Anyone else getting tired of super hero movies?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Nope. I like that Hollywood is finally pandering to me for a bit instead of as well as some other losers I don't care about. So what if superheros all end up going through the same basic plots time and again. It's not like the 90s action movies, the old westerns and the omnipresent rom coms don't follow patterns.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I enjoyed The Avengers, it was cool. I thought the Thor and Cap. America movies were rather dull, and simply there to get the characters into the Avengers film. But there are far too many movies coming out being adapted from comics, and them being super heroes. The last super hero film I actively enjoyed from beginning to end, was a decent adaptation, as well as being a damn good movie to boot was Kick-Ass. For me, that film hit every single note. Amazing acting, diverse and perfect soundtrack, great script/writing and possibly the best use of Nicolas Cage (Although I don't seem ton have a problem with him that the entire internet does...).

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I get bored when its a bad movie or one I just cant stay interested in. I didnt care for the new batman cause it felt overtly long, and really if it wasnt partially filmed in pittsburgh i wouldnt have stayed through (though i should have just left after they defiled the skyline). I get bored with certain franchises, like spider man because it was too soon to reboot and the reboot was awful too.

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
I liked X-Men Origins, the first time I watched the first Iron Man film...and that's about it.
I've seen just about every super-hero movie out there, and I can comfortably say they're the most disinteresting film genre I know of.

So yea, I'm sick of super hero films...but I was sick of super-hero films after I tried watching Iron Man a second time.
If you don't like it, just don't watch it.
I'll watch just about anything given I have the time and the access, so I ended up seeing the Avengers about 4 months after it came out in cinemas, and I thought it was a piece of shit, same with the Dark Knight Rises, but I don't complain about the production of super-hero movies because I decided to sit down and watch them all.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Korenith said:
Adding to this point (and some of the others already made) the only real issue I have with the fad of superhero movies is that it sends funds away from more risky projects that might really do something incredible but since there will ALWAYS be the "safe bet" genres that do this I'm not really bothered. It's like anything else. I few good ones will be remembered but the rest will be forgotten in ten years time. At least the superhero movies usually have some fun visuals and decent action sequences.
Yeah I agree with this paragraph and especially with the bolded part. I guess I personally just miss seeing big blockbusters that are based on original material (and hence could be considered more 'risky projects' since they don't have that in built audience that movies based on books/comic books/ etc. have.) I'm personally not a huge fan of Inception or Avatar but they did have the 'mystery aspect' when they were released since they weren't based on already established franchises.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Professor Lupin Madblood said:
Ieyke said:
Iron Man was the beginning of the first episode. Avengers was the end of that first episode.
I agree with what you expressed in your post, but I feel I should point out that The Incredible Hulk (the Edward Norton one) was the first in the Marvel Cinematic Universe thing that Marvel has going now.
Negatory. Iron Man was the first movie ever made by Marvel Studios.

In order:
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America
The Avengers

Theoretically Followed By:
Iron Man 3
Thor 2:The Dark World
Captain America 2:The Winter Soldier
Guardians Of The Galaxy
Avengers 2
Ant-Man

Andrewebyy

Dec 31, 2012
One thing I'd like to see is giving more money to more risky projects, as some people already mentioned. Unfortunately it happens less and less nowadays.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Why should this genre go away, so many other have stuck around and are still going. If you don't like them anymore, don't watch them. Gone far enough? Why, because you are sick of them? How about dramas, war films, heck family movies all with the same basic "just be yourself plot" etc.

There is so much more that has been around a lot longer, why should any disappear, so long as someone wants them, someone will make them. Too bad if you're sick of them, many people (including me) are not.

Scars Unseen said:
Nope. I like that Hollywood is finally pandering to me for a bit instead of as well as some other losers I don't care about. So what if superheros all end up going through the same basic plots time and again. It's not like the 90s action movies, the old westerns and the omnipresent rom coms don't follow patterns.
Agreed, it's only in the last few years I've gone to theaters to see films, due to this fact.

RunDMC222

Nov 12, 2013
I was really feeling like I was the only one out there who felt like this. I have looked at some other forums and 9 out of 10 people that reply all say, "if you don't like them, don't watch them and just shut up." But I feel like many people just don't understand my frustration with Marvel and all the other terrible super hero movie chains. I will say starting off that the Dark Knights were good, but the only reason I felt like that is because it seemed more realistic and events occurred that could actually take place. I just get so aggravated because these movies are so garbage! They are all playing on the 3D now and it really doesn't justify the worth of the film. In every one of the super hero movies, the CGI is subpar, the story is exactly the same, and the acting and dialogues are TERRIBLE! But I think the thing that bothers me the most about them is that EVERY single one of these movies has a CRAZY rating on IMDB/Rotten Tomatoes. For instance, I thought the new Wolverine 3D movie was garbage.. It really was probably the worst movie I've ever tried to watch. I literally cut it off 3/4 of the way through because I didn't want to waste any more of my time. And can you guess what its IMDB rating is?? I bet you can't? It's a 6.9! Which is crazy high for how terrible it is.. Meanwhile, Savages.. One of the better movies that I have seen in years; that has real depth and interesting dialogue and detailed sets and a fabulous cast, got a measly 6.5 on IMDB.. No one on this earth could ever justify why Savages movie rating is lower than The Wolverine.. I think the movie industry has really hit rock bottom.. They are taking advantage of how dumb we are, because the heads of these big studios know that they can put out sh*t movies with a title like Spiderman 3D and people will be lining up around the block to see it.. It makes me sick..

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Frankly, no, I'm not sick of Superhero movies. I mean this is what I watched as a kid growing up, so I keep digging it as an adult.

I will say though, I'm tired of say, the tone of the Marvel movies. It's sooo fucking "Fun for the whole family" lighthearted, and I imagine that will only get worse since they are now disney properties. Think will ever get a Marvel Zombies movie? Haaa I doubt it. Every film just feels like a Spiderman movie to me, and that's the problem I suppose.

Basically, I think Marvel desperately needs to bring The Punisher into it's cannon.

Where as, I like the DC Man Of Steel and the Nolan batmans because those felt... Less dumb, it wasn't all Tony Stark crackin' wise and shit. They take the properties at face value and try to make them as serious as possible without a hint of irony.

TekMoney

Jun 30, 2013
SaneAmongInsane said:
Frankly, no, I'm not sick of Superhero movies. I mean this is what I watched as a kid growing up, so I keep digging it as an adult.

I will say though, I'm tired of say, the tone of the Marvel movies. It's sooo fucking "Fun for the whole family" lighthearted, and I imagine that will only get worse since they are now disney properties. Think will ever get a Marvel Zombies movie? Haaa I doubt it. Every film just feels like a Spiderman movie to me, and that's the problem I suppose.

Basically, I think Marvel desperately needs to bring The Punisher into it's cannon.

Where as, I like the DC Man Of Steel and the Nolan batmans because those felt... Less dumb, it wasn't all Tony Stark crackin' wise and shit. They take the properties at face value and try to make them as serious as possible without a hint of irony.
Okay, a few things. First there is no way a Marvel Zombies movie would ever get made. It was a fad that died first of all, and it would not have the mainstream appeal needed to justify hiring all those big name actors.

Marvel Studios did do a Punisher movie. It was a disaster and everyone forgot about it.

And not every super hero movie should be gritty. That tone wouldn't work for most of the Marvel movies they've done so far. Captain America being the only one where I think that would have worked.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
TekMoney said:
SaneAmongInsane said:

Okay, a few things. First there is no way a Marvel Zombies movie would ever get made. It was a fad that died first of all, and it would not have the mainstream appeal needed to justify hiring all those big name actors.

Marvel Studios did do a Punisher movie. It was a disaster and everyone forgot about it.

And not every super hero movie should be gritty. That tone wouldn't work for most of the Marvel movies they've done so far. Captain America being the only one where I think that would have worked.
Bullshit. Marvel Heroes fighting a Zombie Apocalypse would sell tickets. Maybe one doesn't adapt the comic, but losely the idea is a license to print money. Just the ensuing chaos.

The Punisher movies were awesome, but no, I mean making The Punisher part of the MCU.

Doesn't have to be gritty, but I want shit taken seriously. The moment the characters can note the irony or the sillyness of their situation, I no longer am remotely invested in it. That shit is fine when The Joker does it, or The Mask or Deadpool or Spiderman.

The new Thor movie has, I admit a hilarious scene, where Loki and Thor flying away haphazardly, and Loki keeps taking a piss out of everything Thor does. Yeah it's funny, but it just shows how stupid the whole concept really is.

TekMoney

Jun 30, 2013
SaneAmongInsane said:
[Bullshit. Marvel Heroes fighting a Zombie Apocalypse would sell tickets. Maybe one doesn't adapt the comic, but losely the idea is a license to print money. Just the ensuing chaos
Okay that's not Marvel Zombies. That's an Avengers story involving zombies.

The Punisher movies were awesome, but no, I mean making The Punisher part of the MCU.
The Punisher has a hard time fitting in to the stories of a lot of other Marvel characters. It really only seems to work with Daredevil. The problem with the Punisher is every story of his is just Punisher shooting mobsters. There's no variety in the storytelling.

Doesn't have to be gritty, but I want shit taken seriously. The moment the characters can note the irony or the sillyness of their situation, I no longer am remotely invested in it. That shit is fine when The Joker does it, or The Mask or Deadpool or Spiderman.

The new Thor movie has, I admit a hilarious scene, where Loki and Thor flying away haphazardly, and Loki keeps taking a piss out of everything Thor does. Yeah it's funny, but it just shows how stupid the whole concept really is.
Oh it's fine when certain characters do it. The characters you like. So this is you being mad that these movies aren't being made with you in mind.

All super hero stuff is inherently a little silly. I love the Nolan Batman movies, but the biggest flaw in them is that they don't recognize how silly super heroes can be.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
RunDMC222 said:
But I think the thing that bothers me the most about them is that EVERY single one of these movies has a CRAZY rating on IMDB/Rotten Tomatoes. For instance, I thought the new Wolverine 3D movie was garbage.. It really was probably the worst movie I've ever tried to watch. I literally cut it off 3/4 of the way through because I didn't want to waste any more of my time. And can you guess what its IMDB rating is?? I bet you can't? It's a 6.9! Which is crazy high for how terrible it is.. Meanwhile, Savages.. One of the better movies that I have seen in years; that has real depth and interesting dialogue and detailed sets and a fabulous cast, got a measly 6.5 on IMDB.. No one on this earth could ever justify why Savages movie rating is lower than The Wolverine..
Getting upset over IMDB ratings is pretty pointless. Different people enjoy different things and you can't really do anything about it.
I wouldn't get too worked up over it, really.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
TekMoney said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
[Bullshit. Marvel Heroes fighting a Zombie Apocalypse would sell tickets. Maybe one doesn't adapt the comic, but losely the idea is a license to print money. Just the ensuing chaos
Okay that's not Marvel Zombies. That's an Avengers story involving zombies.

The Punisher has a hard time fitting in to the stories of a lot of other Marvel characters. It really only seems to work with Daredevil. The problem with the Punisher is every story of his is just Punisher shooting mobsters. There's no variety in the storytelling.

The new Thor movie has, I admit a hilarious scene, where Loki and Thor flying away haphazardly, and Loki keeps taking a piss out of everything Thor does. Yeah it's funny, but it just shows how stupid the whole c The oncept really is.
Oh it's fine when certain characters do it. The characters you like. So this is you being mad that these movies aren't being made with you in mind.

All super hero stuff is inherently a little silly. I love the Nolan Batman movies, but the biggest flaw in them is that they don't recognize how silly super heroes can be.
Marvel Zombies vs Army Of Darkness. Right before and when the sentry comes down. Just extend that over two hours, and nix Ash.

no not the characters that I like. Of the ones I listed, one has 4th wall breaking powers, ones power essentially is parody/humor done to horror, The Joker is The Joker, and the last one uses humor to hide his inner-insecurity.

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
I simply like good movies.
I liked Thor 1 and 2 because they were good "popcorn cinema"
I liked X-Men 1 and 2 and especially First Class (but definitely not Wolverine:Origins...) for being much more story driven than most other superhero movies.
I loved Iron Man 1 and 2 bc Downey Jr. is a frigging good actor.
I really disliked Catwoman for being one of the worst superhero movies ever.
Punisher didn't give the comics enough credit (but then again he's not a superhero, I guess).
Daredevil was okay, Captain America was okay...

But then again I don't need an intellecutal overtone all the time. I simply like geeky stuff made into entertaining movies.
I can forgive cheesy superhero movies (the same goes for cheesy sci-fi and fantasy in general). I can't forgive cheesy love storys or dramas or only-slightly-chuckle comedies.

So, in the end it's about good movies, not the genre.