Anyone else hate British cuteness?

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Gardenia said:
Pedro The Hutt said:
At least Muggles sounds like a word. =p Kal'sur or Dor'salim looks like something that would happen after someone's cat jumped on your keyboard. And random apostrophes in names stopped being cool along with ultimate Gary-Stu Drizzt Do'urden. =p
Yeah, it sounds like someone put a few coins in the Random Fantasy Name Generator.
OT: I thought Tolkien pretty much invented that kind of naming, and he was british.
Key difference being that he was a philologist, had a professor status in "English language and literature" and on top of that he was a professor of Anglo-Saxon. He also knew Middle English, Old English, Finnish, Gothic, Greek, Italian, Old Norse, Spanish, Welsh, and Medieval Welsh. And on top of that he was at the least familiar with Danish, Dutch, Lombardic, Norwegian, Icelandic, Russian, Swedish, Middle Dutch, Middle and Old German, Old Slavonic, and Lithuanian. So I'd say he was kind of qualified to make functional fictional languages.

Which also is a key difference, you can decipher Elrond into "Elf of the cave" if you do some digging. Elvish is a functional language (if slightly incomplete), you can at least believe that it belongs to a language you're simply not familiar with as opposed to most of those "cat walked over keyboard" names you see in my trashy fantasy novels.

Not to say that Tolkien's the be all, end all of fantasy, but I'm just saying that if you're going to come up with exotic names that you best make sure there is some reason and rhyme to it. Which is why I don't have much of a problem with Muggles, it could very well be an English slang word.

Extravagance

Mar 23, 2011
Thank the gods for 15 pages of british people going "What the hell? Sod off" and arguing about our comedy. For no other reason than this, I'm now abit prouder to be English.

Also, OP, you're wrong, muggle is a wonderful word for kids like the books started off being, eh.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Pedro The Hutt said:
When watching the Lord of the rings docs for the films (which I watch a lot because I'm sad) I did hear quite a bit on the language part. I believe it was said that most of the languages like elvish and stuff are pretty much just a mish-mash of other real world languages like you mentioned. Same get for the names too. Or at least something along those lines. I know the Rohan are heavily anglo-saxon based or Vikings on horses and thus the names are very much from that kind of culture.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Read some 2000AD- it'll make your head spin!

Also- Muggles from Harry Potter is aimed squarely at children and silly people.

Tolkien is the grandaddy of fantasy- you're telling me that there isn't anything dark in his books?

captainwolfos

Feb 14, 2009
Wait wait wait. Let me get this straight.

You're basing your opinion that British like 'cute' things, because of ONE WORD in HARRY POTTER?

...That's just... Absurd.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Enought people have already said "WTF?!" to this so I'm just going to address the word "Muggle". It's supposed to be a somewhat derogatory slang word for someone who is effectively disabled in the way that they cannot use magic. Since the wizards in the stories are mostly British, it sounds about right for them to use the word "Muggle" in that sense. If they were Asian then maybe they'd put some random apostrophes in it but it's an extension of English, not a whole new language. There is no "wizarding language" in Harry Potter.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
I'm American and I have no idea what you're talking about. Seriously confused about what you're talking about, here.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Sizzle Montyjing said:
What the fuck are you talking about?
Maybe you've confused us with the fucking care bears or something?
Seriously, no one here as a clue what you are talking about.
Hell, i'm now tempted to set up a thread intilted- 'Anyone else hate American ignorance?' based off one person.
Fucking this, go man go!

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Just Plain Lazy said:
British cuteness?
Im British and you've lost me already. XD
Maybe he had a bad choice of words and by cuteness he meant he didn't like their pattern of silly/made-up names and thinking if it's made for kids it's an attempt to look kid friendly as in brightly colored,non threatening and/or cute

Though I think that's bad logic it might be the train of thought.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Everything I want to say has already been said but I still want to throw out my opinion to this silly yank berk.

Hazard12

Jun 17, 2010
Why are people still registering their opinion that they don't think he's right? I mean yeah, it needed to be said but 15 pages of people going "NO!"? Doesn't the first page kind of cover it?