Anyone care to suggest a good co-op game?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Recently I've found myself hankering for something I can just hop into with a couple of friends and dive right into the action. Any suggestions?

Personally I was considering either taking a look at Killing Floor 2 and/or that RWBY fangame or getting back into Payday 2 (though my thread on the Steam discussion there didn't sound promising in that case.)

Salsajoe

Dec 18, 2012
Helldivers is pretty fun, haven't played it much but the part I have played was pretty awesome with both the gameplay and the worlds events and the parallels drawn with our world.

It is a twinstick shooter with an overall progression with ranks or levels, and some community stuff where you and everybody else who plays the game advance in different systems and homeworlds of alien races to spread democracy.

4 player coop with a bunch of different abilities like airstrikes or turrets to be called in, as well as LMGs and rocketlaunchers for which you need a buddy to reload.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
If you're looking for a mindless romp through hordes of enemies with friends, you can't go wrong with Diablo 3. Up to 4 players, tons of loot, tons of enemies, lots of action.

Or if a shooter is more your thing, I've been playing Rainbow Six: Siege lately. It's a tactical shooter. Bit of a learning curve, but fun.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
I can vouch for Diablo 3. It's best played as a co-op game imo. Of course i played the console version, but i only played with my Gf and we had tons of fun. It also makes synergising our skills a lot easier

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I would highly recommend Borderlands/2/Presequal.

If you want action rpg then Torchlight 2 is amazing.

And Portal 2 for puzzle solving.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Left 4 Dead you silly silly people! Its amazing!
Just get the Silent Hill campaign mod, the MLP character packs, the Mass Effect weapons and the Starship Troopers Arachnid horde mod.
Then you're Twilight Sparkle with a M8 Avenger, fighting giant spiders in Silent Hill.

And its a lot of fun!

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
As much as everyone loves to hate it, Goat Simulator is a lot like the new Guitar Hero. You get some friends and watch goats fly all over the place in magnificent Co-Op.

But if you are more of a "Hardcore" gamer where that kind of silliness is not allowed or seen as just dumb, I would suggest the Civilization games, modded Left 4 Dead (Velociraptor Skin Pack), and Portal 2. The Saints Row Games (Especially 4) is tons of fun with two people. Also Project Zomboid is fun in a private server, if that is your thing.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
Tales of games. Maximum of 4 player high action coop combat. They offer the best combat of any JRPGs in my opinion. Story is shit in almost every game. There is no getting around that. But they are games so who really cares?

Tales of Graces is best place to start because having more than one player won't hinder you at all.
Xillia 1 and 2 work fine up to 2 players. After that you can't use all the tools the game offers but it's still doable.
Zestiria is awful to play with multiple people. Just don't.

halisme

Jun 2, 2014
With the new reforging mechanic the entire loot issue in Vermintide has been solved. In general it's a fun co op game where the players actually need to work together to survive, and you can decided on the level of difficulty through both the difficulty settings, and by picking up grimoires that reduce your max health. Both of which provide better rewards. There are, unfortunately, some bugs that need fixing up however.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
spartandude said:
I would highly recommend Borderlands/2/Presequal.

If you want action rpg then Torchlight 2 is amazing.

And Portal 2 for puzzle solving.
Exactly this. But do allow me to ad L4D2 and Sanctum 2 to it. I have a blast playing these games with my boyfriend atleast.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Left 4 Dead 2

Company of Heroes 2

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance (with Sorian AI mod) if everyone has a powerful PC (not laptops either)
(yeah, it's an older game but it was ahead of it's time and you want everyone on 3+ GHZ CPUs with 4GB RAM.)

Project Zomboid

Hammerwatch

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Diablo 3 and Dragon's Crown - action RPGs with shared screen. Dragon's Crown in particular is great, though it's a bit awkward with the inventory/leveling/shopping system, in that you have to take turns to do it.

All three Borderlands games - splitscreen FPS. Come thing of it inventory management is a bit awkward in it as well. You can do it at the same time, it's just that the splitscreen swallows up chunks of the menu (and the map), and the menu isn't the most intuitive thing in the world to begin with.

RE5 - dual screen third-person shooter. You can safely skip RE6 - not worth it. The amount of sync that has to go into dual QTEs is absurd, and it's not a terribly good game anyway. Also the driving sections tend to glitch out for some reason.

Catherine has a fun two-player mode. No story campaign, just a match-based system. Lots of fun to it.

And of course, Portal 2.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Well if you care for older arcade style beat-em up games I'd say Dungeons and Dragons Chronicles of Mystara is a good choice, both Tower of Doom and Shadow Over Mystara are pretty good and they are clearly balanced for multiplayer, if you play them solo it's nearly impossible to not use a shit-ton of credits and if you're playing co-op it's actually do-able without dying but still pretty hard, you need to be well coordinated and be sure to look out for your team-mates, prioritize well who the Cleric should heal and so on, it's surprisingly fair for an arcade game, of course there are a couple of bosses that one hit kill you but if you are organized you can get them without dying, of course you need the right kind of players to do that thing but it's good.

Another obvious choice should be Trine 1 & 2, fantastic 3-player co-op puzzle platformer that actually features multiple ways to get through puzzles, it's damned good fun, specially since every character is completely different and in co-op you have the additional challenge of having to make all 3 characters get through the levels[footnote]A lot of puzzles can only get one or 2 characters through, without some creativity[/footnote] which is actually like a bonus puzzle, I'd say probably one of the best co-op experiences that exists.

On that note Battleblock Theater is also a damned good co-op platformer that's worth a try, it's also really cheap, sure it's not as good as something like Trine but it does enough to be worth it.

Metal Slug is also always fucking good in co-op, of course it's only 2-player but it's Metal Slug and it's awesome, seriously though no one is going to be disappointed with Metal Slug, in fact I suggest marathon every single Metal Slug one after the other, now that's the right way to do it, Contra is also good for this but in Contra you have to be a lot more well coordinated than in Metal Slug.

And finally if you care for older ARPGs I would highly recommend Nox, it only has 3 classes but it's good, it's like just in that sweet-spot right in the middle of Diablo and Gauntlet and it is damned good, I would highly recommend that.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
We may have different tastes, but here's my list:

-Aces Wild - areal focused beat em up that's pretty good
-Awesomenauts - 2D MOBA that's pretty popular
-Fowl Play - a damn good beat em up that focuses on style over efficiency
-Hammerwatch - a bullethell resembling Gauntlet but more polished and with a level creator
-Legend of Dungeon - my favorite thing game to play with my friends around! It's a rouge-like hack n slash with surprisingly stellar atmosphere and overall fun! Also supports UP TO 8 PLAYERS!!!!
-Metal Slug series - need I say more?
-Monaco - a top down heist game with a variety of roles and ways to complete the same mission. Another personal favorite

These are all local co-op too! So grab a couple controllers and have some fun!

Apr 5, 2008
- Borderlands 2: So much content and a lot of fun with friends. A good mix of shooty action, silly story/comedy and RPG elements.
- GTA Online: There are lots of missions, the heists, properties to buy, freeroam events, clothing and cars to collect and modify.
- Splinter Cell: Conviction: This game has a dedicated 2-player coop story. It's very good fun to stealth around with a friend and systematically take out enemies while meeting objectives and getting new gear.
- L4D2: Cool zombie action from the game/franchise that defined the 4player coop experience others try to emulate. Cool maps and gunplay with interesting unique zombies and challenges.
- Payday 2: Like L4D2 above, with some persistent elements such as levelling, gear and skill builds. Many maps, can be challenging and a lot of fun with friends.
- Divinity: Original Sin: A 2 player game (can be modded to work with 4), a deep, complex and rich isometric RPG, but with 3D characters and objects, cool graphics and a fun story with diverse characters. Has a lot of comedy and is very well written. On higher difficulties, very challenging turn based party combat. Really rewards players working together and developing characters to fill a role on a team.
- Any number of F2P MMOs. Many offer some or all of the game for free, or for a buy-once type affair. They're not all great but there's a lot of fun to be had if they aren't taken too seriously. Examples: STO, SWTOR, TSW, GW2, etc.

Blinktv

Nov 24, 2013
I'll throw in another vote Resident Evil 5, it's pure dumb fun. Dying Light is another good one as well, nice big zombie sandbox, 4 players, and you can even become a super zombie and invade your friends. Warframe is one of the goof f2p games out there and it's much more raid and grind gameplay than most f2ps. Castle Crashers is good, the Souls games are fun, but there is a learning curve to pretty much everything in them, so coop won't be instantaneous. If you have group, I would recommend contagion or No more room in Hell, they're both kind of more hardcore L4D.

Superlative

May 14, 2012
I'm going to throw in something from left field here. It will sound crazy, but let me explain.

Its the only fighting game that I know of with co-op, thus meaning Sempai and Kohai can play together without someone getting destroyed for 10 back to back matches.

Burgers2013

Nov 3, 2013
Throwing another vote in for Resident Evil 5. It was a blast on co-op. I only played it on co-op. I played it through with different people 4 times. Really fun even though it wasn't a great Resident Evil game. I would definitely recommend it if you haven't played through it already.

Also, Divinity: Original Sin is a great co-op game. It's turn-based, so it's definitely slower paced. But if you choose tactical mode, it's a really fun, challenging, and rewarding game. Strategy really matters, and you'll probably die a lot in the beginning. I'm still playing through it myself. It's great.

Trine 2 is a great co-op platformer. Very smooth gameplay with some basic puzzle solving. Each player has different abilities to help overcome obstacles.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Dungeon of The Endless is pretty fun, if challenging and difficult to initially get into. It's a pretty good co-operative roguelike that depends on sharing resources, planning and genuine co-operation. Best played with 4 players though.