Any games where you liked the sequel more than the first?

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
So, are there any games out there where you liked the sequel better than the original? I'm sure there are a few.

For me, I sort of enjoyed Drakengard 2 more than the first. The first was brilliant and I loved everything about it, but there was something about the second game that made me enjoy it even more.

I also liked Parasite Eve 2 more than the first one.

Now, you guys?

May 23, 2010
Tough one. Hmm. Starwars Battlefront 2 comes to mind. Some good things there - but they DID remove cloud city...

Huh.

AHA! Age of Empires 2.

EDIT: Team Fortress 2 of course.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Diablo 2. Expanded everything the first game had and then some. An absolute stand up game, considering its age. Hopefully D3 can go one step further.

And:
Timesplitters 2
Saints Row 2

Also I can see a lot of Mass Effect 2's coming..

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Uncharted 2 is the one I think of off the top of my head.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
ODST to Halo 3, Rock Band 2, Call of Duty 2, Civ IV, Far Cry 2, GRAW2, Gears 2, all great games.

Chancie

Sep 23, 2009
SUPA FRANKY said:
I preferred Shadow Hearts Covenant. The original Shadow Hearts was good too.
Ah, another Shadow Hearts fan!
I personally think they're both great, though I like the first a little bit more. It's a close call, though.

Now, From The New World was one that I really didn't like it. It was a decent game, but a terrible Shadow Hearts game.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
I seem to be one of those rare mutants that actually liked Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 better than the original.

StoneHeart

Jun 11, 2010
Spiderman 2. That game surprised me since it was a movie game as well.

CountFenring said:
ODST to Halo 3, Rock Band 2, Call of Duty 2, Civ IV, Far Cry 2, GRAW2, Gears 2, all great games.
How could you say Gears 2?

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Chancie said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
I preferred Shadow Hearts Covenant. The original Shadow Hearts was good too.
Ah, another Shadow Hearts fan!
I personally think they're both great, though I like the first a little bit more. It's a close call, though.

Now, From The New World was one that I really didn't like it. It was a decent game, but a terrible Shadow Hearts game.
*Hugs*

Hello, my brother!

Yea, FTNW really did suck. I liked it in a way, but it was the death of the series. Also it was short, the characters weren't fleshed out at all. Getting Soul Energy took FOREVER, and it was too comedic at times. Also, Johnny, I love ya, but you ain't got nothing on Yuri.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
XinfiniteX said:
Also I can see a lot of Mass Effect 2's coming..
You know us so well. Also that is true, they tried to extract anything bad and improve on the good, very few devs do anything other than change the graphics and make the protagonist at least 25% more grizzled.

TheDoctor455 said:
I seem to be one of those rare mutants that actually liked Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 better than the original.
I only had two playthroughs, way back in the mists of time, and I've heard for years about how terrible and broken and blindingly bad it was but I don't remember anything wrong with it.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
I preferred Golden Sun The Lost Age over the first one. Although maybe the fact that I played the sequel first without realizing it. When I did finally play GS1, it just didn't feel as fun for some reason. I guess because I already knew everything that happened by that point.

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
Half life 2, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank 2, Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time...
I was about to say Assassin's Creed 2, but I honestly don't think I can. I mean, yes, ACII is a better game. But if you have played the first one, you will remember that feeling that you get after sneaking into a heavily guarded fortress, pulling off an epic assassination, and escaping with half a city of guards chasing you. I remember one time, when I kept letting myself get seen by the guards, just after an assassination, for almost 45 minutes, just because it was so damn fun!
Sure, the second one was much better, but it was just way too easy. It just didn't give me that gut feeling of fun that the first one did.
So yes. ACII was better than the first one, but AC was more fun. Does that make any sense?

Omikron009

May 22, 2009
Assassin's Creed 2, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Doom 2, Fallout 3, Halo 2, Mercenaries 2.

To name a few.