Any Bad games you enjoy?

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
Obviously this is subjective by what is bad, and what isn't. What I define as bad are the games that are panned by critics and joked about by fans for how bad or how under wealming it is.

My choice, the Force Unleashed 2, I admit to enjoying the first one's story and combat controls, god I loved the combat ,and the second game in my opinion delivers a bad ass simulator. I feel like I could take on the whole empire on my own.

I know its story is bad, the game is short, and the player is completely OP, but its still a nice cathartic romp which I do enjoy coming back too now and again.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I actually really enjoy playing the much panned Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness. The game was half finished and it's chock full of bugs and plot twists that don't make sense because of the unfinished content that was cut out, but it's strangely endearing to me. Lara's bizarrely hostile to everyone and she moves like a tank; the game has an item collection and shop mechanic that you can't do anything with because the shops only let you sell items to get useless money; you get to play as another character for one section that controls even worse than Lara; but it's all strangely loveable. It at least has a good atmosphere, mostly because the soundtrack was done by the London Symphony Orchestra.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Cross Edge and White Knight Chronicles were two games I absolutely hated (especially Cross Edge with its nonsense true end requirements)...yet after playing each of them for 100+ hours I actually came to enjoy them...I'd not play them again of course, but by the end I was actually pretty satisfied.

Now if we're not talking about games that didn't just dull me to the pain of playing them than I'd say FF13. The hype behind it at the time was pretty big due to how long it'd been since the last proper FF, and how it'd been in development. However as I wasn't really following it I didn't have that weighing me down and enjoyed it all well enough.

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
Voulan said:
I actually really enjoy playing the much panned Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness. The game was half finished and it's chock full of bugs and plot twists that don't make sense because of the unfinished content that was cut out, but it's strangely endearing to me. Lara's bizarrely hostile to everyone and she moves like a tank; the game has an item collection and shop mechanic that you can't do anything with because the shops only let you sell items to get useless money; you get to play as another character for one section that controls even worse than Lara; but it's all strangely loveable. It at least has a good atmosphere, mostly because the soundtrack was done by the London Symphony Orchestra.
*chuckles* very interesting. Sometimes a bad game can have its charms. And hey good soundtrack sometimes, look at the Cheetah Men

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Dead Space 3.
Make no mistake this is not a good game.

For your tense survival horror, your players should not be asking these questions:
1. Do I want to strap a rocket launcher or a lightning cannon to my chain gun?
2. Why can't I hold all these medkits?
3. Why aren't my enemies more afraid of me? considering the trail of dismembered corpses I'm leaving behind.

I found my self asking these questions through out DS3.
But it had that Borderlands feel to it.
Of finding that ridiculously overpowered combination and bull rushing through content that was meant to be scary.
I felt badass when I took down 8 slashers in 12 seconds in a rotating ballet of sniper rifle fire.

I'm glad I got it from the humble bundle, because I'm sure as hell not giving EA money for it.

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
I'm also gonna go with Dead Space 3

Because
A: while it's not very scary, that's a plus in my book because I'm a scaredy cat and don't like scary games that much
and
B: It is actually one of the best co-op campaign games on PC that I've tried so far. Other than RE5 I can't think of any games that come close to doing it that well.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Tenkage said:
Voulan said:
*chuckles* very interesting. Sometimes a bad game can have its charms. And hey good soundtrack sometimes, look at the Cheetah Men
The soundtrack is insanely good, and it's not often we have classical orchestra music in games. Especially during intense gun fighting sequences.

And I must say in the game's defence that the stealth sections were actually pretty cool. Breaking into the Louvre has got to be one of my most favourite moments in video games.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
Lego Rock Raiders the video game. Playing that as a kid oh my god it is fucking amazing and I still like this with mods. But i checked the meta critic for it just out of curiosity and it was not looking pretty there.

For the people saying Dead space 3 I never knew that was considered a bad game? Just too derivative from previous titles for long time fans.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Tenkage said:
My choice, the Force Unleashed 2, I admit to enjoying the first one's story and combat controls, god I loved the combat ,and the second game in my opinion delivers a bad ass simulator. I feel like I could take on the whole empire on my own.

I know its story is bad, the game is short, and the player is completely OP, but its still a nice cathartic romp which I do enjoy coming back too now and again.
The Force Unleashed was a great game, a great taster of what an over powered force user could do.
The second was ruched out of the door after half of the people making it left/ were fired.

It's still a good game, but I finished it in 4 hours and wondered if I'd missed something! Would have loved a conclusion though... "Wait! I need closure on that anecdote!"

my two penneth worth, probably Dragon Age II, I know I'm not the only person who likes it, but it seems there's more hate for this game than love so it gets my vote

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Dead Space 3 is an exercise in character assassination, has abandoned much of what made Dead Space, Dead Space and is a disgrace to the series. I shouldn't be running around not caring where I shoot the enemies because strategic dismemberment is a thing of the past, you can dismember things but it doesn't really matter. I shouldn't be running around this place frustrated that I can't pick anything up because my inventory is overflowing with medkits and ammo. I hate it as a Dead Space game.

But yeah I enjoyed myself. I would have preferred an actual Dead Space game, but it was alright as just a game.
Chaingun with stasis coating and an underslung force gun was my favorite, it trivialises the game even more.

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
Drejer43 said:
Lego Rock Raiders the video game. Playing that as a kid oh my god it is fucking amazing and I still like this with mods. But i checked the meta critic for it just out of curiosity and it was not looking pretty there.

For the people saying Dead space 3 I never knew that was considered a bad game? Just too derivative from previous titles for long time fans.
WAIT...rock raiders was considered a bad game, I loved it as a kid...hmm guess no accouting for tastes LOL

Apr 25, 2009
Drejer43 said:

WHO SAID ROCK RAIDERS IS BAD? I'LL FUCK THEM UP. That was one of my very first video games, except for when I used to run around and explore Quake 1 multiplayer maps offline and shoot the walls. Then once I shot the ground underneath me with a rocket launcher and little me looked on in sheer horror as my character exploded into low-poly bloody chunks.

Bad games I enjoy though... hmmm. Not sure. Most of the games I play are either obscure indie games, niche titles or generally well received by the masses...

I guess I really enjoyed Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands. It was a pretty good-to-average game but by Christ did they drop the ball at the end. It was a real shame actually.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I quite enjoyed Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z. It is a good visceral game for getting rid of tension, and the graphics are quite pretty but it is not the best game, nor is it my favourite game by any stretch, sometimes the humour really starts to grate at me, and Yaiba is really quite unlikeable, but I suppose that is meant to be the point of him.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Tropico 2 is mine. It completely deviated from the first and many hated it for that. Instead of being El Presidente, you were El Capitan of pirates on a pirate island. Make no mistake this game has flaws crawling out of the disc drive but man, I loved it for some reason. I think they had something with fear for captives vs liberty for pirates yet the captives would serve the pirates so you had to be mindful of your layout. Ransoms, exploration of nearby islands, looting, etc. It just offered a much more diverse gameplay. Yet the game was panned. Many Tropico fans don't even seem to care for it. In fairness though, it is hard to miss the flaws.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Tenkage said:
the Force Unleashed 2
I enjoyed the hell out of that game. Short and a bullshit story, but the overpowered Force mayhem was great.

Digi7 said:
I guess I really enjoyed Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands.
It was a true to form Prince of Persia game and a fun one at that. Sure it was a little uninspired at times, but I enjoyed it.

And some others:

Final Fantasy XIII. I can perfectly see what's wrong with it and why everyone hates it, but I couldn't help liking it all the same. Final Fantasy XII as well, although I can't for the life of me understand why it's so disliked.

Dante's Inferno. It was a lot of cheap pandering, but I enjoyed the combat system (I liked it better than God of War's) and it had a great atmosphere at times.

Max Payne 3. Same story as FFXIII, really: lots of things wrong with it, but still enjoyable for me, especially the multiplayer.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I really enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog for some reason, I know most people hated it, but I really enjoyed it for some reason. The story was silly, but I never really took it that seriously anyway and honestly I didn't find the gameplay that bad either.

Tenkage said:
Drejer43 said:

WAIT...rock raiders was considered a bad game, I loved it as a kid...hmm guess no accounting for taste LOL
I didn't know Rock Raiders was considered a bad game either. I really loved that game as a kid. I never finished it though, sadly. I got stuck on some level late in the game and just stopped playing soon after. The only problem I ever had with it was sometimes my workers would just go on break and stop doing what I wanted them to do, that could get annoying, but otherwise it was a really great game. You know, in retrospect, that was probably my first RTS.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Call it Stockholm Syndrome but I had more fun beating Sonic 06 than I had trying to play through the Genesis Sonic games or, CD. I also had a good time playing Ride to Hell: Retribution for the hour or so that I had with it. It was pretty bad yeah but it was the good kind of bad like The Room or, Asylum movies.

Another big one that I had fun with was Duke Nukem Forever. It's the only recent FPS that I played through 3 times in a row on easy, hard and, super-dooper hard (with cheats enabled). I had to adjust my expectations of course and I didn't buy it new but for the $15 that I paid for DNF, I had a good time.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Well, if I played it enough to enjoy it, I don't think it was bad then.

That said, I stand up for Metal Gear Solid 4. I liked it, and I thought it was a good ending for Snake.

And I liked Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2. I think they're good games which require a bit more work to appreciate, but if they hadn't been called Final Fantasy everyone would have loved them.

The 1st Corpse Party. It's the most unintuitive game ever which will kill you again and again with no option to go back and fix your mistake forcing you to start again and still not tell you what you did wrong (what; did you not think to go to the part of the school you've never been in, go into the corner of that one room and pick up a key from a corpse that looks like every other?), but damn if I didn't enjoy it when I used a guide.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Surprisingly nobody mentioned the non-game Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing yet, and I'd say that I also had some fun with Naughty Bear and the aforementioned Force Unleashed II.

I have to say, there was something about the Invisible challenges in Naughty Bear that really made them fun for me, even though there wasn't that much of a stealth mechanic.