Anyone avoiding Amiibos

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
I've been avoiding amiibos because I'm still pissied about how Nintendo handled the E-reader. Which was pretty much the foundation of this if you go back far enough. E-reader, then Hyper scan, Sky landers, Disney infinity, pokemon rumble and now Amiibos. Nintendo just let the E-reader die, and didn't make it useable to the next GBA redesign. Still mad about how that went down.

Its freakin hard to avoid Amiibos because I'm a scalper, I like Nintendo stuff, my friends have them and they work with future games that I plan to buy. Every time I see one, I'm like I suck at smash, and does this warrant dropping 13 bucks just to activate content in about ` to 3 games

Anyone else avoid Amiibos, maybe completely or until they do something a future game you plan to purchase. I caved in and got Kirby because it was on sale and I saw people customizing there amiibo I wanted to make mines Black and white. People please stop paying over MSRP. Its only out out of stock in America I believe and they'll probably get reprints.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I wouldn't buy an amiibo (or is it styled Amiibo?) either way, they cost $25 where I live in Argentina.
You think that's expensive, they cost freaking $70 at the GameStop in Uruguay, if you can believe that.
Even if they were $13 "properly" over here, I wouldn't waste that kind of money on something that isn't a videogame. Nobody would.
From where I'm standing this whole craze looks a lot like a Turbo Man/Malibu Stacy kind of craze.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Not avoiding them as such but I wouldnt buy one unless I saw a super rare one that I could resell for loads of money. They just dont appeal to me same deal with Skylanders and the Disney Infinity stuff I have yet to see a good use for them. I also dont know anyone who has even one Amiibo.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I honestly have no idea what the hell they are. I mean, I get that they are Nintendo branded statues of Nintendo characters, but like, what do they do? I mean, these things are being hyped all over, and are being scalped left and right, so they must do something spectacular, but what?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'd maybe buy one if I found one of a character I found really cool or if I found a really rare one I was sure I could resell but that's about it. I have no real interest in them otherwise. My interest in purchasing them or not doesn't really have anything to do with a moral stance against Nintendo's marketing and distribution choices.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Laggyteabag said:
I honestly have no idea what the hell they are. I mean, I get that they are Nintendo branded statues of Nintendo characters, but like, what do they do? I mean, these things are being hyped all over, and are being scalped left and right, so they must do something spectacular, but what?
Nintendo's latest gimmick.
So far it's compatible with 3 Wii U games.
In Hyrule Warriors they unlock weapons, in Mario Kart 8 they unlock skins.
In Super Smash Bros. they seem to work a lot like Pokemon. You can train/level/customize a certain character, then save that character's data into the Amiibo, allowing you to carry it over to other consoles and have it fight other players/Amiibos. You have no direct control over it. So it's essentially a pen drive that exclusively stores a certain kind of data, and doubles as a figurine.
I think the reason everybody and their mother went crazy about this is because there's supposedly so few of them.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
I'm avoiding them just because of the scarcity situation. Seriously, get your shit together, Nintendo.
Once they clarify the situation, confirm that more stock is on the way, and I can easily grab the ones I want for a reasonable price, then I'll buy some, but not a moment earlier.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I wouldn't buy an amiibo (or is it styled Amiibo?) either way, they cost $25 where I live in Argentina.
You think that's expensive, they cost freaking $70 at the GameStop in Uruguay, if you can believe that.
Even if they were $13 "properly" over here, I wouldn't waste that kind of money on something that isn't a videogame. Nobody would.
From where I'm standing this whole craze looks a lot like a Turbo Man/Malibu Stacy kind of craze.
That is a damn shame. The build quality isn't worth 13 dollars. I know Miyamoto said they might come out with cards which I hope are cheaper and are easier to carry around. The NFC chip is super tiny that's the only thing you need.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
No, but I'm not going to pay the jacked up prices that the assholes on ebay are selling them for.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Iv gotten 1 so far. I'd have Ike if not for scalpers.

They are what's keeping me from getting the few I do want. Get your shit together nintendo

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Yes, mostly because I don't have a WiiU... even if I did own one I'd stay away. They're just as bad as Skylanders and Disney Infinity and somewhat worse that they have bullshit rarity. I still worked retail when they started selling and we were missing over half of those we were suppose to have. Never had that issue with the other two.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I had no interest in them since they were announced. Why pay for a virtual pet/statue when each one costs $13(or far more as stated above)? I might get one if they was some worthwhile thing to unlock in a game, but then I'll probably need one of the rare ones. I sure don't see any benefit to spending money on a cheap statue that has an AI training mode in SSB and might unlock costumes in other games. (I might have gotten the Samus one if they didn't use the Other M design. Not even taking into account the other issues from that game, I don't like that design of the Varia Suit.)

The other thing that puts me off on the whole thing is the scalping going on. I am not opposed to the scalpers[footnote]If I didn't have to go far out of my way to do it, I probably would buy a console or two at launch and sell it online for a tidy profit. Since after Mario 64, there hasn't been a game that makes a console worth buying within the first few months on the market, so I wouldn't feel any remorse in making money that way.[/footnote] near as much as to Nintendo and retailers for letting things get this far out of hand. It's affecting what I did want. (Only $10 extra for a statue with Majoras Mask 3D? I'd love one. MM themed New 3DS XL? If I have the money, maybe. Gamecube adapter for SSB? I have 3 GC controllers already, and could have 6 person Smash for $20. Nope all of those are sold out and being resold at 300% markup. The only hope is more GC adapter shipments happen and the preorders for the others are not the only shipment Nintendo was going to make.) I really don't want to give in to the scalpers, so the rare Amiibo that I might have wanted for $13 are out of the question and I am searching tirelessly for a adapter that isn't more that $30. (I might even give in to buying a third party one.)

I also really don't want to give Nintendo any of my money right now. (I broke that promise to buy the Metroid Prime Trilogy download for $10, because I'm hoping it'll send a "make more Metroid games like this" message.) They are handling this poorly. They are either oblivious to the low stock and scalper problem or are orchestrating it. For the GC adapter issue, I really have this burning thought that they want me to buy more $50 controllers, instead of using the ones I bought years ago.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Maximum Bert said:
Not avoiding them as such but I wouldnt buy one unless I saw a super rare one that I could resell for loads of money. They just dont appeal to me same deal with Skylanders and the Disney Infinity stuff I have yet to see a good use for them. I also dont know anyone who has even one Amiibo.
I thought about reselling the stuff but
Laggyteabag said:
They activate costumes, items, power ups and some times characters with the case of a code name steam. Also if you don't have any friends you can train your amiibo in smash and he'll fight along side you or against you Its like a small form of DLC but your not losing to much if you don't own. Also in some cases like Mario Kart to Unlock a suit you can just borrow a fans amiibo and it unlocks forever. Its just its going to get weird if Amiibo support were to die because when E-reader support died there was content locked in the game because they didn't make the cards for it in America. Amiibo seems to be doing a lot better then amiibo so it won't die as quick and might even survive to the next gaming generation. Since 3DS is like 5 Years old.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
lol. Well, I take it you've never looked at anime statues.
The prices are scary, and they literally are just statues. That's it. End of. Nothing else...

I dunno. For what they are they seem reasobable enough... But I'm indifferent to the gameplay features... Might get one at some point if I like the look. Otherwise, meh.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
kilenem said:
I'm a scalper
*Grits teeth while remembering the Escapist Forum Rules*

OT:I hate the idea. It's just like Skylanders, which is basically physical DLC. And now some are "rare." Vundabar. So, if you can't get one you want, you're locked out of content. I can see why it would be fun to collect them, if you have a shelf you'd want to keep them all on and look at. I get that mentality because I like to look at my gaming stuff too, that's why I have the Vault Boy bobble-head and a Jehuty action figure on my shelf next to Marcus. That's the only way I can begin to justify the price tag. If they brought down to ten I'd let the price thing go. But to not have enough in stock to let all the kids who love certain characters have fun? That's just a dick move.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
kilenem said:
Laggyteabag said:
They activate costumes, items, power ups and some times characters with the case of a code name steam. Also if you don't have any friends you can train your amiibo in smash and he'll fight along side you or against you Its like a small form of DLC but your not losing to much if you don't own. Also in some cases like Mario Kart to Unlock a suit you can just borrow a fans amiibo and it unlocks forever. Its just its going to get weird if Amiibo support were to die because when E-reader support died there was content locked in the game because they didn't make the cards for it in America. Amiibo seems to be doing a lot better then amiibo so it won't die as quick and might even survive to the next gaming generation. Since 3DS is like 5 Years old.
You mean to say that people are going nuts over what might effectively boil down to a power-up or a costume? Well, I mean, sure. Each to their own.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Why would I not want to avoid them?

My days of collecting pogs are long behind me.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
EHKOS said:
kilenem said:
I'm a scalper
*Grits teeth while remembering the Escapist Forum Rules*

OT:I hate the idea. It's just like Skylanders, which is basically physical DLC. And now some are "rare." Vundabar. So, if you can't get one you want, you're locked out of content. I can see why it would be fun to collect them, if you have a shelf you'd want to keep them all on and look at. I get that mentality because I like to look at my gaming stuff too, that's why I have the Vault Boy bobble-head and a Jehuty action figure on my shelf next to Marcus. That's the only way I can begin to justify the price tag. If they brought down to ten I'd let the price thing go. But to not have enough in stock to let all the kids who love certain characters have fun? That's just a dick move.
This isn't DLC. For the most Part DLC and digital content is locked to one users account. Not only are things that contain NFC chips not locked to one account they aren't even locked to one system. I wish more multi platform games would allow you to transfer game data to different consoles. I think GTA is like the only game in recent memory that at least allowed you to transfer your online data across platforms. I always thought NFC chips would've been nice for COD or battlefield when you go over someone else house and wanted to access your data. Granted I live in a college area, where this happens more often. PS3 and PSVITA do cross aves which is cool but I wanted to get borderlands for PS VITA but I played 400 hours on PC and I would've had to Start from scratch if I wnated to play that game on VITA.

Also some content unlocked with amiibos are permanent. In Mario Kart 8 you can swipe your friends amiibo and it unlocks the costume for ever. I believe its the same for Hyrule warriors for weapons but if you unlock rubies you can do that everyday. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Anyone else feel that they are a strange knock off of the Dreamcast's interactive Memory cards?

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Laggyteabag said:
kilenem said:
Laggyteabag said:
You mean to say that people are going nuts over what might effectively boil down to a power-up or a costume? Well, I mean, sure. Each to their own.
Again Ignored the power ups and stuff but I caved in when I saw people were making Costume Amiibos. To me that was the coolest thing