Any words that you simply CANNOT speak.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
Don Savik said:
BlackStar42 said:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. The longest place name in the UK.
Does Cthulhu's family live there or something? Goddam you cant even pronounce that many letters together lacking vowels.
It's impossible in English.... but translate it and it works -- [St] Mary's Church (Llanfair) [in] the hollow (pwll) of the white hazel (gwyngyll) near (goger) the rapid whirlpool (y chwyrndrobwll) [and] the church of [St] Tysilio (llantysilio) with a red cave ([a]g ogo goch).

Technically not a word... it's a town.

OT - good thread!

I think it calls for some 30 Rock

I struggle with juror as well as community... but I am improving with both... I hope...

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
The French pronunciation of "R" is tough for me sometimes.
Especially when I'm on the spot in class having to pronounce a word with only a few syllables that makes it nearly impossible to cover up the R sound.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
troyrich said:
I used to find it impossible to say innovative.. but i recently managed it somehow :p

Can;t say Anenome though (probably spelt wrong.. its the plant that Nemo lives in!) whenever i try i just get this stammer An...an...a...an...anena...fuckit!
Try saying "An enemy".

Personally, I have troubles with floccinaucinihilipilification. I keep saying "philipifica" instead "hilipilifica".

It's kind of sad.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I'm pretty sure it has to do with talking fast quite often. But there are a lot of stuff I've never said properly.

Two things that come to mind off the top of my head are the names of two schools where I live.

An elementary school called D. Mac Ray gets muddled into "D Mac Grey" and a middle school called Dunbar is always pronounced "Dumbar."

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
jFr[e said:
ak93]
Don Savik said:
BlackStar42 said:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. The longest place name in the UK.
Does Cthulhu's family live there or something? Goddam you cant even pronounce that many letters together lacking vowels.
It's impossible in English.... but translate it and it works -- [St] Mary's Church (Llanfair) [in] the hollow (pwll) of the white hazel (gwyngyll) near (goger) the rapid whirlpool (y chwyrndrobwll) [and] the church of [St] Tysilio (llantysilio) with a red cave ([a]g ogo goch).

Technically not a word... it's a town.

OT - good thread!

I think it calls for some 30 Rock

I struggle with juror as well as community... but I am improving with both... I hope...
Also, Welsh vowels are different than vowels in pretty much any other language -- so are the consonants, for that matter. W makes an ooh sound, and DD makes a soft th sound, so, for example, the University of Aberstwydd (I hope I spelled that right) would be pronounced "University of Ab-Er-Stew-Ith." Incidentally, Tolkien used some very Welsh-like pronunciation rules in a lot of his made up languages; I know for a fact that Dh makes a soft th sound in elvish, and kh makes a ch sound in Dwarven -- meaning that "Khazad-Dum" is properly pronounced "Chaz-ad-doom," while "Galadhrim", properly pronounced, would be something like "Gal-uh-thrim."

Jan 23, 2010
Counter intuitively.

Becomes counter intuvivlvly.

:(

I can't even spell it actually. I had to rely on the damn spell checker. And I was way off. FML

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Innovative, I always throw in an extra syllable and end up with ininovative. Every God damn time.

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
I find myself occasionally saying the word programming like "pogramming" or "porgramming" if I'm not paying attention to my own speech. Which happens more than you'd think.

Often my train of thought will go too fast for my speech to keep up and I'll end up squishing two consecutive words I'm trying to say together. Like if I was going to start a sentence with "The bank rang..." I'd end up saying "The brang... erm sorry, the bank rang..."

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Not me, but I know someone who can't pronounce the name "Martin" with an english accent.

Princess_Dee

Feb 5, 2011
Rural.
I have so much trouble with it. And after a few failed attempts at correcting myself it comes out "RURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRL."

Also ***sin***
The Russian word for son. "Sin" But draw the tongue back. "Selyn." "Scene." "Seehn."
Bah!! Minya eta ne nravitsa....

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
dogenzakaminion said:
Staskala said:
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg.
I can say Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft though.
This is why German is the coolest language around. That work actually makes sense, but you did forget that "dampfschifffahrt" has three "f's".
Going Grammar Nazi on a German? Bad idea.
While "Schifffahrt" is the correct spelling these days, the company was always called Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft, because at the time of its founding "Schiffahrt" was still correct. Meanwhile the company has changed hands (and names) a few times and currently calls itself "Erste Donau-Dampfschiffahrts-Gesellschaft" - still with only 2 f's.
By the way, that (i.e. the various language reforms) is the reason why German is most definitely not the coolest language around. There are quite a few things where I have no idea if what I'm writing is still considered right.

Cleariously

Mar 25, 2011
Comando96 said:
TrilbyWill said:
Don Savik said:
BlackStar42 said:
its in wales.
i will assume this is a valid reason.
Thats because when we invaded they created their own language to fuck with us so they could speak in code we couldn't understand... we still can't >.>

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is the example of two people in the war office responsible for creating fake names, drunk(of course) and one giving the other a dare.

(this is all a joke, don't be offended the people of wales)
That would imply that welsh people can speak welsh, and believe me, we can't.

I can say Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch however.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Asside from those from other languages, the only one I can think of is '****' it's such an ugly word in every sense, it sounds ugly, it feels ugly to say, and it means something extremely ugly. Not sure how anyone can stand saying it cause when I do it feels like I'm trying to regurgitate a brick.

mmins

Aug 22, 2011
I can't say Massachusetts either.
Feels bad man...
I also cant say Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia.