Antitheists and hypocrisy (SORRY FOR MAKING A RELIGION THREAD)

Circleseer

Aug 14, 2009
People are intolerant.
They always think they are right, and that everyone should agree.

Besides, not a lot of people have arguments convincing enough to convert anyone into anything anyway.

At the end of the day, it's up to oneself to decide what they believe.

(I do know some people who aren't really atheist, but who claim to be so because their friends are, though)

eatenbyagrue

Dec 25, 2008
Lumping atheists together like some kind of church is insulting to atheists.

Like if say, we started lumping every Christian in the world under "hooting Jesus-freak", every Muslim as "bearded crazed terrorist" and every New Ager as "post-60's stoner". It would be incredibly offensive, and just plain wrong.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
bodyklok said:
headshotcatcher said:
bodyklok said:
Stop grouping Atheists and anti-theists together.
Well they both call themselves Atheists so that's what leads me to this conclusion >.>
Yes, just like how the Christians who believe that all homosexuals should be burned alive and the Christians who believe in love and peace both call themselves Christians.
Exactly

AND I'm terribly sorry I thought I had worded my OP differently but it said I thought all atheists forced atheism but I fixed it now.

sethzard said:
generally atheists have reached their conclusion logically whereas theist's beliefs are pure faith with no evidence to back it up, atheists try and convert people because they have some basis for not beleiving in god, or at least they feel that their is no reason for belief in god.
But WHY do they want to be right? Shouldn't it be more fun that "the joke is on them because they are blatant idiots who REALLY believe that?"

Just let Religious people be as long as they're happy and don't hurt people its okay

J0k3

Aug 29, 2009
sigh..

Whatever happened to "Believe in your own ideals but respect others beliefs"
I can see this thread degenerating into another mud slinging contest...

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Some people treat it like a religion, besides people usually in all things have a need to voice their opinion onto others and try and change their viewpoint on something they dont understand

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
the reason is a simple matter of perception of the subject matter
atheists and theists view religion (or their lack of it) in a different way

theists view religion as dogma - something "holy" that is not to be opposed or contradicted, and hence not subject it to debate or discussion, because thats how dogma works

atheists view their atheism as an argument - something to be discussed, raising point for and against, and repeatedly subjected to debate, because thats how the scientific world view works

provide atheists a chance to discuss it (by raising the topic of religion) and they will jump on it
becuase to athists, there is nothing wrong, or amoral about discussing religion openly

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
I just dont give a fuck anymore. Im not going to try to convince people that there is no god and if anyone tries to convert me il tell them to piss off. If they are mormons il tell them no thanks, Im a Satanist. If that doesnt get them away from my front door nothing will.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Skeleon said:
headshotcatcher said:
Why did you quote my post for that when you didn't respond to it?
I responded with a quote of what I told another person, should've made it more clear, true.

KiiWii said:
Like i said in the last few atheist threads, i dont force my belief on people if they dont force it on me. But if they do force it on me, i will tear them down. =]

A religious persons argument inst "prove there is a god", it's "prove there is no god". Which is about as valid as saying "prove there is no monkey in this room". You can never fully prove the fact there is no monkey in the room, therefore somewhere in the room, there is a monkey.
Scientific arguments would be, "prove there is a monkey in the room", so there is no monkey in the room until we can prove that there is.
But people in court are innocent unless proven otherwise as well, aren't they (eventhough that could possibly mean the opposite of what it means to me >.<)

Lazier Than Thou said:
Never really understood atheist missionaries, myself. If they're right and they convert someone, it doesn't change anything as they'll still die and be thrust into that void anyway. The same is not true for the theist, however, who believes they are helping someone be saved from eternal consequences(sounded nicer than Hell).

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
That is an interesting reply, eventhough I have no idea what I could say except for this but in the end it's probably the same as the 'older kids' (metaphor for atheists) telling the 'younger kids who believe in santa' (go figure) that 'santa is not real' (god is not real)

In the end of the day most people still party at christmas so think what you want about this metaphor :p

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
bladeofdarkness said:
the reason is a simple matter of perception of the subject matter
atheists and theists view religion (or their lack of it) in a different way

theists view religion as dogma - something "holy| that is not to be opposed or contradicted, and hence not subject it to debate or discussion, because thats how dogma works

atheists view their atheism as an argument - something to be discussed, raising point for and against, and repeatedly subjected to debate, because thats how the scientific world view works
Wow that's not one sided at all. I certainly didn't take away the idea that you found theists to all be fascists that want to control your life and that atheists were only reasonable people who like puppies and enjoy skipping through a meadow of daisies after a light rain.

KiiWii

Feb 3, 2008
I guess they'll always be extremeness in some groups, i dont necessaries see religion as a bad thing, but people are killed in the name of these people gods. Throughout history and even today people are being murdered in the name of gods. Thats when they have to calm down.

In a line, if your father REALLY loves you, what about the other families?

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
one sided, but true
tell an atheist he is wrong about being an atheist - he's not really likely to be offended by it

J0k3

Aug 29, 2009
please... to say christmas has a meaning in this age is like saying PS3's are innovative.
They celebrate christmas in china for crying out loud.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
headshotcatcher said:
Ah, I see.
Well, bodyklok made the failings of this argument quite clear.
Generalization is wrong, no matter if we talk about theists or atheists.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
eatenbyagrue said:
Lumping atheists together like some kind of church is insulting to atheists.

Like if say, we started lumping every Christian in the world under "hooting Jesus-freak", every Muslim as "bearded crazed terrorist" and every New Ager as "post-60's stoner". It would be incredibly offensive, and just plain wrong.
Because of course you are not calling every Christian a Creationist and dumping us all on the same pile.

No, sir, no.

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
bladeofdarkness said:
one sided, but true
tell an atheist he is wrong about being an atheist - he's not really likely to be offended by it
I've told quite a few atheists they were wrong. I've been yelled at, called names, and had physical violence threatened.

Atheism isn't any different from theism. It's still emotional, it's still going to hurt when someone disagrees.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Abedeus said:
Because of course you are not calling every Christian a Creationist and dumping us all on the same pile.

No, sir, no.
No, we don't.
There are some vocal idiots in every group, though.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
The fact is that hypocrisy is the only way to do what is right (by your standards). People fight wars to protect people??? Anarchists don't win cause they are not ordered and therefore weak in their individuality. People who fight those lawless individuals such as terrorists need to be just as lawless to be successful.

Face it, hypocrisy is all around us and hypocrisy is the way to go when fighting a battle. And yes there is a battle. The religious believe that their path is the path to salvation and so try and convert to 'save souls', while those who are not religious seek truth and understnading and try and convert people out of what they see as a delusional belief without any solid foundations.

Summary: Yes I have noticed but this hypocrisy is the only way to win the battle (trust me the battle is raging on even as we speak)

My final note: I HATE HYPOCRISY!!! (See the hypocrisy in that?)

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
J0k3 said:
please... to say christmas has a meaning in this age is like saying PS3's are innovative.
They celebrate christmas in china for crying out loud.
It was a METAPHOR for crying out loud

And I meant christmas as the thing where santa supposedly leaves gifts under the christmas tree in this metaphor

KiiWii said:
I guess they'll always be extremeness in some groups, i dont necessaries see religion as a bad thing, but people are killed in the name of these people gods. Throughout history and even today people are being murdered in the name of gods. Thats when they have to calm down.

In a line, if your father REALLY loves you, what about the other families?
I guess this is true but people always make the mistake of thinking atheists don't have extremities like that because there's never been any crusades or jihads by atheists..

bladeofdarkness said:
one sided, but true
But what you are forgetting that most atheists won't change their beliefs anyway, they just discuss it ignorantly (not saying that theists would change their beliefs or that they don't have ignorant people though)