Anti-Rape underwear

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
Well, the idea is sound, and I like that they're making an effort in prevention. For those saying 'tighter briefs won't completely stop a rapist', I think the point is to delay them, until an actual human being comes to the rescue. This seems to be an... interesting option, but I still think pepper spray, tasers, self-defense classes and whistles are still more effectual methods in preventing these traumatic incidents.

VodkaKnight

Jul 12, 2013
They'll probably only work until someone finds a way around them.
Which will probably take around 20 minutes.
I mean, rape is bad, and a way to delay or stop rape is good, but it won't take people long to get around it.
So it's a good thing blocked by the fact that people always seem to find a way.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
Shame on y'all for being so negative.

These will have an AMAZING effect at one of the most common places rape occurs: parties! If the girl is drunk, these will help her defend long enough to realize what's going on. If the guy is drunk, he'll be too stupid to figure out how to get them off. It's great.

And besides, half of you are dudes. Y'all don't understand how prevalent rape is when you're a girl with a vagina. Having something like this would be a definite peace of mind thing for a lot of women, and honestly it can't hurt.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
A pretty dumb idea. Might provide a false sense of security or protect a few people from extremely random attacks but past that I doubt it will help. It is also baffling that so many people like to equate taking extra measures to protect yourself from being a victim is "victim blaming". It is absurd.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
norashepard said:

These will have an AMAZING effect at one of the most common places rape occurs: parties! If the girl is drunk, these will help her defend long enough to realize what's going on. If the guy is drunk, he'll be too stupid to figure out how to get them off. It's great.

And besides, half of you are dudes. Y'all don't understand how prevalent rape is when you're a girl with a vagina. Having something like this would be a definite peace of mind thing for a lot of women, and honestly it can't hurt.
'

I seriously cannot tell if this is a series post.

A girl with a vagina... Kinda figured that was a big determining factor for being a female.

It also can hurt, because it seems to be offering a product that does little to capitalize on the rampant fear mongering about rape in the west. Don't get me wrong, rape is not good and shouldn't be taken lightly but it's 50's era propaganda levels of ridiculousness. So introducing a product that seems to have a negligible effect in a place where violence is being used, as a preventative measure against rape just comes off as exploitative.

How do you stop rape. Hell, I couldn't tell you how exactly. Not anymore then I could tell you about how to stop people from murder, or thievery. Humans with a certain desperation or a certain level of mental problems, will use violence to get what they want. It's a sad fact of nature and the scarcity resources.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
Its sad that we have to come up with it in the first place.

There same fatal flaws though. Getting them off when your shit face drunk and have to take a pee, or a oh god race against diarrhea.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
th3dark3rsh33p said:
norashepard said:
'

I seriously cannot tell if this is a series post.

A girl with a vagina... Kinda figured that was a big determining factor for being a female.

It also can hurt, because it seems to be offering a product that does little to capitalize on the rampant fear mongering about rape in the west. Don't get me wrong, rape is not good and shouldn't be taken lightly but it's 50's era propaganda levels of ridiculousness. So introducing a product that seems to have a negligible effect in a place where violence is being used, as a preventative measure against rape just comes off as exploitative.

How do you stop rape. Hell, I couldn't tell you how exactly. Not anymore then I could tell you about how to stop people from murder, or thievery. Humans with a certain desperation or a certain level of mental problems, will use violence to get what they want. It's a sad fact of nature and the scarcity resources.
One: There are women without vaginas. Transwomen and intersex women may have penises or other genitalia that aren't vaginas. They're just as female as anyone else however, so no, having a vagina is not the only thing that counts when determining gender. It should also be noted that it is not the only thing that determines whether someone can be raped.

Two: Do you have the stats on how much of a 'negligible effect' these things have? They haven't been released widely yet, so we don't know if they are or aren't effective. I agree that it would seem exploitative if they were in fact just doing this as a cash grab, but shouldn't they at least get a chance to prove they do or don't work before we start writing it off? Also, similar products have been show to be successful in the past, but couldn't continue production due to money problems.

Three: It is true that there are some people who, for whatever reason, really cannot see that their actions hurt others, but I don't think EVERY SINGLE RAPIST falls under that. If that were the case, I would be hella worried for the state of the world because there are a lot of rapists. Many become rapists simply because they aren't told that certain things are wrong. For example, sleeping with a drunk person at a party is rape, but some people don't know that. They think that rape is only something that happens in a dark alleyway with a stranger. If we could educate people, and make them realize that a lot of what they think is alright ISN'T, then rape would go down. Of course that's not going to happen any time soon so long as people still think of rape as a "sad fact of nature" and not a society wide attitude problem.

Matthewmagic

Feb 13, 2010
I used to think things like these where teaching women to be afraid of men. Hell a week ago I would have called this manufacturing fear for the sake of profit.

Then a found http://www.reddit.com/r/TheRedPill/ . I have seen several posts on this subreddits telling men it is "Okay to rape, women like it." So now I think this is the best thing a woman can wear until they find a way to comfortable fit a razor blade in a vagina.

Fleaman

Nov 10, 2010
norashepard said:

Thinking you might have the right of it here. Pepper spray and tasers are nice when you're ambushed in an alley by an eight-foot tall guy in a gimp mask, but are pretty useless when you're drunk or asleep. A layer of passive defense could really work in that situation.

Reiper

Mar 26, 2009
thaluikhain said:
There was a rape case a little while ago, the judge decided it wasn't rape because she was wearing tight jeans, so, yeah, I could see that happening.
Citation needed?

thaluikhain said:
Er...in most western nations, something like 1 in 6 women will be raped during their lifetimes.

Women who go to college in the US have a 1 in 4 chance of being raped while they are there.
I believe that stat is "sexual assault", not rape. Big difference, since inappropriate touching can constitute sexual assault.

CloudAtlas said:
That depends on context, I guess. With sexual assault, we have the problem that we often shift part of the responsibility on the victim, inadvertently or not, instead of the perpetrator. With other assault, not so much. So, in this context, when we talk about how those people who are at risk of sexual assault can protect themselves, we have to be careful about the implications of our words.
Partial responsibility is often shifted onto victims of all types of crime, but for some reason rape victims are given a special pedestal and act as if they are being treated differently. If I went alone through a bad part of town and got mugged in an alley, I would be rightly told that I was retarded for being in that part of town. Tell that to a rape victim in the same situation and somehow you are blaming them for what happened. It does not mean it is their fault, but it is naive to think that no one has a responsibility to look out for themselves, lest you find yourself in a compromising situation.

td:dr

Your personal protection and well being is always your responsibility. We don't live in some perfect world where you can do whatever you want without consequences. One of the reasons I think it is a good idea to carry a gun, but that is another matter entirely...

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
HannesPascal said:
I agree with a lot of people here that it seems slightly better than useless at best and it might not be such a good idea to "frustrate the rapist". Also quote from the website "The garments must be very difficult for someone else to remove by either force or stealth..." how the hell do you remove underwear by stealth?
Clearly you've never been visited by an underwear ninja?.

Anyway, this product exists and it depresses me. It's feeding the "don't get raped" instead of "don't rape" culture and that's just sad.

Aximili

Jan 10, 2014
Reiper said:
I believe that stat is "sexual assault", not rape. Big difference, since inappropriate touching can constitute sexual assault.
Sexual Assault is just the legalese term for rape. 100% of sexual assaults are rapes. There is no difference.

Aximili

Jan 10, 2014
Nigh Invulnerable said:
HannesPascal said:
I agree with a lot of people here that it seems slightly better than useless at best and it might not be such a good idea to "frustrate the rapist". Also quote from the website "The garments must be very difficult for someone else to remove by either force or stealth..." how the hell do you remove underwear by stealth?
Clearly you've never been visited by an underwear ninja?.

Anyway, this product exists and it depresses me. It's feeding the "don't get raped" instead of "don't rape" culture and that's just sad.
Most men don't view rapes as "real" rapes unless it's in very specific circumstances, and you don't even have to look outside this thread to see how prevalent this idea is. I can count on one hand the nerds I've met who don't think rape is either 'cool' or 'sexy'. These are usually the same nerds who can't figure out why women won't go anywhere near them.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
Lionsfan said:
"She says she wants"
Now I don't mean to sound ignorant, but this one really confused me. If a girl says she wants to have sex with a guy and they have sex how is that rape (assuming she is of legal age and sound mind)? I mean isn't that the very definition of consent? Or do you mean she says she want to and then changes her mine, which is a completely different situation in which case the man would be raping her.

OT: Can't see it helping at parties or with date rapes. People have mentioned it could cause a girl to be "Shaken up" from a blackout so she can defend herself, but this seems unrealistic. In a violent ambush "alley style" rape, I think it would anger the attacker which I cannot imagine would be good. I just can't see it helping in anyway. If anything, it would make rape harder to prosecute I think.

That said, I don't think creating a product to help people defend themselves is victim blaming. I do not believe pepper spray, tasers, or encouraging women not to walk alone in bad parts of cities (honestly neither should men if muggings are common) at night are victim blaming either. Its not a woman's fault if she is alone at night or doesn't happen to have pepper spray or a rape whistle, and implying that she should be forced to do those things is absurd and offensive. That said, I DO think that in a select few cases (but not every case), having some layer of defense( be it a barrier like this underwear, a weapon, a group of friends to have her back, or avoiding areas known for rape (some streets have crazy high rates of violent crime and some colleges have frat houses with "rape rooms" which is awful for obvious reasons)) could help a woman get out of a dangerous situation. This isn't unique to rape. I think keeping small amounts of cash and not openly carrying money could help you avoid a mugging. Likewise when I would help provide food to the homeless during high school in dangerous parts of the city we were not allowed to travel in groups smaller than 4 people. I think the mugger would mug someone still and the rapist would rape someone still because no defense is perfect, but there are ways to reduce the probability that you will be a target and ways to increase the possibility of escape or protection. Note I see reduce, not prevent. The crime is not your fault and it is not your fault you were the target, but discouraging the purchase and production of products that could really help someone in a time of need because they could be seen as victim blaming seems silly and even dangerous.

Still, stopping rapes from being committed should be the long term goal and work should be focused on that, but I do not see the problem with giving tools to potential victims to defend themselves before we reach the end goal of stopping rape all together.

If anyone disagrees with my views I would really like to hear your opinions and your reasons for disagreeing with me so that I can reevaluate any flawed beliefs that I have, though I ask that the conversation remain civil and that you consider my points as well.

Reiper

Mar 26, 2009
Aximili said:
Reiper said:
Sexual Assault is just the legalese term for rape. 100% of sexual assaults are rapes. There is no difference.
No they really are not the same, at least where I live. There are different levels of sexual assault, with only the highest levels being forced intercourse. IE slapping a girls bum qualifies legally as sexual assault, but it would be ridiculous to call it rape.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
All that video did was sadden me. The fact that people feel the need to lock up their genitals from sexual predators is just sad.

FabTails

Oct 25, 2013
CloudAtlas said:
To do something against rape should not be the responsibility of the victim.
Yeah! Just like preventing theft should not be the responsibility of the victim! Locking your door is just sending mixed messages and it makes people believe theft is the victim's fault...

That's obviously sarcasm and I understand theft and rape are different things, but what you are saying is silly. Doing something to lower your chances of being a victim of a crime is a great idea. No matter how much flowery rhetoric and good will and "education" you put into the public, there are still bad areas and there are still bad people. Why is it so wrong to wise up to this and try to do things to prevent yourself becoming a victim?

Sir Pootis

Aug 4, 2012
I don't really think this will work. I don't see anyone giving up on raping someone because their underwear was really hard to take off. It seems like a quick attempt to cash in off of people who have anxiety about this sort of thing.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Winthrop said:
Lionsfan said:
"She says she wants"
Now I don't mean to sound ignorant, but this one really confused me. If a girl says she wants to have sex with a guy and they have sex how is that rape (assuming she is of legal age and sound mind)? I mean isn't that the very definition of consent? Or do you mean she says she want to and then changes her mine, which is a completely different situation in which case the man would be raping her.
Well, I'd say it's the latter considering the question was 'A girl is oblicated to have sex with a guy if...'

So, those girls think that if they say they want to have sex, they are then oblicated to, even if they later change their mind, because they think if they have already consented they can't back out of it.

Which wouldn't necessarily be rape, depending on if they express that they have changed their mind.