Anti-Health Care Reform Groups Offer Virtual Currency for Support

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
Aardvark said:
So you sign up, give your name, get your fake money, then send two letters in support of whatever it is they're against, one legitimate letter to cancel out the form letter they send on your behalf, one just to stick it to them. It's win-win. In that you win twice.
That sir, is brilliant. I would doff my cap to you, if I had a cap. Still, clap clap and all that.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
vivaldiscool said:
They're not selling votes, votes aren't even involved. It's just sending an e-mail proclaiming your support for one group or another.

A bit devious, yeah, but it's not illegal and in no way should it be.
What you are missing here is if enough dumbbells sign up just for the virtual cash, then this group will just use the list of names, taking them to congressmen and say, these people want this kind of reform, and will support you in this effort. In a way that is a falsehood, and therefore presents the field of illegality. This group is obviously so concerned that they aren't getting the support they feel they should have, that they are stooping to coupon sales in order to get what they want. There will be a lot of people who will sign up just to get the virtual currency, thinking 'what's the difference?' Well the difference is a new way for lobbyists to get what they want, while the public gets screwed. Again. Only this time the people who signed up will have absolutely nothing to whine about, because they stuck their hands in the box themselves.
In the case of the featured group, Gethealthreformcorrect or whatever, I don't see them standing a chance of getting what they want. But other lobbyist agencies will only follow suit, and that scares me.
Demented Teddy said:
It still F's up the democratic republic system because politicians may make choices based on what they believe is the majority opinion.
Fixed that for ya, and politicians do that anyway. Either way we don't need another stick in the wheel to screw it up even more.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
I have a particular opinion about this. However, I must preface that opinion with one statement.

These people are being paid to generate letters to political leaders from the largest body of individuals possible, by any means necessary, excluding the breach of prosecutable laws. They are doing a spectacular job and should get paid lots of money for following the rules of the system and simultaneously getting the job done in fine form.

THAT said,

This behavior is reprehensible and smacks of fraud, deception, misinformation, false advertising, political malpractice, and uncountable ethical violations. That it is legal remains quite a shock to me. It sounds like something that should carry a punishment of stoning, or at least a very harsh discussion concerning the horizontal inclinations of their mothers.

Susano

Dec 25, 2008
Demented Teddy said:
Lord_Panzer said:
Demented Teddy said:
If you're gonna sell your vote then you don't deserve a vote.
Wrong. If you're going to sell your vote, at least sell it for something worth having.
People selling their votes is a perfect example as to why the majority is unfit to govern itself through democracy.
But surely it would work out in Democracy's favour? If those unfit to vote sell their vote, everyone's happy.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
Aardvark said:
So you sign up, give your name, get your fake money, then send two letters in support of whatever it is they're against, one legitimate letter to cancel out the form letter they send on your behalf, one just to stick it to them. It's win-win. In that you win twice.
I concur with the sentiment of others that this is a simple yet effective way to get what you want and simultaneously counter the activities of the political deviants.

Would your letters include something to the effect of, "These hooligans will be sending you a letter shortly with my name attached to their list of supporters. They paid for my name to be included, and you can be well assured that many other names are likewise purchased."?

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
I now have a deep respect for anti-heath reform groups. I am truly wowed by their legitimacy.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
comadorcrack said:
As an Englishman this doesn't affect me in the slightest.

As a Political Activist however, this shit will not fly.
In true Englishmen fashion I agree! Shamsters will do anything for anything these days...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
wow thats not creepy as hell at all

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Sign me up, had I known they were giving something away, I would have signed up sooner. For hating them that is, these people really have no idea what they're talking about and they're shoveling out misinformation to everyone. I hate this BS seriously.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
Tenmar said:
dietpeachsnapple said:
I have a particular opinion about this. However, I must preface that opinion with one statement.

These people are being paid to generate letters to political leaders from the largest body of individuals possible, by any means necessary, excluding the breach of prosecutable laws. They are doing a spectacular job and should get paid lots of money for following the rules of the system and simultaneously getting the job done in fine form.

THAT said,

This behavior is reprehensible and smacks of fraud, deception, misinformation, false advertising, political malpractice, and uncountable ethical violations. That it is legal remains quite a shock to me. It sounds like something that should carry a punishment of stoning, or at least a very harsh discussion concerning the horizontal inclinations of their mothers.
I agree with the statements you have made. Only in the United States of America have we as a people who have become so secure as a society that we are a nation of makeshift jobs. If people thought painting a fence during the new deal was makeshift then imagine having a job where you were paid for being an activist for corporations.

This is horrible because it creates inflated support against one of the few things as a republican that I support which is public health care. However from the result of this bill I would still pass it but it is the corporations that the people of the United States must start fighting against and not the government. For too long activist groups and lobbyists have put the blame of the government(which one can still be mad at the representatives) which has caused our government since Bush Jr. to become ineffective at really creating substantial change.
The correlation of money to influence is a troublesome issue. Those with money have interests they would prefer to have protected. Because they have money, they are able to contract lawyers and lobbyists to analyze and utilize the system to their advantage by a myriad of means.

Those without money also have interests to protect, which may or may not run contradictory to the interests of the above listed. To compete with the 'highest bidder' lobbyists employed by money endowed organizations, those individuals must organize with others who lack substantial monies, and pool what resources they can spare to hire 'lowest bidder' lobbyists. Alternatively, they can to learn about the system in their spare time, and attempt to enact change themselves.

Those with money have more resources, manpower, and time, which allow them to generate the loudest 'voice.' Representatives may strive to listen to the people. Discerning the difference in value between the whispering poor, and the wailing of a lobbyist cannot be an easy process.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
So a site called "GetHealthReformRight.org" is anti-health reform? It looks to me as if they just want a health bill that won't fuck us all. The Escapist should stay out of the fear mongering business and leave that to the government.

Besides, the House just voted to move out of debate and into passing the bill last night. There isn't much the average person can do to stop it now. Go and sign up for points. Big whoop.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Low Key said:
So a site called "GetHealthReformRight.org" is anti-health reform? It looks to me as if they just want a health bill that won't fuck us all. The Escapist should stay out of the fear mongering business and leave that to the government.

Besides, the House just voted to move out of debate and into passing the bill last night. There isn't much the average person can do to stop it now. Go and sign up for points. Big whoop.
You really think a website thats buying people's votes is going to do the right thing? Yeah, I'm sure it will... hmm

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Doug said:
Low Key said:

You really think a website thats buying people's votes is going to do the right thing? Yeah, I'm sure it will... hmm
I have signed several health reform petitions and haven't received anything in the way of spam or junk mail. Paranoia?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Low Key said:
Doug said:
Low Key said:

I have signed several health reform petitions and haven't received anything in the way of spam or junk mail. Paranoia?
Erm...what? I didn't say anything fucking thing about spam; I said a website that PURCHASES PEOPLES VOTES isn't likely to do whatever's right. Else, why the fuck do they buy people's votes?

What I'm saying is, if you have to pay people to get a vote, they probably aren't likely to be getting geniue public support whilst making it look like they do. This is called 'vote rigging', or more accurately, a bias poll because its a petition and not a vote.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Demented Teddy said:
Susano said:
Demented Teddy said:
Lord_Panzer said:
Demented Teddy said:
If you're gonna sell your vote then you don't deserve a vote.
Wrong. If you're going to sell your vote, at least sell it for something worth having.
People selling their votes is a perfect example as to why the majority is unfit to govern itself through democracy.
But surely it would work out in Democracy's favour? If those unfit to vote sell their vote, everyone's happy.
Not really, the people buying the opinions can use said opinions to fool politicians into believing that what they're lobbying is the majority opinion, what they're doing actually goes against democracy.
Exactly right - further still, if one side doesn't have alot of money, the side with the most money can literally buy an election directly (assuming there are that many people willing to part with their vote).

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Doug said:
Low Key said:
Doug said:
Low Key said:

Erm...what? I didn't say anything fucking thing about spam; I said a website that PURCHASES PEOPLES VOTES isn't likely to do whatever's right. Else, why the fuck do they buy people's votes?

What I'm saying is, if you have to pay people to get a vote, they probably aren't likely to be getting geniue public support whilst making it look like they do. This is called 'vote rigging', or more accurately, a bias poll because its a petition and not a vote.
Do you actually think that will stop the health care reform from passing? I don't think so, which is a damn shame. And if people are willing to compromise their beliefs for some virtual bucks, shame on them too. They deserve to be a statistic. You'll see just how popular this health bill is next November when all of the House seats are up for election.