Any cyberpunk story recommendations like deus ex human revolution/deus ex

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
Baneat said:
crusha_aa said:
Blade Runner is the obvious one. That film pretty much gave birth to cyberpunk (correct me if i'm wrong anyone).
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is the superior story version.
Its hard to call Androids the "Superior Story version" in my personal opinion.

Blade Runner's visual style gave its story a lot of depth, and the changes they did make to it's story were quite well done.

I'm not saying Blade Runner's story was any better then Androids, just for different tastes.

GeneralOpinion said:
I've noticed no one has mentioned the Matrix franchise.. It has a pretty cyberpunk feel to it.
Considering the first movie was the only one that was any good, and that the Matrix made constant references to things like Akira and Ghost in the Machine it tends to be better to recommend those.

johnzaku

Jun 16, 2009
Funkysandwich said:
Phoenixmgs said:
SnakeCL said:
Ghost in the Shell for anime. Both the movies, and the series "Stand Alone Complex" and "Second Gig" Actually, the setting itself in GitS is more of a "post augmentation" world.
Ghost in the Shell is so good, it's not one of the best anime series I've seen, it's one of the best TV shows I've seen. I usually dislike most anime but Ghost in the Shell is pretty much devoid of any common anime traits I loathe.
Ghost in the Shell is really, really good. I'm currently watching it alongside playing Deus Ex: HR and there are a lot of interesting similarities between the two. Hell, Ghost in the Shell is practically Deus Ex in Japan, give or take a few differences in technology and terminology.
Yes! You watch dis, you watch dis NOW! They are all amazingly well thought out and there's even a sublot in a couple episodes of the series that deal with cyber-racism. Actually it's a major theme of 2nd Gig.

Also, check out a lot of the robot short stories and novels by Isaac Asimov.

What else.... I'll update more if I think of any ^^

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Does Systemshock count?
Not sure, never really got into the Cyberpunk genre.
Yeah, System Shock counts.

OT: I dunno. I'm not really too well acquainted with the cyberpunk genre of things.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
SnakeCL said:
Ghost in the Shell for anime. Both the movies, and the series "Stand Alone Complex" and "Second Gig" Actually, the setting itself in GitS is more of a "post augmentation" world.
This, so much goddamn this.

I was introduced to the Deus Ex universe after Ghost in the Shell and the similarities in it all made me love Human Revolution just that bit more, awesome cyberpunk right here.

JezebelinHell

Dec 9, 2010
As far as the Shadowrun books, I recommend starting with the trilogy by Robert Charrette. He had a short story in the original rule book and those characters are in the trilogy. I have read most of them, those 3 are still my favorite. Nigel Findley and Tom Dowd are a two others to look for. All 3 had their hands in creating the original RPG.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
GeneralOpinion said:
I've noticed no one has mentioned the Matrix franchise.. It has a pretty cyberpunk feel to it.
Well, the OP themselves mentioned it so I'm guessing that's why it hasn't been suggested. :)

Though I would agree that it's a great watch. The first movie is certainly the one with the most cyberpunk edge to it, but I still hold that the series as a whole is good as long as you bear in mind that Reloaded and Revolutions were originally intended to be a single film. Also of note is the Animatrix series of shorts. They're worth seeing even if you aren't into the main Matrix films.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Hardware, a 1992 flick written and directed by Richard Stanley.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099740/

An AI retrieved from the desert rebuilds itself and runs amok. Difficult to find, but worth the effort. [though I see there was a 2009 DVD release . . . hmmm]

He also directed Dust Devil, a horror movie set in South Africa, which is much easier to find. Strictly speaking Dust Devil isn't CP, but it has many CP elements - a noir feel, technology left to rot, the breakdown of society. Zakes Mokae plays the lead investigator and gives an excellent performance.

gCrusher

Mar 17, 2011
Catilleon said:
I'm not sure if anyone's said this yet but the book Snow Crash,its not as pure a cyberpunk as the Sprawl Series but its one of my personal favourites and I think more people need to read it.
Absolutely. Neal Stephenson is amazing.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
GeneralOpinion said:
Ehm sorry I just gotta point it out: Read first post I quote "PS: Things I've seen The matrix trilogy, yea that's about it I know"
;-P

And to me most of the ones, well ok all, I can think of has been put up already..

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
Gattaca first sprung to mind... Being able to tailor your kids from talents to looks before they're even conceived... Man that's weird.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
I'd also reccomend anything by Phillip K Dick, he wrote a lot of great cold war era sci-fi. I read a collection of his short stories once and it blew my mind.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Not sure if it's cyber punk or just some sort of future noir thing, but the Tex Murphy series is prett good. If you can come to terms with it being a bit crummy to actually play at times. It's on gog in any case.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
Best cyberpunk game besides Deus Ex is System shock, try system shock 2 first, System Shock one is on the old build engine and is very hard to get into, despite it being one well made game.

And try Second Sight, its not cyber punk but it is similar to the original Deus Ex in that it has one of the best story lines and contains some good supernatural powers. Its on steam, just note the controls are a bit, frustrating.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Metropolis, the German cyberpunk silent Movie from the 20's. Which is regarded by many as the first Cyberpunk movie ever created.

You can even watch the full movie (with the recently recovered footage) legally on youtube, as the copyrights for it have been abolished years ago. It's rather boring at times (due to it's age), but the classical music throughout is top notch, and really sets a bleak tone.