game, as the most important part for them. You can have a game with no story. You can't have a game with no gameplay. Which do you think is more important? Sheesh!
You can have a movie without a story too but most people like movies with stories.
You're still missing the point. Yes, story can compliment gameplay in the same way the story can compliment a film, but that does NOT make story the most important part of either of these.

What differentiates a game from other mediums of entertainment is its gameplay. You can't play a movie, a book, or a painting. If you took gameplay away, then you wouldn't have a game, and the entire medium of entertainment disappears. I don't care how compelling or how well a story compliments the gameplay of a game, if you say that story is more important than the aspect that makes a game a game, then you're wrong.

Like I said earlier, your example misses the point. Yes, a story can compliment the visuals of a film, but it is the unique way a film displays its visuals that makes a film a film. If you remove a plot from a film, you still have a series of captured frames being played in quick succession to convey to the viewer some sort of imagery that occurred in a specific place and time. An example might be some of the home movies taken by the people who witnessed some of the events in World War II. There is no story to these, but what they convey is powerful and the way they convey it can't be done by a still image or by a sound byte. Now what if you took away the film's unique way of conveying information? What if films were no longer a series of captured images played in rapid succession to give the appearance of motion? You don't have a movie anymore, you have either a still frame, or a sound byte. So is story still the most important aspect of either of these artistic mediums?

I'm all for story in games. I think a story can be powerful, and emotional, and help motivate a player to keep playing. I don't want you think that I am advocating that there be no stories in video games. What I am advocating is to put this specific aspect of video games into perspective.

As someone who is currently studying video game design at a university, it has always confounded me how avid players of video games seem to understand so little as to what makes a game tick. Worship what makes a game a game and sets it apart from all of the other mediums of entertainment you could be experiencing instead! Don't worship one of the pieces that does nothing to define the medium of entertainment you enjoy so much!
Actually you're the one that does not get it everyone understands that gameplay is necessary for it to be a game and very few people will want to play a game with terrible gameplay, but lots of people would rather play a game with mediocre gameplay and a good story, than a game with good gameplay and a mediocre story. The same is true for film, while story is not necessary how many people would pay $12+ to go see a 2 hour movie with no story or sit though the hundreds of hours of show/commercials that some TV shows run if their was no story.
So you acknowledge the necessity of gameplay, but then go on to argue that story is still more important than the unique features of both mediums. Yeah, you missed the point. Quite frankly, I don't know how much clearer I can say it, so I'm not going to waste my time further with this discussion. By the way, people might take you more seriously if you used proper grammar and punctuation.

Wing Dairu

Jul 21, 2010
1 21
2a
3 USA
4a
5c
6a
7e
8 probably not
9 definitely not
10 definitely
11 definitely not
12 probably
13 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
1. 21

2. a - male

3. Australia

4. c - XBox 360

5. b - 1 - 2 hours (On average)

6. c - Adventure and Role-Playing Games

7. a - A captivating story

8. Probably not

9. Probably

10. Definitely

11. I don't know

12. Probably

Bonus question:
13. Baldur's Gate

Mauler

Jul 11, 2012
1 21
2 a
3 Latvia
4 a
5 d
6 c
7 a
8 probably not
9 definiteley not
10 defineteley
11 i dont know
12 defineteley
13 Planescape: Tourment

Trek1701a

Aug 23, 2012
alphamalet said:
Darknacht said:
alphamalet said:
Darknacht said:
1 29

alphamalet said:
Pretty scary when this many people consider the story, something that doesn't even define a game, as the most important part for them. You can have a game with no story. You can't have a game with no gameplay. Which do you think is more important? Sheesh!
You can have a movie without a story too but most people like movies with stories.
You're still missing the point. Yes, story can compliment gameplay in the same way the story can compliment a film, but that does NOT make story the most important part of either of these.

What differentiates a game from other mediums of entertainment is its gameplay. You can't play a movie, a book, or a painting. If you took gameplay away, then you wouldn't have a game, and the entire medium of entertainment disappears. I don't care how compelling or how well a story compliments the gameplay of a game, if you say that story is more important than the aspect that makes a game a game, then you're wrong.

Like I said earlier, your example misses the point. Yes, a story can compliment the visuals of a film, but it is the unique way a film displays its visuals that makes a film a film. If you remove a plot from a film, you still have a series of captured frames being played in quick succession to convey to the viewer some sort of imagery that occurred in a specific place and time. An example might be some of the home movies taken by the people who witnessed some of the events in World War II. There is no story to these, but what they convey is powerful and the way they convey it can't be done by a still image or by a sound byte. Now what if you took away the film's unique way of conveying information? What if films were no longer a series of captured images played in rapid succession to give the appearance of motion? You don't have a movie anymore, you have either a still frame, or a sound byte. So is story still the most important aspect of either of these artistic mediums?

I'm all for story in games. I think a story can be powerful, and emotional, and help motivate a player to keep playing. I don't want you think that I am advocating that there be no stories in video games. What I am advocating is to put this specific aspect of video games into perspective.

As someone who is currently studying video game design at a university, it has always confounded me how avid players of video games seem to understand so little as to what makes a game tick. Worship what makes a game a game and sets it apart from all of the other mediums of entertainment you could be experiencing instead! Don't worship one of the pieces that does nothing to define the medium of entertainment you enjoy so much!
Actually you're the one that does not get it everyone understands that gameplay is necessary for it to be a game and very few people will want to play a game with terrible gameplay, but lots of people would rather play a game with mediocre gameplay and a good story, than a game with good gameplay and a mediocre story. The same is true for film, while story is not necessary how many people would pay $12+ to go see a 2 hour movie with no story or sit though the hundreds of hours of show/commercials that some TV shows run if their was no story.
So you acknowledge the necessity of gameplay, but then go on to argue that story is still more important than the unique features of both mediums. Yeah, you missed the point. Quite frankly, I don't know how much clearer I can say it, so I'm not going to waste my time further with this discussion. By the way, people might take you more seriously if you used proper grammar and punctuation.
I believe, and people will probably correct me if I'm wrong, but those who are saying story is the most important thing (I'm one of them), are saying it because if there is a good and compelling story, they could overlook most of the games other flaws and other areas of lacking. No one is saying the other areas, like gameplay, aren't important, it's just that story above else would keep them playing the game longer than any of the other choices. Ultimately, it comes down to what makes a gamer keep playing a game and for a good portion it is for the story the game provides.

Garland

Sincere Ruffian
Aug 24, 2012
1: 20
2: Male
3: United States of America
4: C - Xbox 360
5: C - 2-4 hours
6: C - Adventure and Role-Playing Games
7: B - Unique or Compelling Gameplay
8: Definitely Not
9: Definitely Not
10: Definitely
11: I Don't Know (Impartial)
12: Definitely
13: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
1. How old are you? (Please state your age as a number)

2. You are...?
Male

3. Your country?
The Netherlands

4. Which gaming platform do you mainly use? (state only one)
A) PC

5. Approximately how many hours a day do you play videogames? (state only one)
C) 2 - 4 hours

6. What is your prefered genre (state only one)
C) RPG

7. Which aspect of a game is most important to you? (state only one)
A) A captivating story

Please state your answers to the following statements as follows (state only one):
definitely
probably
probably not
definitely not
I don't know

8. I am more likely to buy newly released games over games which are older than a year.
Probably not (waiting a year means a serious drop in price)

9. The quality of graphics in videogames has an influence on my purchase decisions.
Definitely (not a major factor but definitely a factor)

10. A captivating story/well-written characters/compelling gameplay can compensate for outdated graphics and physics
Definitely

11. I prefer fully-rendered cutscenes over cutscenes which are implemented into the gameplay (e.g. Half-Life 2).
Probably (don't care much either way, but fully-rendered is usually a bit prettier)

12. I am following the technical developements within the gaming industrie with great interest.
Definitely

Bonus question:
13. Name your favorite videogame if you have one (state only one).
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Aug 31, 2012
Gamurga said:

a male

3. Your country?
UK

4. Which gaming platform do you mainly use? (state only one)
a PC

5. Approximately how many hours a day do you play videogames? (state only one)

a less than 1 hour
b 1 - 2 hours
c 2 - 4 hours
d more than 4 hours

I can't answer this with the choices provided. Sometimes I'll not touch games for weeks, then I'll go and play a game for 8 hours a day for the whole weekend. My gaming is very sporadic. If you averaged it out over the year it would be 1-2 maybe?

6. What is your prefered genre (state only one)
a First Person Shooter
b Sports and Racing
c Adventure and Role-Playing Games
d Strategy
e Action and Platformers
f Puzzle and Casual
g other (please state)

Difficult to define. Fallout 3/Oblivion style 1st person games.

b unique/compelling gameplay.

definitely not

probably

definitely

probably not

definitely not

...oh god...what a choice... Fallout 3.

ChaoticLegion

Mar 19, 2009
1. 22

2. a

3. United Kingdom

4. a

5. d

6. c

7. b

8. Definitely not

9. Definitely

10. Definitely

11. Definitely not

12. Definitely

Bonus question:
13. Name your favorite videogame if you have one (state only one).
Far too difficult a question xD
Hope these answers help.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
2.A
3.USA, Texas
4.B
5.C
6.C
7.A
8.Probably
9.Probably not
10. Definitely
11.I don't know
12. Definitely
13. Megaman Legends

Techsmart07

Mar 5, 2011
2.Male
3.United States

4.A
5.C
6.C
7.A

8.Probably
9.Probably Not
10.Definitely (can't go higher than that, i guess)
11.Probably not (although when used right, i love them)
12.Definitely

13. Favorite? I guess Cave Story is still at the top of my list, although i have many close seconds.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
alphamalet said:
Darknacht said:
alphamalet said:
Darknacht said:
1 29

alphamalet said:

I really don't care if you take me seriously, I was just explaining why people are saying that they think story is more important then gameplay. If you are going to work in video game design you will probably to accept.

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
1. 20
2. A
3. Canada
4.B
5.B
6.C
7.A
Please state your answers to the following statements as follows (state only one):
definitely
probably
probably not
definitely not
I don't know

8. I Don't Know

9. Probably Not

10. Definitely

11.I Don't Know

12.Probably Not

Bonus question:
13. Onimusha 3/ Ninja Gaiden (NG is a little more preferred)

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
1. 24
2. male
3. czech republic
4. a
5. c
6. c
7. a
8. probably
9. definitely not
10. definitely
11. probably
12. definitely
13. Knights of the Old Republic

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Darknacht said:
I was just explaining why people are saying that they think story is more important then gameplay. If you are going to work in video game design you will probably to accept.
The most successful video games out there have little to no story, it's always been like this.

1. FIFA, NFL, Football Manager and sports game in general have no stories - you get a team, go vs another and that's it.

2. Neither Sims, nor SimCity has any story.

3. The Elder Scroll, the most selling single player-RPG to date, series is famous for it's freedom of play, instead of railroading to a story (similar to Bioware games)

4. Mario has little-to-no story. Bowser kidnaps the Princess - GO THROUGH ALL THE LEVELS

5. Minecraft and Terraria ( and Kerbal and Dwarf Fortress) have no story in their games.

6. Quake III Arena, Counter-Strike, Unreal Tournament, Halo and Call of Duty, a.k.a one of the best-selling shooters of all times, have all been sold on their multiplayer aspect, in fact only two of those have a story-mode.

7. The whole MMO genre, there's been only one MMO with strong story aspect - Star Wars: The Old Republic, you can tell how well it's fairing. While most of them have story, a lot of it actualy, the great majority of players skip it.

Stories are nice, but it's just to make the game look pretty.