Anyone else collect the old (big) PC game boxes?

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I don't exactly collect them, but I treasure the ones I have. Got a couple safely tucked away in a box and the big boxes from Red Alert and Voyager Elite Force stand on top op my desk, the Elite Force one still in its plastic cover. :D

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
Signa said:
I have a ton from the N64, GBA, and PC sitting around somewhere. I know I've got both of the oblong boxes that was FF7 and Thief 2. I also have boxes of Freespace 1 and 2 and the expansion of FS1. There's a lot there, so I can't really list them all off without doing a lot of digging.

They are a prized possession of mine now. Especially now that those games are "classics" as well as the package being a thing of the past.
I still have all my SNES games with boxes manuals and all the other crap that came with them too. Now that I think about it, that's probably my largest collection now that I've lost my old PC games.

GundamSentinel said:
I don't exactly collect them, but I treasure the ones I have. Got a couple safely tucked away in a box and the big boxes from Red Alert and Voyager Elite Force stand on top op my desk, the Elite Force one still in its plastic cover. :D
I forgot Voyager Elite Force existed. I remember going to buy it when it came out and there being no copies left because I think the store only ordered about two.

I don't go out of my way looking for them and my collection is just from the games I bought over the years. That being said though, if I see an old boxed game I'd probably buy it.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
I have a bunch flattened out and stored in my closet. I usually only kept the more interesting ones.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
porous_shield said:
Signa said:
I have a ton from the N64, GBA, and PC sitting around somewhere. I know I've got both of the oblong boxes that was FF7 and Thief 2. I also have boxes of Freespace 1 and 2 and the expansion of FS1. There's a lot there, so I can't really list them all off without doing a lot of digging.

They are a prized possession of mine now. Especially now that those games are "classics" as well as the package being a thing of the past.
I still have all my SNES games with boxes manuals and all the other crap that came with them too. Now that I think about it, that's probably my largest collection now that I've lost my old PC games.
The only SNES box I still have is Final Fantasy III, and I have that because I bought it off of a friend when I was a kid. I don't ever remember buying a SNES game brand new, so there wasn't much to collect. I've got a fantastic collection of the games now, but I'm sorely lacking in boxes.

One of these days I'll have the space to display them all properly, but for now they are all in boxes (There's a yo dawg joke in there) in the garage until I can do something with them.

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
Oh my goodness! Mechwarrior Mercenaries!!
The nostalgia that dredges up, I had completely forgotten about that game. I still have some boxes, but more often than not I'm buying things digitally.

raingod

Mar 5, 2011
I'm not a collector but I don't want to throw them away. I flattened my boxes and keep them in a plastic drawer. I still have my Need for Speed 2, Command and Conquer, Crusader No Regret (or No Remorse), Warcraft II, Diablo series, and others.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Sure, tons of em. I have a shelf over my work desk where I keep a whole bunch of game boxes from the massive old PC ones to those lame modern CD cases. Nerdy as hell but it's neat to look at from time to time and fun to have around. Coincidentally I also still have the boxes for Simcity 3000 and Mechwarrior: Mercenaries, go figure.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
I don't collect them, but I have a copy of the original Worms game in the box. =D

I'd love to collect more, but in between collecting PS2 and PS1 games I don't think my budget would stretch.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
I think I have some of those boxes in the loft, Amiga ones though instead of PC. There is so much in the loft though there could be almost anything up there, I should invite some anthropologists in because there is probably a missing link or two up there.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Can't say I'm actively collecting these days, as boxed original copies in good condition seem to have gotten quite rare.

I still keep a truckload or two of old Amiga games around, but only a choice few get put on display and fondled randomly. I have one bookshelf dedicated to old PC games that I found to be stimulating. It's mostly the Sierra * Quest games, the Infocom goodie boxes and the Magnetic Scrolls thingamabobs. Then there's a bit of SSI D&D magic and a sprinkle of Beholder. Though, most of these games I play in a virtual box these days. Backups are on USB flash and DVD, but the disks still seem to be quite happy about life, the universe and everything.

exxxed

Mar 30, 2013
Hehe, I guess you must be the other guy from the two people who played Drakan while all the cool kids played Tomb Raider, thanks for the pleasant reminder, fantastic game.

Come to think of it, I can't recall the last time I've seen one of those big cardboard boxes, hm, the oldest one that I still keep around is Unreal 2 (loved that box for some reason), had to make room for the collector's edition of my favorite franchises, The Witcher 2's being a mammoth compared to the other ones.

Take care!

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I wouldn't say "collect" but I still have a lot of them. Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall is actually in the trunk of my car right now. Ultima VIIs (black gate and serpent isle, box containg floppy discs as opposed to cd,) Ultima 9, Masters of Orion 2, Noctropolis, Police Quest 4, X-Wing, Tie-Fighter, all the Wing Commanders + Privateer, and a bunch of others. I guess I could turn it into a collection.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
porous_shield said:
GundamSentinel said:
I forgot Voyager Elite Force existed. I remember going to buy it when it came out and their being now copies left because I think the store only ordered about two.
I had the same predicament. A friend of mine had said it was a really fun game, but I couldn't find it anywhere. But I went to a used games store in Amsterdam one day and lo and behold: there it was. The previous owner had dumped an entire collection there a few weeks before and had been verrrry careful with it. All in their original boxes, in brand new state, still in plastic, but very carefully opened. All game discs were copied and added in the box with the originals. And ridiculously cheap. :)

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
I've actually got so many of them that my girlfriend got me my own bookshelf for my man cave last year. I'm not at home now to count them, but I've probably got 60 or so boxes on it (with discs and manuals inside of said boxes. I even have a number of unopened copies of games I thought might be valuable one day (I know I have unopened copies of Dues Ex, Dues Ex GOTY, Diablo 2, Diablo 2: LOD, Planescape Torment [though this one has a small rip in the plastic], Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Tomb Raider, and Final Fantasy 7 PC). 20 or so of my boxes have suffered a bit of water damage due to a leaky storage unit leaking on one of my boxes when I went walkabout, fortunately it was my bottom shelf games. It still irritated me quite a bit though.

I would love to continue collecting them, but the new boxes suck. It is also too bad that I didn't have alternate ways of installing games without opening my boxes back then, as I probably would have had a lot more boxes (I threw most of mine out before I started collecting).

I do tend to get some funny reactions when people walk into my man cave and the first things they see are a shelf full of game boxes surrounded by fantasy weaponry (and two cutting demonstrators). Then they look around the rest of my room and see book cases filled with text books and reference books (aside from my gaming stuff, my computer, and my tv/monitor).

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Out of all of the boxes I used to have I still own two. The first is the Dungeon Keeper one. Gotta love a bit of DK, the second is the Starcraft collectors edition that came with the awesome t-shirt and other stuff. Got that for my 11th birthday.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
The Madman said:
Sure, tons of em. I have a shelf over my work desk where I keep a whole bunch of game boxes from the massive old PC ones to those lame modern CD cases. Nerdy as hell but it's neat to look at from time to time and fun to have around. Coincidentally I also still have the boxes for Simcity 3000 and Mechwarrior: Mercenaries, go figure.
I hate those CD case boxes. They don't have anywhere near the appeal of those old huge boxes with thick manuals and all the other crap that used to come with. I bought Neverwinter Nights and Diablo II in the early 2000's they had nice boxes even if they were the small kind.

exxxed said:
Hehe, I guess you must be the other guy from the two people who played Drakan while all the cool kids played Tomb Raider, thanks for the pleasant reminder, fantastic game.

Come to think of it, I can't recall the last time I've seen one of those big cardboard boxes, hm, the oldest one that I still keep around is Unreal 2 (loved that box for some reason), had to make room for the collector's edition of my favorite franchises, The Witcher 2's being a mammoth compared to the other ones.

Take care!
I love Drakan and it's one of my favourite games. I played Tomb Raider too but flying around on a dragon in a fairly open world trumped Tomb Raider for me.

I can't remember seeing any Witcher boxes around. I have the Witcher 2 digitally and the Witcher 1 in one of those lame cd holder boxes.

exxxed

Mar 30, 2013
Frankly the collector's edition for both titles have a nice ''thing'' going for them, I regret not getting the first and only getting it in a digital version, but I can attest to the second which was worth every penny:

The ''thing'' is when you put them side by side they form a big-ass wolf-head medalion in two shades.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Yep. My collection is still (mostly) intact.

The Sims: Various expansions included.
Age of Empires: All of them. Expansions included.
Empire Earth.
Rise of Nations: Expansions included.
Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition.
Neverwinter Nights 2.
Diablo Battle Chest.

That's it really. The only ones I'm missing are my TES and Warcraft boxes (and games).

PPB

May 25, 2009
I've kept every single video game box I ever bought (also goes for LEGO sets!). I ended up flattening most of them to save space but at least I still have them. Off the top of my head, my collection includes most of Blizzard's and BioWare's games, most Star Wars games, and a ton of others (Sims 1 and expansions, Simcity 2000, 3, 4, older Civilizations, etc.).