Anti-Gaming Television Episode Earns Official Complaint

pilf

Apr 23, 2008
At first I was mildly intrigued by this, then I saw the words "Daily Mail" and "Channel 5". It was here that I realised there was no chance of any form of intelligent disccusion about the game or its content, or any refernece to real world factors which could have had an influence, occuring within the presence of such biased influences.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Seeing as I've started playing M-rated games at 9, read some violent novels along the way and watched violent movies, the fact that I haven't turned into a gun-toting psychopath should be good enough evidence against your theory, Ms. Diamond.

Apr 28, 2008
So they're ignoring all the things that made these people turn to gangs and all that? Alright then.

Woodsey said:
BoredDragon said:
Holy crap, gamers are actually responding intelligently :O

btw is "The Wright Stuff" the equivalent of FOX in the land of fish and chips?
Not quite. Its a day time chat show for naive, moral guardian-esque housewives on an incredibly unpopular TV channel.

Our equivalent of FOX is probably the Daily Mail (tabloid paper), which the stupid woman in the article writes for.

Wright himself is just a smug twat.
I thought "The Sun" was your version of FOX?

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
BoredDragon said:
More like a retarded version of oprah,
So just like Oprah then.

jurnag12 said:
Seeing as I've started playing M-rated games at 9, read some violent novels along the way and watched violent movies, the fact that I haven't turned into a gun-toting psychopath should be good enough evidence against your theory, Ms. Diamond.
No, see that's just proof that you've hidden your murderous rampages really, really well.

GeeksUtopia

Feb 26, 2011
This is not a convincing argument, this is a one sided argument that uses video images out of context. Yes this is a violent video game, yes this scene is something that has happened and can continue to happen to those who are in the wrong mind set. Though this a an 18+ video game. No minor is supposed to have their hands on such a title unless the parents give the ok to actually purchase such a game. Most parents don't even care what kind of games their kids play yet some want the government to do something about it. The idea of video games affecting teens on how they think and act is sort of double sided and can be expressed on all medium. As me for example been playing violent video games like dead space, fallout, assassins creed, prince of persia, all since i was like 12 and i could be like the nicest guy out there. Many of my friends are the same way and they are not going out commit such crimes. All it takes for such people to commit crimes like this, is abusive lifes, disturbed minds, short tempers, and easily manipulated to do anything.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"Apparently at 10.30 in the morning during the school holidays, it's fine to show scenes from an 18 rated game to set context of how it causes violence," the group wrote [http://gamersvoice.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=118:the-wright-stuff-discusses-whether-violent-video-games-lead-to-violent-behaviour&catid=3:gv-news&Itemid=3], "which goes in some way the level ignorance of all involved in the program on the subject being discussed."
Oh ho! Now something like that would get under the skin of anyone targeted by such a blow. Can't fault the logic.

I agree with the complaint. To have an entire group of people on a talk show hold up violent games and say that they turn people into murderers and anyone who says otherwise is being paid by those people who make those games is being unjust. Could they themselves be being paid by people who can't stand to let violence in video games exist? Those groups undeniably exist and could easily do what they want to to make their opinions heard.

Anyone who wants to see the episode click here and see for yourself, so long as you live in the UK.

Calumon: If what they say is true, and a bajillion people bought the last army... Call of... what's it called... game, then why am I still able to talk to people without being afraid of them hurting me?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Not that I don't agree that Gamer's Voice did the right thing, for they did, but will anyone take them seriously? The stay-at-home moms and elderly already think we are delinquents for sitting alone and using that "damned interwebs", as far as I know.

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
Hopefully anyone that also sees fit to e-mail these people on the matter will be thoughtful enough to make their complaints in a calm, rational, intelligent manner. The people who respond to stuff like this with profanity-laden hate mail almost wind up doing more harm than good... I know it's upsetting, all you're doing is reinforcing the stereotype.

N3vans

Apr 14, 2009
Irridium said:
Sort of, it's just more shouty and retarded and only requires a reading age of three.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I complained about that show too. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Lord knows I wasn't gonna make an impact by myself.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
"We don't really need reports to tell us [that violent video games cause anti social behavior] do we?" she asked. "Common sense tells you if you expose a child to violent imagery and a lot of it for many hours a day for many years on end, it's going to have an effect."

Because "common sense" is an acceptable substitute for formal research. Good to know.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Irridium said:
So they're ignoring all the things that made these people turn to gangs and all that? Alright then.

Woodsey said:
BoredDragon said:
Holy crap, gamers are actually responding intelligently :O

Not quite. Its a day time chat show for naive, moral guardian-esque housewives on an incredibly unpopular TV channel.

Our equivalent of FOX is probably the Daily Mail (tabloid paper), which the stupid woman in the article writes for.

Wright himself is just a smug twat.
Not quite. They're the most popular paper and they're owned by Murdoch, but they weigh in a lot more on celebrities and sport then they do on politics, although they do sometimes try and take turns at the whole "moral guardian" act.

They lie about a fair few things, but noticeably less than the Mail, and they are far less racist - although perhaps they just hide it better.

The Sun is where the masses go to feel like they've done their bit in keeping up with current affairs, the Mail is where nutjobs go to reinforce their paranoia, and because they really believe the shit they're reading. Not to say The Sun isn't bad, just less so.

Oh, and The Sun wanks itself silly over the idea that they're fighting the next World War in Iraq and Afghanistan - anything and everything to do with the army refers to them as "Our Boys".

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
you know i actually saw this and just though "what the hell do they know" no really, these people really dont know, its right there in what that women said, if you expose them to violence then of course its going to have an effect. its idiocy, just because thats what you think doesnt make it a fact.
im glad people have done this is such a matter, and not resorted to, shall we say immature methods of protest. its ashame nothing will come of this and other shows will continue to proclaim these 'facts',

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I wanna know more of this.
But honestly, they break the rules they want to enforce so they could achieve something? I don't get it.
It is like saying.
"Here's a image of the horrible content that is adult rated and your kids are exposed to by violent videogames" on a daytime television.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
"Apparently at 10.30 in the morning during the school holidays, it's fine to show scenes from an 18 rated game to set context of how it causes violence, which goes in some way the level ignorance of all involved in the program on the subject being discussed."

Could not have put it better myself.

MadCapMunchkin

Charismatic Stallion
Apr 23, 2010
...Seriously? Using out of context footage and a moral high ground on one specific case being the norm, rather than it being an isolated incident and that not everyone who plays video games is like that...I hate ignorant people so much...