Any musicians around here?

Epsilon125

Jan 2, 2010
Another Guitarist (7ish years) here! I've played Electric in Bass in some local Rock Bands, I write and record some acoustic stuff on my own, and I just picked up a classical guitar which I'm attempting to experiment with. Yay musicians!

IvoryTriforce

Nov 14, 2013
Epsilon125 said:
Another Guitarist (7ish years) here! I've played Electric in Bass in some local Rock Bands, I write and record some acoustic stuff on my own, and I just picked up a classical guitar which I'm attempting to experiment with. Yay musicians!
Awesome! Sounds like you have some good times ahead of you :).
Classical guitar really is wonderful, a lot of the time I find people like to play songs that they are familiar with (also helps them spot a bad note) like video game music. If you are interested in fingerstyle classical video game music, I suggest you look up a YouTuber named "lonlonjp". On YouTube, he labels his videos as easy, medium, hard, etc. and I really like that. Just thought I would give you a heads up! You can find tabs and sheet music of his around the internet. He also sells his newer arrangements. All classical guitar.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Gwen Utopia said:
I've been playing clarinet for about 8 or years now, I believe, and tenor saxophone for 4 or so. I also have a guiar but I'm complete crap with it. :p

trollnystan said:
Welcome to the Escapist! That's all I have to say really, as I don't play an instrument. Wish I did but don't have the patience to learn. All I can do is sing a bit, but unlike sky14kemea I don't practise beyond howling along to things on my playlist - or if I've been asked to sing at a funeral, which hasn't happened more than twice thank goodness. I even asked for feedback in the advice forums here when practising to sing for my granny's funeral.

I approve of this talk of an Escapist band. MAKE IT SO. *sips Earl Grey tea*
I played at my aunts funeral, even wrote my own short piece for it. It's really strange experience, since while I'm quite proud of my performance it turns out it's really difficult to keep a steady tone if you're on the verge of crying the whole time.

Not something I'd be eager to do again
My cousin was like that when she sang at our grandfather's funeral; I didn't start crying until I heard her sing so brokenly because her loss affected me more than my own. (I barely really knew the man so...)

Myself? I dunno. I'm weird I guess. I tend not to cry at funerals, or at least not until they're over and done with. Maybe because I've experienced so many deaths? My problem with singing at my aunt's and then my grandmother's funeral was more that I have severe stage fright and so at my aunt's funeral I had problems standing up and almost tore down all the note-holders trying to pull myself up out of my seat, and at my grandmother's I had an aunt sit next to me as moral support just in case I did break down from nerves or grief.

It was a rather cathartic though, that I could grant my aunt her wish that I sing and that I could say goodbye to my grandmother by singing one of her favourite songs. I miss them. I wouldn't want to do it again either though; I'd rather people stop dying around me =/

Apr 24, 2008
I like to play.

I'm alright on guitar. I can sing, play some piano, and some mandolin and some basic drumming is within my range.

A sample : https://soundcloud.com/mrshpanda/drunken-midnight-blues-2

Oh, also a video.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
I've played Piano for like 10 years. I almost exclusively played Chopin for the past 3-4 but I've recently started learning a piece by Mozart.

I also play Trumpet, and used to be in like 7 orchestras. Since I've left school I haven't played it so much but I might start practicing it again soon.

EDIT: I've also made some stuff electronically but not for a while and I haven't uploaded most of it.

https://soundcloud.com/reemy-b

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
I play piano, violin, and organ. I also have a few other instruments that I play much less seriously: a 12 hole ocarina (like the one from Zelda), soprano recorder, and alto recorder. My school's music department also has an antique harpsichord that I occasionally play on.

I'm an applied physics and chemistry major, but I take a lot of courses at university in music. I'm learning to compose and I may take a course or two in conducting sometime before I graduate, although that would almost certainly be useless to me.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
IvoryTriforce said:
suitepee7 said:
i play guitar, have done for around... 8 years now? in the last 2 years i've finally started learning musical theory, wish i'd started earlier =[
It's not critical but it helps you understand sheet a bit better, also helps if you're a hardcore song writer. I only took it very minor for 1 year in high school, but even that little bit nudged me in a good direction.
yeah i'm not too interested in sheet music. well, not the notation anyway, everything else is fine, i just suck at reading notation, but i can get the general idea of note length etc. main reason i'm learning is for better improvisation, i love just getting a backing track on and just soloing over the top, seeing what ideas work and what sounds awful. also, great tool to have for jamming sessions with friends

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
I do music for a living. Trombone, drums, arranging, composing. My wife is also a musician. We have a little one who likes to jump up and down to music.

My current frustration over music is with movie soundtracks. Why does everything dark have to sound like Batman? WHY??!!??

Feedmeketamine

Sep 29, 2013
Im a guitarist of about 7 years, would like to get into writing songs but i have some sort of writers block there(everything i write is shit), can also play the piano a bit

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Music brings people together. It's the universal vibration, man...

(Sorry...I went to San Francisco recently and apparently brought some of it back!)

Anyway, welcome, IvoryTriforce. Great topic for a thread.

I've been playing guitar for...sigh...35 years (Uh...I started when I was 2. Yeah...that's the ticket). I sing and play bass as well, although I started on the piano and played some flute for awhile.

Played in local clubs since the mid nineties, though right now I just do some e-session work for various people. Want to get that business into full gear.

But in the meantime, here's some of my stuff on ReverbNation:

http://www.reverbnation.com/shudahg

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Welcome to The Escapist!

As for myself, I play the guitar, and I got up to grade 7. I'm into a wide variety of music, and I will try almost any piece once, however, these past couple of months I have been very busy with work (I am a biochemist by trade) and I haven't had the time to play my guitars, which is something I hope to remedy very soon. I wouldn't say that I am amazing at playing, but I always try and improve, which is all that I want really.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Well hey there! Welcome!

I play the piano, I've been playing for 11 years now. These days I mostly play video game music too. I play a few Zelda pieces, but mostly Final Fantasy. Though at the moment I'm working on learning pieces from The Phantom of the Opera. It's fantastic music and really fun to play.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Hey there!

I'm finishing my last exam this upcoming Monday, leaving me with three whole months of free time so I'm definitely going to dust of the old guitar and jam a bit. I'm practically gonna have to start over though since its been a whole year since I last played :p

Also definitely getting a decent a electric guitar and Rocksmith, tried it at a friend's house and absolutely love it! It really makes a pretty decent learning tool and that sessions mode looks amazeballs.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I'm an amateur trumpet player who's the son of a professional trumpet player. I know if I actually worked at it, I could actually get good at it. Maybe even start getting money for playing. I also know that the amount of work I'd need to put into it would force me to leave my current studies and possibly suck out the fun for me. I like challenging pieces but I can't take the same path as my Father did. Music is his life, its just a component of mine.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Personally I love a nice dynamic mix but sadly can't often master my stuff this way in the knowledge that such a huge percentage listens to it on horrid phone & laptop speakers. I end up smashing things a lot more than I'd like to
You could always do a mix and put it up on bandcamp as a separate collection. That's not being hosted on the Escapist and music lovers tend to use better speakers or headphones. If you weren't already.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
IvoryTriforce said:
Hi, this is my first thread!

I am new around these parts and like with every forum I go on (a very small number), I ask this.

Who out there plays a musical instrument? I just like seeing who else started their journey with music and is possibly continuing with it :).

I'll tell you a little bit about myself. My name is IvoryTriforce, I picked this name because I currently play piano and I usually play video game music. However, most of the time it's just Zelda music. I've been playing guitar for about 7 years and I did play classical guitar and learn musical theory in school. I decided to move to piano about a week ago and I'm enjoying it greatly, I'm getting the hang of it a lot quicker than I thought.
Welcome to the escapist. I myself play a small amount of piano. Enough to play songs that only go from middle C to G on the right hand and down to the lower octave C on the left. Yeah not impressive I know. My main instrument though is trombone which I played from 7th grade to now basically. Though I am no longer part of any official or unofficial band. I occasionally visit noteflight.com to transpose music that I've found or rearrange pieces so they play for the trombone. Namely video game themes and anime opening themes.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Quoted MoS because I want his opinion on the mix of what I'm about to post.

Welcome to the Escapist! Have fun, and if no one has mentioned it yet, make sure to stay out of the basement.

I play guitar a lot, but recently I've taken to making chiptune music. I did a whole album of it recently, and while it's a little on the short side, I'm still extremely proud of it. The album is located on Bandcamp ( http://projectredflag.bandcamp.com/album/event-horizon ), but I have a remix I did on an Animal Crossing song uploaded to YouTube that I'm particularly proud of.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
GiantRaven said:
I'm a Guitarist/Bassist. Used to be in a band a long time back but haven't really done anything of that sorts for a long time now. These days I'm mostly doing LSDJ programming on my Gameboy. I released my first album [http://ravenstone.bandcamp.com/] on bandcamp a month or two, which was a fun experience.

I'd really like to get back into some rock or metal type stuff though. Unfortunately my job pretty much wouldn't give me any time to practise with people.
This is crazy good! I've been thinking about getting into LSDJ recently, how hard is it to learn/set up?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
MisterGobbles said:
Quoted MoS because I want his opinion on the mix of what I'm about to post.
I'm no expert on chiptunes, far from it, but I enjoyed it! Is the 'mix' even relevant with chiptunes? There is no mix really from what I can hear, the melodies are all important and in that area, at least in my humble opinion, you certainly have a knack for it :)

Redlin5 said:
You could always do a mix and put it up on bandcamp as a separate collection. That's not being hosted on the Escapist and music lovers tend to use better speakers or headphones. If you weren't already.
NIN did this recently and I think it's an awesome idea. If I have time i will certainly look into it.

mitchell271 said:
See, I've never understood that. I've always thought that you should do music for your own sake, not worrying about what other people think about it. Look at me, I write extreme thrash like Slayer or Exodus.
I thought the same way for a decade and then I got sick of being broke. I enjoy having a wide audience and any small sacrifices I have to make to maintain that are worth it ;)

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
MisterGobbles said:
GiantRaven said:
I'm a Guitarist/Bassist. Used to be in a band a long time back but haven't really done anything of that sorts for a long time now. These days I'm mostly doing LSDJ programming on my Gameboy. I released my first album [http://ravenstone.bandcamp.com/] on bandcamp a month or two, which was a fun experience.

I'd really like to get back into some rock or metal type stuff though. Unfortunately my job pretty much wouldn't give me any time to practise with people.
This is crazy good! I've been thinking about getting into LSDJ recently, how hard is it to learn/set up?
Once you get your head around the confusing interface, it's really easy to sequence stuff. When you first start using it though, it's very hard to parse. There are lots of great tutorials around to show the basics though.

Actually making the instruments/sounds is a little more difficult. I still haven't really gotten my head around the Wave channel. I've mostly been looking at things other people do and copying their settings.

It's well worth getting into - very satisfying once you begin to move on from the early struggling.