Another Indie Game Goes Pay-What-You-Want: Sleep is Death

Hazz_11

May 10, 2009
hmm this does look a very interesting prospect but the thing is is any one really going to pay more than they have too and how much are you willing to bet that the downloadable content will be well steep to buy

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Hazz_11 said:
hmm this does look a very interesting prospect but the thing is is any one really going to pay more than they have too and how much are you willing to bet that the downloadable content will be well steep to buy
You underestimate people. The top price paid for the Humble Indie Bundle was $3333.33.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
Hazz_11 said:
The game doesn't have dlc. (at least as far as I know)
Most of the stuff in the game you make yourself, (either via the ingame editor, or outside in paint/gimp/photoshop then import it with InSiDe.
Also if you go to sidtube.com you can dowload stuff people have already made, AND you can look at what stories people have made already with the game.

Also: "The price also includes downloads of all future updates."

Plus, you get a code that works on TWO people, so it is a fair bargain.

I bought this game pre-sale for $7, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, (better than a night to the movies which would've cost me far more).

The only issues I have with the game:
- trying to find people to play it with, (my friends are all active at different times... :/)
- the ingame music editor, while novel, is pretty limited, (would be nice to be able to import midis).
- The speech bubbles are a bit fiddly, and it would be nice if I could create text and speech that aren't attached to objects.

The last two are just me nitpicking, and hopefully one day there would be server support.

Till then, just use Hamachi, it works, me and my friend tried it.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Jaredin said:
Pay what you want unless it's less than we want? I'll pass.
Decoy Doctorpus said:
Yeah, seem like some people are starting to try catch people out...

Although, concept sounds intresting
Seriously? The guy supports a family of 4 on $14k a year and is one of the most celebrated indie developers in the industry. You'd think he could charge the processing/server fees and not catch any flack, but apparently not...

And technically you are paying what you want for the game. The $1.75 is here is like when you have to pay the shipping costs for an otherwise free item.

Moriarty said:
Why is that ironic? Monkey Island 2's graphics were great at the time.
Graphics is one aspect where you can easily see how much work went into a game, and because there's no demo it's the only aspect I can judge the game at the moment.
Funny you should say this, because I don't think that's true at all. I've seen plenty of games with eye-popping graphics have mediocre or outright boring gameplay. It seems games like that would've benefited from putting more work into making their game fun than trying to make it pretty.

In any case, the graphics for Sleep is Death need to be simple because players are required to alter them on the spot. Each "turn" in the game is only 30 seconds, and you often have to draw something completely new in that time.

There are some pretty graphics packs already out for the game though.

Hazz_11 said:
The DLC is free because it's user created. Sort of like how Spore works.

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
boholikeu said:
Moriarty said:
Why is that ironic? Monkey Island 2's graphics were great at the time.
Graphics is one aspect where you can easily see how much work went into a game, and because there's no demo it's the only aspect I can judge the game at the moment.
Funny you should say this, because I don't think that's true at all. I've seen plenty of games with eye-popping graphics have mediocre or outright boring gameplay. It seems games like that would've benefited from putting more work into making their game fun than trying to make it pretty.
I didn't say graphics is the ONLY aspect you can jundge a game, I didn't even say you can judge a game by graphics at all. I said you CAN see wether someone tried to make his game look pretty or not

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
boholikeu said:
Jaredin said:
Pay what you want unless it's less than we want? I'll pass.
Decoy Doctorpus said:
Yeah, seem like some people are starting to try catch people out...

Although, concept sounds intresting
Seriously? The guy supports a family of 4 on $14k a year and is one of the most celebrated indie developers in the industry. You'd think he could charge the processing/server fees and not catch any flack, but apparently not...

And technically you are paying what you want for the game. The $1.75 is here is like when you have to pay the shipping costs for an otherwise free item.

Yeah Indie games, and art games in particular don't get a free ride with me. In fact they probably get it even worse than full blown published games because they're competing against some excellent products that are absolutely free.

I'm not bothered by the $1.75 as a cash sum. I just notice that this move comes hot on the heels of another famous indie developer (and a group of developers doing the same thing) posting a huge success with the scheme and in comparison this is a shoddy deal. Five indie games for any ammount as opposed to one game with a minnimum ammount. One is obviously the better deal.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Decoy Doctorpus said:

Yeah Indie games, and art games in particular don't get a free ride with me. In fact they probably get it even worse than full blown published games because they're competing against some excellent products that are absolutely free.

I'm not bothered by the $1.75 as a cash sum. I just notice that this move comes hot on the heels of another famous indie developer (and a group of developers doing the same thing) posting a huge success with the scheme and in comparison this is a shoddy deal. Five indie games for any ammount as opposed to one game with a minnimum ammount. One is obviously the better deal.
Well, if you are looking for the "better deal", just go to Jason Rohrer's site and download his other 6 critically acclaimed games for free (and you don't have to put in your credit card/paypal info either, unlike the other indie bundles).

The guy has already given a lot to the gaming community without asking for a cent in return. I think he has more than enough justification to charge the processing fee for his latest game without people complaining.