Another Gaming Poll for my studies, please participate!

ADyler

Nov 2, 2012
Oh shoot, I'll chip in too.

1. How old are you? (Please state your age as a number)

2. You are...?
a male

3. Your country?
Latvia

4. Which gaming platform do you mainly use? (state only one)
a PC

5. Approximately how many hours a day do you play videogames? (state only one)
d more than 4 hours

6. What is your prefered genre (state only one)
First Person Shooter / Strategy
Kinda torn up between both.

7. Which aspect of a game is most important to you? (state only one)
a A captivating story
b unique/compelling gameplay
Hrm, going more for story, but I also like to have great gameplay.

8. I am more likely to buy newly released games over games which are older than a year.
Definitely not

9. The quality of graphics in videogames has an influence on my purchase decisions.
Probably not

10. A captivating story/well-written characters/compelling gameplay can compensate for outdated graphics and physics
Definitely

11. I prefer fully-rendered cutscenes over cutscenes which are implemented into the gameplay (e.g. Half-Life 2).
Probably not

12. I am following the technical developements within the gaming industrie with great interest.
Probably not

Bonus question:
13. Name your favorite videogame if you have one (state only one).

Doom (nothing like good ol' demon shooting (and messing around with other space marines on MP))

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
1. 21
2. Male
3. USA
4. PC (that and console emulators)
5. RPG/Action/Platformer (I despise most turn-based combat though)
6. E
7. A/B (Telling story through gameplay is a +)
8. Probably
9. Probably not (Again, gameplay guy. Graphics are a +)
10. Definately
11. Probably not (That and cutscenes benefit being more dynamic if done in real-time)
12. Definitely (Mostly because I'm doing 3D modeling work)
13. Spyro the Dragon. (There's just something about the way the lighting and music is in that game along with it's simple gameplay that compels me. Hardly see anything like that anymore.)

In short, I like action driven gameplay with the story told through it as well dynamically. Aka I like choice.

Okamiyasha

Jun 21, 2012
1. 18
2. a
3. Australia
4. Playstation 3
5. C
6. G (stealth)
7. A
8. Probably
9. Probably not
10. Definitely
11. Probably
12. Definitely
13. Metal Gear Solid 3

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
1. 17

2. a - Male

3. Australia

4. a - PC

5. d - More than 4 hours, though this really depends on the day

6. g - no favourite genre. I have genres I like and dislike, but none that I'd call my favourite, each I prefer at a different time for a different thing.

7. a - A captivating Story. If a story is good enough I can go through it again and again. With gameplay... Generally you finish the first level you've experienced the whole game in that department.

8. I am more likely to buy newly released games over games which are older than a year.
Probably not.

My purchase decisions are unrelated to release date. Generally modern games are becoming more and more crappy IMO, but if a good one comes out, I'll get it. If there's a good old game that I don't have, I'll get that.

9. The quality of graphics in videogames has an influence on my purchase decisions.
Definitely.

I'll call myself a graphics whore. I like my games to look good. So long as they don't look like ass I'll still play them, but I will generally go for the better looking game over the worse looking one out of two games that are complete unknowns to me, especially if they're first/third person and/or action adventure games/FPS.

10. A captivating story/well-written characters/compelling gameplay can compensate for outdated graphics and physics
Definitely.

I don't demand that games be the most modern graphics things out there. I'd like them to be, but so long as the rest of the game is good, and the graphics aren't terrible, I'll play.

11. I prefer fully-rendered cutscenes over cutscenes which are implemented into the gameplay (e.g. Half-Life 2).
I don't know.

Each has there place, and each is appropriate for different genres. RTS and 4X should use pre-rendered, whilst personally I prefer gameplay cutscenes for first person titles, unless they are showing something happening far away that I need to know about.

12. I am following the technical developements within the gaming industrie with great interest.
Definitely.

I look forward to where the future is taking us, and monitoring what goes on in the games industry gives me an idea of what to expect from upcoming games. It also helps me determine which games won't be worth my time - namely the ones with stupid DRM.

Bonus question:
13. Name your favorite videogame if you have one (state only one).

Hmm. I'm going to have to say Civilization IV. I like a lot of games, but Civ IV is one I will never grow tired of, especially with all its mods.

Xariat

Jan 30, 2011
1. 16

2. Male

3. Norway

4. a

5. c

6. c

7. b

8. probably not

9. definitely not

10. definitely

11. probably

12. definitely

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
alphamalet said:
Pretty scary when this many people consider the story, something that doesn't even define a game, as the most important part for them. You can have a game with no story. You can't have a game with no gameplay. Which do you think is more important? Sheesh!
Not a matter of which is more important for the game to be a game, but which is more important to keep me playing the game. I'd rather go read an interesting book than play Tetris because the story is interesting, Tetris' gameplay doesn't compare.
Its the same reason I rarely play multiplayer in games, but will play the campaign a couple of times. I play the game to experience the story, not for the repetitive part that is the gameplay, which quickly becomes old and stale no matter what it is.

No-one is saying that a story is more important than gameplay if a game is to be considered a game, but given the choice between polished gameplay and arse story, or polished story and arse gameplay, they'll take polished story and arse gameplay because its more entertaining to them.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
1. 18
2. a
3. Canada
4. a
5. c
6. c
7. b
8. definitely not
9. probably
10. definitely
11. probably not
12. definitely
13. Bioshock

6urk17s

Nov 16, 2010
1. 15
2. a
3. Latvia
4. a
5. c
6. d
7. b
8. probably not
9. probably not
10. definitely
11. definitely not
12. probably not
13. Star Trek: Armada 2

(13. questions was a bit of a tie between Freelancer and Star Trek: Armada 2, but thankfully, captcha helped me there. Warp speed indeed.)