Anti-Rape underwear

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Boris Goodenough said:
thaluikhain said:
Would that not depend on how they do it?
How about "Learn to defend yourself against assaults!"?
Well...if you don't specify sexual assaults, you're not contributing to myths about them or anything, I guess.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
This is sad..i mean the need to advertise a product as being useful for protection. It might sound weird to say but..nothing will prevent rape in some cases. I mean you could get a chastity belt made out of bloody titanium with 15 locks and 20 chains and it wouldnt protect you from rape. It protects for a time, yes, but if some guy or girl wants to really fuck you (rapists dont really think of themselves as actually raping, its just a definition of the act that sex happens where one party said no), so when they do want to really get into your pants, they will, it might take time, it might be difficult but if they really want to they will find a way.

Its like the internet, or rather security on the internet, firewall, router, anti virus programs, heck even intimate knowledge of the registry and coding and everything wouldnt help, if someone is really determined to hack you, to get some info from you or whatever, it will happen. All those programs do is protect against essentially scattershot attacks. And no, you cant "teach people not to rape", thats like saying we can teach them not to murder, or not to lie..or whatever. There are things you can not teach, or "train" out of people no matter what you do. We are a violent species, so unless we can collectively evolve past our violent behaviours stuff like murder, war and rape will continue to exist.

It sucks, but there we are. I mean if we could just stop doing all the nasty things, we'd probably have done so by now, if not several thousand years ago where such problems were much worse. And as a sidenote, rape is a bit of a mixed bag to begin with when you consider that some countries have laws that having sex while a woman is drunk is equal to rape, by that definition every woman just needs to be drunk 24/7 all year round and any time they have sex, they got raped because of shit like that. It muddles the statistic, not to mention false rape accusations..or women actually raping men.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
A-D. said:
This is sad..i mean the need to advertise a product as being useful for protection. It might sound weird to say but..nothing will prevent rape in some cases. I mean you could get a chastity belt made out of bloody titanium with 15 locks and 20 chains and it wouldnt protect you from rape. It protects for a time, yes, but if some guy or girl wants to really fuck you (rapists dont really think of themselves as actually raping, its just a definition of the act that sex happens where one party said no), so when they do want to really get into your pants, they will, it might take time, it might be difficult but if they really want to they will find a way.
Not to mention, that 90%+ of rapes (at least in the West) are by friends or family members, not someone that grabs you in a back alley.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Urgh. I'm sure they're well-intentioned, but no, I would never wear these in a million years because:

1. They're hideously impractical. As someone else said, what happens if I've had a couple of drinks and desperately need to pee?

2. If (god forbid) I ever found myself in that situation, I really wouldn't want something designed to "frustrate" my attacker in proximity to my genitals. While the whole "stranger rape at knife-point" scenario is actually pretty rare, can you imagine how ugly things would get if you add something specifically designed to piss the attacker off into the equation? Nope, do not want.

Colour Scientist said:
One worrying implication of this is that it puts more of an impetus on the victim to "not get raped."

The clothing choices of rape victims already can come up in court against them (something being too short, too revealing...) so I can see someone going for "were you wearing your anti-rape underwear, no? Just regular underwear? Well, what did you think would happen?"
This. So much.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
Good idea. A rapist is probably looking for a quick rape and would probably be deterred by unyielding resistance and flee. Also, it's rape protection, not murder protection.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
This seems just as good an idea to me as rape insurance.
I don't know how this is supposed to make women feel "safer" but aside from that, the notion of someone putting on their rape underwear because hey, they might get raped today is beyond absurd.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
A-D. said:
And no, you cant "teach people not to rape", thats like saying we can teach them not to murder, or not to lie..or whatever. There are things you can not teach, or "train" out of people no matter what you do. We are a violent species, so unless we can collectively evolve past our violent behaviours stuff like murder, war and rape will continue to exist.

It sucks, but there we are. I mean if we could just stop doing all the nasty things, we'd probably have done so by now, if not several thousand years ago where such problems were much worse.
The truth is though that we are doing much less nasty things than we used to do hundreds of years ago. How could that have happened if any change is as impossible as you claim it to be?

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Boris Goodenough said:
CloudAtlas said:
To do something against rape should not be the responsibility of the victim. Good intentions with these products, I guess, but sending a mixed message.
I am curious, do self defence class advertisements also send a mixed message with regards to violence?
That depends on context, I guess. With sexual assault, we have the problem that we often shift part of the responsibility on the victim, inadvertently or not, instead of the perpetrator. With other assault, not so much. So, in this context, when we talk about how those people who are at risk of sexual assault can protect themselves, we have to be careful about the implications of our words.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
somebody just trying to make a quick buck off of somebody elses fear. Next, we'll see idiots running around with these:

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
evilthecat said:
In fact, if you read very carefully, you'll realize that the product is actually being marketed primarily as a means of controlling feelings of anxiety about rape.
This. Realistically these won't stop rape, which is handy because most of the people that wear them will not be in any particular danger of being raped but will be likely to be worried about it and these are nothing more than a placebo. in fact bush-jump rape isn't that common all told, at least not in the countries where you could buy these, they're marketing safety wear towards a danger people are worried about out of all proportion. If women really want to modify their dress to avoid bad things happening to them they should lose the heels and sew reflective patches to their jackets.

The other thing that could be mentioned but that is always taken the wrong way is that if anyone wants to be safer generally when out at night, from being taken advantage of one way or another, attacked or getting into an accident, there is nothing as productive, as easy to do or cheaper than not drinking alcohol.

Slitzkin

Jul 3, 2011
If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. (duh)

But really, I have never been in a rape situation (thank god) nor do I know enough about the common actions rapists take on their victims.

As far as I know the only way to avoid a rape, is to escape before anything happens. Unless this garment gives the wearer supernatural strength or any other escape mechanism, as far as I'm concerned it's useless.

The only item that I know of that will counter rape are those plastic tubes with the serated blades in them. But it doesn't prevent rape, only mutilates the rapist. It's not prevention, it's revenge but damn it works.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
A-D. said:
And no, you cant "teach people not to rape", thats like saying we can teach them not to murder, or not to lie..or whatever.
yeah you can do that

there's a reason crime rates vary wildly between different areas

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
psijac said:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ar-wear-confidence-protection-that-can-be-worn

What does the peanut gallery think? Good idea or bad? What happens if they don't work due to manufacture error? Is the manufacturer legally liable? Would you wear these yourself?
If something like Neal Stephenson's "Dentata" from Snow Crash actually existed, the physiological deterrent for rape would be huge, even if only a tiny fraction of women used them. I'm not sure if something like underwear armour is actually plausible though, as comfort is not really compatible with protection.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Jacob.pederson said:
If something like Neal Stephenson's "Dentata" from Snow Crash actually existed, the physiological deterrent for rape would be huge, even if only a tiny fraction of women used them.
You mean like the Rapex? They've got those already, it doesn't stop rape. The vast majority of victims know their attackers, they aren't jumped by a stranger.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
There's also the fact that more rapes use the threat of force than actually use force, and it's downright depressing how often "she didn't fight back hard enough" is used as a defense. In such cases, this product could actually help the rapist: "your honor, she was wearing locked panties. It's obvious she wanted it or she wouldn't have taken them off".

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
DataSnake said:
There's also the fact that more rapes use the threat of force than actually use force, and it's downright depressing how often "she didn't fight back hard enough" is used as a defense. In such cases, this product could actually help the rapist: "your honor, she was wearing locked panties. It's obvious she wanted it or she wouldn't have taken them off".
There was a rape case a little while ago, the judge decided it wasn't rape because she was wearing tight jeans, so, yeah, I could see that happening.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
On one hand, i think they can be effective. ANYTHING that makes a rape harder can, as other people mentioened, be enough to scare off an attacker if his attempts of rape are frustrated. BUT, on the other hand, i think it's important not to get hung up in these trousers (pun intended).

And what i mean by that is that we, as a society, shouldn't be putting pressure on women to wear these. Living in a state of paranoia where you feel you need all sorts of protection against all sorts of different things isn't healthy. By and large, most of us live in a society that can be considered rather safe, and unless you go around feeling unsafe for some reason, you shouldn't go acting on paranoia. People who have a positive outlook on life tend to be the happiest, and starting to nag them about all sorts of worries they don't have only serves to lower overall happiness and increase stress.