Anyone else find this law stupid (Not about marijuana) ?

Toar

Nov 13, 2009
Seems a little extreme, but maybe that is plenty of incentive to do the chore. The law itself... uh... Hmmmmm... Maybe not the best laid plan, but it has precidence.

Fleischer

Jan 8, 2011
icame said:
This year? Probably about 20-25. So, about 4-5 times a month. That includes anything from Taking out the trash to cutting our yard, my neighbors yard, etc as well as things like forgetting to close the shower curtain when I get out of the shower. Though, as I said, I have a horrible memory so there could more.
I would consider that a severe problem. I'm not expert in memory improving technique; however, as an educator, I strongly recommend you see out some help. If and when you move out, you can't go and "forget" things like paying the bills, without huge repercussions.

From my stab at the situation, I think your parents are trying to use strong means to make you stop forgetting your chores. Like it or not, they are within their rights to confiscate any of your goods or money.

The real issue is your memory problem, not them taking your money. Address that concern first, for a problem like your memory lapses could be a major issue throughout your life.

The_Evermind

Jul 7, 2009
As far as the law goes it seems to me that while it does make sense for a parent to have a degree of control over the financial status of a minor the fact that any property of a minor is property of their parents (or guardians spending on the case). It seems to me that what would make the most sense would be if laws allowed for parents to govern the spending of a minors financial assets but didn't allow for them to withdraw the money. That way the parent can still have control over their dependent, and I think it is reasonable to be able to tell your child that no you cannot buy something, and a minor will not be able to be robbed legally just because of their age.

As far as your specific situation goes as other people have mentioned while it may be a bit extreme there are good intentions behind it and they are ultimately in control for the time being and are in every way allowed to continue this practice despite your thoughts on the matter. I would suggest having a discussion with your parents OP and asking for a mitigated punishment and maybe even asking for their help in remembering your chores, if you ask this secon part correctly and make it seem like you would actually like their help they will most likely do their best to assist you which can't hurt it might even inspire them to lessen the punishment because you are showing initiative in improving yourself in way that you obviously falter; remember, making similar mistakes and forgetting tasks at the grocery store that you work at could result in firing so it is in your best interest that you try and remember things more often.

2 last things, 1. Read the OP, alright? Its not that hard, you can actually contribute to the conversation, and it stops you from sounding like an idiot. 2 If you are really daring and reading this OP you could attempt to convince your parents that since they are fining you for forgetting your tasks like it was your job then you should be paid for doing it. You probably wont end up getting anything but it may be worth it to try, best case scenario: they agree with you and you begin earning an allowance on top of your job worst case scenario: you end up getting punished for daring to suggest that their method of parenting isn't the be-all end-all method and has no flaws.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
The_Evermind said:
As far as the law goes it seems to me that while it does make sense for a parent to have a degree of control over the financial status of a minor the fact that any property of a minor is property of their parents (or guardians spending on the case). It seems to me that what would make the most sense would be if laws allowed for parents to govern the spending of a minors financial assets but didn't allow for them to withdraw the money. That way the parent can still have control over their dependent, and I think it is reasonable to be able to tell your child that no you cannot buy something, and a minor will not be able to be robbed legally just because of their age.

As far as your specific situation goes as other people have mentioned while it may be a bit extreme there are good intentions behind it and they are ultimately in control for the time being and are in every way allowed to continue this practice despite your thoughts on the matter. I would suggest having a discussion with your parents OP and asking for a mitigated punishment and maybe even asking for their help in remembering your chores, if you ask this secon part correctly and make it seem like you would actually like their help they will most likely do their best to assist you which can't hurt it might even inspire them to lessen the punishment because you are showing initiative in improving yourself in way that you obviously falter; remember, making similar mistakes and forgetting tasks at the grocery store that you work at could result in firing so it is in your best interest that you try and remember things more often.

2 last things, 1. Read the OP, alright? Its not that hard, you can actually contribute to the conversation, and it stops you from sounding like an idiot. 2 If you are really daring and reading this OP you could attempt to convince your parents that since they are fining you for forgetting your tasks like it was your job then you should be paid for doing it. You probably wont end up getting anything but it may be worth it to try, best case scenario: they agree with you and you begin earning an allowance on top of your job worst case scenario: you end up getting punished for daring to suggest that their method of parenting isn't the be-all end-all method and has no flaws.
I do understand what my parents are trying to do, but in my mind it is the wrong way of doing it. Besides, I didn't make this thread to complain about my situation, I made it to see what others thought about the law which allows them to do this, which has proven to have failed. Thank you for discussing the law itself, as well as the situation i am in.

Also, my mom would flip her shit if I tried anything like that. I would probably never see the light of day again until I move out.

lostlambda

May 19, 2011
this will happens as a adult too one company i worked for took 35 dollars from each pay check for each sick day i used even if i had sick time they took it

Matt-the-twat

Sep 13, 2009
Meh, it's the equivalent of rent. It's quite harsh really as a minor, but I guess you'll have learned more about finances than most your ages by the time this stops happening.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Price you pay for being a minor unfortunately. Sounds rough to me but nothing you can do about it really.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
icame said:
My parents threatened to take away $20 from me every time I forget to do a chore . After they threatened this, I wanted to see if they have the ability to do such a thing, so I did a bit of research (Thank you Google) and found out it is perfectly legal for them to do this. Please tell me I am not the only one who find this moronic?

I don't get an allowance and I don't get any money from my parents ever, not even during my birthday or Christmas. All the money I have is earned by working at a grocery store in my town. In my opinion, they should have no right to do anything with my hard earned money, but I wouldn't have a huge problem with a law that allowed them to put it into an account that you could access at 18 (But they had no ability to withdraw from)

Edit: Everyone seems to be talking about my story in question. Can we please discuss the law itself?

Want to show me this law?

mcattack92

Feb 2, 2011
It is like real life. If you fail to complete a part of a LEGALLY binding contract, you may only be paid an ammount based on the actions performened by the party that caused the breach. It is teaching you a life leason to fulfil your obligations so that in the future, you are not deprived of financial compensation.

Oskamunda

Dec 26, 2008
I suggest you go read Dr. Seuss's Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?

Only, replace all the weird names and ridonculous suppositions of surreality with things like African AIDS Babies, Somalian Religious Targets, Rwanda Victims/Survivors, Chinese Gold Farmers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.286977-Chinese-Prisoners-Forced-to-Farm-MMO-Gold?page=1], Sierra Leone Open-Pit Diamond Miners, Innocent People Who Live in Afghanistan, Rape Victims, Abuse Victims, People Who Live Upon the Ganges, Pit-Fighting Dogs/Cocks, The Displaced From the Japanese Tsunami, Vietnam Veterans, Prags/Pincushions, Folks Who Can't Afford Health Care, Black People in America, The Poor, and Suburbanite Twats Whose Daddy Didn't Buy Them Breast Implants/A Porsche for Their Sweet 16th...

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
captain underpants said:
BlackWidower said:
Here's an idea, move out so you don't have to do chores anymore. But $20 does seem rediculous. Don't they know excessive fines are unconstitutional?
ROFL. Move out to avoid chores? You realise you're doing ALL your own chores when you move out, don't you? I can guarantee a live-in maid will cost you a bit more than $20.

Kids these days...
Which kids are you talking about?

Also, no one's holding a gun to your head to do chores if you live on your own. That was my point. Of course you still have to do laundry and cook food and feed the cat, but if you don't do them, no one will take $20 from you, you just won't eat.

Oskamunda

Dec 26, 2008
Kipohippo said:
Oskamunda said:
I suggest you go read Dr. Seuss's Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?

Only, replace all the weird names and ridonculous suppositions of surreality with things like African AIDS Babies, Somalian Religious Targets, Rwanda Victims/Survivors, Chinese Gold Farmers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.286977-Chinese-Prisoners-Forced-to-Farm-MMO-Gold?page=1], Sierra Leone Open-Pit Diamond Miners, Innocent People Who Live in Afghanistan, Rape Victims, Abuse Victims, People Who Live Upon the Ganges, Pit-Fighting Dogs/Cocks, The Displaced From the Japanese Tsunami, Vietnam Veterans, Prags/Pincushions, Folks Who Can't Afford Health Care, Black People in America, The Poor, and Suburbanite Twats Whose Daddy Didn't Buy Them Breast Implants/A Porsche for Their Sweet 16th...
wait... black people in america? LOL
Why are they unlucky?
Well, less unlucky than black people in Africa, but more unlucky than white people in America, put it that way.

captain underpants

Jun 8, 2010
BlackWidower said:
Also, no one's holding a gun to your head to do chores if you live on your own.
Exactly. You have to be self reliant. THAT'S what the OP's parents are trying to teach him. The power company isn't going to nag you or 'put a gun to your head'. They'll just cut the power. Better to learn to remember to do shit like that now than later.

BlackWidower said:
That was my point. Of course you still have to do laundry and cook food and feed the cat, but if you don't do them, no one will take $20 from you, you just won't eat.
You have a strange view of education. $20 is obviously a far less serious consequence than being homeless or starving. The point of education is that you learn how to do things by practicing them in safety, and without the risk of dire consequences. Maybe you think the OP's parents should pander to him his whole life, and then throw him out into the world completely unprepared for it.

Whatever. Clearly there's a few people around here that are somewhat resistant to education. That's fine. Life will keep throwing the same lessons at you, with ever increasing consequences, until it sinks in. I just think it's better to do that before leaving the nest, but on your own head be it.

To the OP: I recommend that you talk to your parents, and maybe negotiate some kind of fixed weekly/monthly rate for room and board, including which chores you are and aren't expected to do. And then both you and your parents stick to that agreement. Get it in writing if necessary. I do think $20 per forgotten chore is a bit harsh, but I don't know how long they've been trying to get you to do stuff. Maybe they're a bit pissed off themselves.

Also try to remember, that as put out as you might feel about all this, your problems are fucking nothing compared to what your parents are dealing with, so cut them some slack. Parenting is hard.

captain underpants

Jun 8, 2010
icame said:
Advocating the beating of someone. Interesting. I would honestly rather get hit then have money taken away. Wounds heal. Money doesn't come back.
You, sir, have a seriously fucked up set of priorities.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Yes the law is messed up but sadly the only thing you can do about it is hide your money until you move out, they can't take away money they can't find.

captain underpants

Jun 8, 2010
icame said:
This year? Probably about 20-25. So, about 4-5 times a month. That includes anything from Taking out the trash to cutting our yard, my neighbors yard, etc as well as things like forgetting to close the shower curtain when I get out of the shower. Though, as I said, I have a horrible memory so there could more.
By the sounds of it, you're getting off lightly. Get your fucking act together, kid. 'I forgot' doesn't work as an excuse in the real world, and your parents are clearly fed up with hearing it as well. If I had to remind my kid every fucking week to do a simple thing like closing the shower curtain, they'd be scrubbing the mold off with a toothbrush.

ArmyHelmetDog

Apr 10, 2011
It would be fine if you were given money by your parents, but since you never got any money from them, yeah it's stupid.