Any personal projects you're trying to get round to?

Pebblig

Jan 27, 2011
Finally painted my bike after sanding it down, constructed at the moment, but still needs the brakes and gears sorted. As far as barely started projects go, I'm making a USB NES controller. I have everything, but my projects do tend to last a long time as I do the odd hour/2 hours, rather having consistent time on it.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Pebblig said:
Finally painted my bike after sanding it down, constructed at the moment, but still needs the brakes and gears sorted. As far as barely started projects go, I'm making a USB NES controller. I have everything, but my projects do tend to last a long time as I do the odd hour/2 hours, rather having consistent time on it.
This reminds me that I need to get around to building a MAME arcade cabinet. >.>

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
Fappy said:
damselgaming said:
Writing my D&D campaign- not that I've lined anyone up to play it yet- I'm halfway through the writing, then need to make all the maps/boards/etc. V.Excited!
My problem when I plan campaigns is actually the opposite. I usually have TOO MANY people who want to play. Pretty soon here I am going to actually sit one of our new guys down and explain to him that jumping in on the third campaign in a three-campaign long story where everyone is playing the same characters starting at at level 12 in a home-brew rule set is not the best way to get into table top gaming. Having him would be problematic for a plethora of reasons D:
There's nothing worse than trying to squeeze a new player into a slow burning game. When I have everything set up, i might just throw it up on facebook and do first come first serve! It's only really written for a party of 4.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
damselgaming said:
Fappy said:
damselgaming said:
Writing my D&D campaign- not that I've lined anyone up to play it yet- I'm halfway through the writing, then need to make all the maps/boards/etc. V.Excited!
My problem when I plan campaigns is actually the opposite. I usually have TOO MANY people who want to play. Pretty soon here I am going to actually sit one of our new guys down and explain to him that jumping in on the third campaign in a three-campaign long story where everyone is playing the same characters starting at at level 12 in a home-brew rule set is not the best way to get into table top gaming. Having him would be problematic for a plethora of reasons D:
There's nothing worse than trying to squeeze a new player into a slow burning game. When I have everything set up, i might just throw it up on facebook and do first come first serve! It's only really written for a party of 4.
Yeah, if you have anything remotely concrete set up in your game it is best to limit the party size. I learned that the hard way a few years ago when running a Star Wars campaign in college. I think we cycled through like 9 players, only four of which actually made it to the end (not because they died but because they were unreliable morons).

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
OT:

1) Find the time to finish writing one of my partially finished books. My ADHD kicks in and I cant seem to finish any one of them.

2) Turn my old cellphone into a remote detonation device(for fireworks.)

3) Start working out on a consistent schedule.

ToTaL LoLiGe said:
3. Read more books(Suggestions welcome)
I keep a txt file list of books that I want to buy, while I cant explicitly recommend them(as I have not read them,) they sounded good to me:

Roadside Picnic (Book) Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism (Book) Robert Pape
Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking (Book) Malcolm Gladwell
The Space Merchants (Book) Frederik Pohl & C M Kornbluth
Player Piano (Book) Kurt Vonnegut
War & Peace (Book) Leo Tolstoy
The Canterbury Tales (Book) Geoffrey Chaucer
Slaughterhouse-Five (Book) Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Good-Bye to All That (Book) Robert Graves
Portnoy's Complaint (Book) Philip Roth
The Sun Also Rises (Book) Ernest Hemingway
Point Counter Point (Book) Aldous Huxley
The Magus (Book) John Fowles
The Door into Summer (Book) Heinlein
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (Book) Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
What to Expect When You're Expected: A Fetus's Guide to the First Three Trimesters (Book) David Javerbaum
A Maze of Death (Book) Philip K. Dick
The Forever War (Book) Joe Haldeman

I tend to like sci fi, so if thats your thing most of these books will work. I can recommend you some more that I have actually read, when I have more time later if you'd like.

One I would most definitely recommend off the top of my head that I have read two or three times now would be Darkness at Noon by Arthur Koestler. It is in my estimation one of the best books ever written, and we actually used it as required reading for a history of the USSR course I took. It is essentially about a man who is thrown into a Gulag and is broken down slowly and forced to confess to things he never did. The imagery and the writing is so compact and beautiful. It has no wasted space, very short and good.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
I need to finish my original (re: slightly less of a carbon copy of shit than Eragon was) sci-fi novel, AND get around to finish that Batman Gotham High fanfic I was doing as a self-imposed challenge. And there was also that fanfic I was challenged to do of SasukexHinata that had to involve a genie in a lamp.

I have a lot of writing to do x_x

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
MY BOOKS!!

I have spent many hours and have lots of content that I am just waiting for the right moment to buckle down and get some hard copies on the ground. There are just a few things that are getting in the way:

1. Staying Focused: I literally get ideas for future or new content that I have to jot it down and make it great or fit in to what I have already written down. A few weeks ago, I was certain that I had completed a series of stories and was ready to write it down. Now, I have two completely new stories that uses similar sources and it is taking me some to get it all down.

2. Deciding what to write down: I more or less have got this figured out. I'm just trying to stay consistent to it so that I don't go into a more complex story instead of a more concise one.

3. Letting go: I am always constantly revisiting some old content and changing it or adding new elements to it. At some point, I am just going to need to send out what I have and maybe make changes in the future.

Eventidal

Nov 11, 2009
First off, developing a game on my own, and this is my first so there's a lot to learn as I go.
Second, creating a custom race for Skyrim. Still building the mesh right now, so we'll see how I'm able to figure that process out...

Ytomyth

Nov 13, 2011
1. Finally finishing that Minecraft map I've been playing on since Beta (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1510089-exploration/ <- To give you an idea of the wip it is), probably never will since I always come up with new stuff...sometimes not even finishing the old before that. xD

2. Moar playing of teh guitarrr.

3. Writing; loads of ideas, never found the peace and quiet time to actually sit down and get something done...

At the moment my study is taking the biggest part of my time unfortunately. :( But that'll change in a couple of years....xD

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Too many to count but they are mostly all related to the game I'm coding. Working on the music at the moment as the exact mechanics for a couple of bits are being quite complex to balance correctly.

And also planning out a novel in preperation for NanoWriMo next month.