Anybody find sex overrated?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Redryhno said:
Shraggler said:
Sex is the epitome of physical pleasure that we can naturally experience (i.e. sans drugs or some sort of artificial, neuro-scientific experiment).

An orgasm... what is even a near-equivalent experience?
I dunno man, I've had that rare poo that just hits all the right spots after a week of nothing but lime yogurt, juice, and fruit. It's pretty damn great.

But I will say that sex CAN be overrated. Mostly when you're a teenager/new at it and much like cussing, you don't know how to fucking do it(not that I think I've ever gotten better at cussing). You've got to have a couple partners and yourself looking to find out about bodies, much like anything else, it's noticing patterns and figuring out what needs to be tickled in what order. Before that, sex is just another one of those things. It's free, it's fun, and it's for 2-50 players, it's the perfect party game!

canadamus_prime said:
I couldn't tell you, I've never had it. I'll tell you one thing, society's fixation on it has made me scared shitless.
Not much to be scared about really, just some self-control and someone else that wants to try it out with ya. And honestly most of society's fixation I've found is the romanticized trust you have to have for someone to do it with. Though that's been somewhat changed the last few decades.

Lil devils x said:
I actually think sex is underrated and that adults, in general, should have more of it.

http://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/guide/sex-and-health

Sex should be enjoyed every day, multiple times a day! :D
Isn't that also the site people go on to find out why their head hurts after asprin and find out they have rare genetic deformity that only affects members of the Southern Italian Peninsula Aristocracy that ruled circa 1420?

Not to dismiss it, but the site's not exactly the most reliable source as anything other than just a specific wiki/TVTropes type thing.
Although most medical sites on the internet are only considered 40- 60% accurate due to the ever changing face of medicine, The information on Web MD is Peer reviewed by reputable physicians and medical professionals therefore is considered somewhat reliable. It should be noted, however, that Web MD is not a non profit site, but instead funded by advertisers that do use the information to focus their ads towards medications that could possibly be used for related conditions. Although that particular article was reviewed by Dr. Michael W. Smith, MD There are numerous studies that have shown many more health benefits to sex than just the ones listed there. You should not confuse peer reviewed articles with " symptom checkers" however, unless someone is properly examined they would not know whether or not to rule out specific conditions, that is what you go to your physician for, not try to self treat on the internet. That article was just an easy to read " downsized" for the general public article showing some of the health benefits from sex. There are actually MANY more than were listed there.

For example:
http://www.cleveland.com/medical/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1254817926112790.xml&coll=2
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2996660/
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10508-006-9071-1
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/paintracking/201111/the-healing-powers-sex
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763412000565
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-sex/201101/attention-ladies-semen-is-antidepressant

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Mister K said:
I don't find it overrated. BUT I think I can see the problem: for decades now, media has been feeding people footage of people having some kind of crazy (almost narcotic) pleasure from it. So, younger generations who hadn't had one expect this reaction for themselves.
What is often left out is that having sex with a random person is, while nice, will not feel super awesome. What is often left out is that the greatest pleasure comes from doing it with (and satisfying) a person you deeply care about, a person that is your best friend and your sexual idol in one body.
Some people DO actually have more than a "narcotic" pleasure from sex though. The strength and frequency of orgasms vary so greatly that some people have body shaking uncontrollable multiple orgasms quickly and easily while others have nothing. Those having the stronger orgasms are usually the ones who think it is the greatest thing ever, while those lacking are usually the ones not very impressed. Even what people consider to be " better sex" either with a loving partner or someone they just met greatly varies as well depending on the person. For some, having sex with the same person is monotonous and they have better sex with less familiar partners. It just depends on the individual.

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
I'm weird in that while I do not find much pleasure from another person playing with my junk I love to play with theirs. There
s just something about feeling my partner clench around my fingers or tongue that I find so satisfying. I think it may be a self esteem thing in my case I am incompetent in most all areas but at least I have some value as her pleasure bringer.

That said I masturbate regularly though I wouldn't really describe it as ecstatic just something I am compelled to do like eating or going to the toilet

Serinanth

Apr 29, 2009
Nope, we've been together for 7 years now. Still just as much fun as in the beginning, if not more so. We are in our mid 30's and also enjoy going out and doing things but to rather go do errands than play pelvic peanuckle?

I'm sorry man, that must suck.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Johnny Impact said:
Instinct is a damn nuisance...Nothing good has ever come from it. Stop the car, I want to get out.
Definitely this. If I'm going to remain alone despite my best efforts, I'd just as soon have the whole drive removed wholesale. That way I could actually get shit done in my life without my biology fucking me over.

Of course, you can't say that out loud most of the time (at least with certain groups or in certain situations), because then you're some MRA/MGTOW freak that needs to immediately be isolated and belittled.

But anyway. :/

rorychief

Mar 1, 2013
I don't think it's overrated. I've not enjoyed sex on occasion, but as a serial monogamist I far more often feel a great sense of wellbeing afterward, both of the chemical reward kind and the ego boost that is making a lady satisfied. I respect a guy who can admit he's not enjoying his sex though, given guys are supposed to be happy with just getting it even if the girl (or guy) just lies there like a sack of lame.
The whole guys want it all the time thrope is really grating, especially in media where a guy is super talented or passionate but his skills are written as a temporary substitute for sex. He's a master engineer only because he needed somewhere to put his energy after being ignored by women. Ultimately these people are fixed or humanised by a late in life sexual experience, and they inevitably bemoan all the time they'd wasted til this point not having sex.

I once heard a description of heaven whereby paradise is just a room where you sit forever holding an egg, but god makes it so that everything you've ever desired is in holding that egg, rendering you absolutely content to the point of having no interest in earth or the wider universe beyond heaven. All your needs have been met. I think sex for some people can be like holding that egg, only after a couple of centuries spent holding that egg they realize they're is no god brain hack which makes the egg seem more awesome than it is, its just an egg.
Sure there's some nice dimples and speckles that can be appreciated for what they are, but it hardly seems a fitting reward for a life well lived. Everyone else is smiling serenely at their eggs, there's must be different to yours. But then you wonder why everyone feels the need to turn to their neighbor and boast about the divine qualities of their egg, surely if holding the egg was that all consumingly blissful then you wouldn't be able to acknowledge anything outside it. If all eggs are equally great, and they are all great, why do people have to assure one another that they have great eggs? Why compare them? Why waste good egg gazing time pitying the people who don't have eggs? And you conclude then that all these other people must be lying. They haven't been hypnotized or enraptured by the egg either, they're just pretending because to admit the egg isn't working like its supposed to would mean they're broken inside or god didn't love them enough to reward them with an egg centered mind. So they all just sit there smiling blissfully, unwilling to call one another's bluff, all sighing and doting on eggs forever until one person stands up and declares they'll be leaving their egg while they go visiting upstairs to ask the Big Man about the big bang and free will.

Mik Sunrider

Dec 21, 2013
Why does everyone have to make everything so complicated?
If you are thinking sex is too overrated or underrated, then you are thinking too much. Don't think about, do it!

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
No.

There is such a thing as really bad sex though. Really bad sex is awkward, it plods uphill, taking too much effort to reach the top and when it climaxes it feels like a droplet falling into a steel bucket from eight feet. This I have to say is what many of my one night stands have been.

When you find the right person they just know how to move, how to touch, it's a completely different experience, It's both surprising and comforting, both emotional and physical. It's like that first drop on the hill of a roller coaster except from space and it starts in your groin and creeps up your spine and into your head and several seconds after climax it's like waking up from a dream and the only thing you can do is laugh at how intense it was; even then it's not about you it's about your partner, the emotional and physical cooperation and intimacy is so potent.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Pure physical pleasure, the raw experience of sex, is fickle and can change so easily for me depending on so many little things that it's hard to say what it is and just say what it CAN be. The deepening of the emotional connection with someone you love, so often called making love, is by far the best part as at least for me it enhances that physical pleasure. Like how making the right people smile can put a smile on your face, the sound of somebody I am deeply in love with moaning and staring right back at me is erotic beyond words.

DarkBlood626

Nov 9, 2008
I'm curious. To all the people who would say that sex is 'overrated'I ask- Did you happen to have a piece of your genitals (the foreskin) cut off as a baby? If so, that could account for it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Redryhno said:
canadamus_prime said:
I couldn't tell you, I've never had it. I'll tell you one thing, society's fixation on it has made me scared shitless.
Not much to be scared about really, just some self-control and someone else that wants to try it out with ya. And honestly most of society's fixation I've found is the romanticized trust you have to have for someone to do it with. Though that's been somewhat changed the last few decades.
After watching shows like CSI and what not, I don't think "romanticized" is the word I would use.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Johnny Novgorod said:
PsychicTaco115 said:
Sex is like pizza

Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good

I guess the toppings would be kinks/fetishes which make it much more exciting ;D
Sex is like ice-cream. Every flavor is good. Even if it's just vanilla.
Sex is like a grapefruit, you have a risk of getting fluids in your eye

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Pyrian said:
Blizzards with accompanying power outages always result in local baby booms nine months later.
As a September baby born in central Illinois, I'll attest to that. :D

OT - Nope. Not overrated in my book. I was with one girlfriend for five years and sex never got old, even when it happened 7 to 10 times a week on average.

The only boring sex I ever had was the few times I tried it with guys. That was just... ew. I tried to convince myself that I was bi (because that's what I told everyone) and eventually owned up to the fact that I'm 100% lesbian and that's never going to change. Twice in my life I had mediocre sex, but both times were threesomes and having a guy around hugely diminished the experience. I wouldn't go near him or let him near me. lol No hard feelings (pun NOT intended) in either direction though. ;)

That said, every time I've been with another woman, the sex was electrifying. Every. Single. Time.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I wouldn't know if it was overrated or not. Haven't had the opportunity to find out with a living person, and necrophilia is commonly seen in a negative light.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
PsychicTaco115 said:
Sex is like pizza

Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good

I guess the toppings would be kinks/fetishes which make it much more exciting ;D
If you told me that my next sexual encounter way going to be the equivalent of Little Caesars or Shakey's Pizza I'd give serious thoughts to becoming a eunuch.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
I think sex is overrated, but then again I'm essentially asexual and panromantic... Which means if there is gonna be sex, the person has to be right, at which point it would be "making love", not just sex. Still the sex part really isn't all that interesting to me, the intimacy and closeness is more important.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It took me four or five partners before I realized that I was asexual so forgive the bias when I say that yes: sex is definitely over-rated. If I'm being completely, brutally honest; I would rather play through Final Fantasy XIII again than attempt another sexual encounter. I just don't like like any of the sensations or fluids or, stickiness...I don't see the appeal...my dislike of children is another factor...I don't want to do anything that would result in me having one of those things.