Anyone else hate British cuteness?

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
Japan is worse when it comes to making stuff cute. Trust me, I'm half-Japanese and been to Japan.

Chefodeath

Dec 31, 2009
GodsAndFishes said:
As an Englishman can I just say WHAAAAAAA?!?!

I've never heard of this making everything cute thing at all, ever.
And with the example of muggles, I always thought it sounded more derogatory than cute.
Pretty much this. I mean, thats whats so cool about HP, Rowling manages to make a really convincing synthesis of witches, wizards, and magic with contemporary British culture. The folks in HP are basically just brits who can use magic. Them using all those apostrophed words would be unconvincing and cliche.

And honestly, I don't know where the fuck you're getting this idea of British cuteness from.

Sep 19, 2008
80sGuy said:
Isn't George R. R. Martin British too? Game of Thrones is pretty manly, last I checked.
Martin himself is american, But Game of thrones is based on the English civil war, the war of the roses between York and Lancaster.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
TimeLord said:
Britain? Cute? You obviously haven't been to Glasgow on a dark Saturday night.
Heh, I was in Glasgow on Tuesday...
Been to a pub called The Bloc?
Yeah, communist pubs are fun.

OT: I have no idea what the OP is on about... But I'm Irish.

Anggul

Jun 10, 2009
Are you seriously implying that Harry Potter is written for older audiences? Of course it's not going to be deep and serious, it's a children's book series.

I can't think of any time when our writers are obsessed with making things seem cute for no reason.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Agent Larkin said:
The British don't make things cute. They just happen to be the second most sarcastic people in the world.
Who's the first? I'm quite offended over that, if there's anything we do well, it's sarcasm, cynicism and colonialism. Oh, and bitterness. And making tea.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Anggul said:
Are you seriously implying that Harry Potter is written for older audiences? Of course it's not going to be deep and serious, it's a children's book series.

I can't think of any time when our writers are obsessed with making things seem cute for no reason.
Pretty much this.

Harry Potters starting age group is somewhere around 11-13, to get kids to read books, and that's about where it merits end. It's not brilliantly written, it's plot isn't anything amazing, but it's popular and younger audience loves it, and people who grew up on it like it.

Complaining about "funky" words in a kids books is really something very very silly. Isn't that more of American than British, to make things seem more "cute" to appeal to wider audience anyway?:p

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
irrelevant83 said:
As an American, I do like British culture, especially comedy, but I can't get over their obsession with making everything cute.

I'm not even sure if cute is the right word, it's just the best word I can muster. They don't just apply cute names to things like the Japanese do, but apply cuteness and expect everyone to take it seriously. I can't get into Harry Potter, though I'm sure it's brilliantly written, just because non-magic users are referred to as Muggles. To compare, the Final Fantasy series has creatures called Moogles, but FF doesn't force us to take them seriously.

Again, it might just be the fact that I'm American. I'm used to mystical things sounding sort of Asian or Middle Eastern and putting apostrophes in random places. An ancient secret society should be called Kal'sur and the mystical weapon should be Dor'salim. So if non-magic using people in the HP universe were called Cara'sin instead of Muggles, maybe I wouldn't be posting this on the net, but as it is, Muggles is a word that forces me to accept the fact that I'm reading a book written for an 8 year old even though the later novels grow with the audience.

As it is, I hate British naming of Fantasy things. Posters should feel free to add their own grievances.
a) WTF

b) The british (a brit here) are actually known for their bizarrely DARK comedy. Black humor is the specialty here.

Jamie Wroe said:
Jedisolo75 said:
Red Dwarf, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Black Adder, uh... Dad's army, all extremely British comedies that are all great.
Really, You are going to put Black Adder up there like it's funny, like it's in the same category as Monty Python and Red Dwarf? Worst, comedy ever. It makes me want to shove pins in my ears and eyes so that I don't have to see/hear it anymore.

I love Red Dwarf though, and Faulty Towers, and I am a huge Monty Python fan, but I may never forgive the British for Black Adder.
What! Blasphemy! Blackadder was brilliant, better than Faulty Towers and Red Dwarf and much less hit and miss than Monty Python (though they are all great).

Plus it had Hugh Laurie and fucking Steven Fry. What more is there to say than that?

Also, A Bit of Fry & Laurie, how good was that!

EDIT: Also, great ending too. Last part of the last episode is so sad, it's definitely one of the greatest moments in TV history.
Shhhh. A non-beleiver may live in light while we bask in the glory of all the worlds best Dark comedy.

Ps: Red Dwarf being my favorite here. Then Monty Python.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
Er, what?

While I do find the rather weird obsession some Americans have with Britain weird...what are you on about, mate?

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Why oh why are people still commenting on this thread? there's clearly no-one left here who actually thinks the way the OP thinks, so you're arguing with no-one.

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
I don't understand ... you should really come down here and clear your head up ... I can guarantee "cute" won't be on the list of words you use to describe England

LOL also, you should take a trip up to scotland and whales too .... cute LOOOOOOL ...

Jon Shannow

Oct 11, 2010
Why would non magic users be called Cara'sin? It is set in Britain, and muggle is the name British wizards use to describe British non magic users, why the fuck would they go into some pretentious fantasy naming bollocks when it makes no sense to and muggle is easier to say.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
irrelevant83 said:
As an American, I do like British culture, especially comedy, but I can't get over their obsession with making everything cute.
Yet another Englishman here to say 'what in the Hell are you talking about?'. We don't really have a tendancy of making anything overly cutesy (as a general rule we're more cynical, witty and snarky in regards to our humour as well).

I'm not even sure if cute is the right word, it's just the best word I can muster.
That'll be because it isn't the right word, at all.

They don't just apply cute names to things like the Japanese do, but apply cuteness and expect everyone to take it seriously. I can't get into Harry Potter, though I'm sure it's brilliantly written, just because non-magic users are referred to as Muggles. To compare, the Final Fantasy series has creatures called Moogles, but FF doesn't force us to take them seriously.
I think Muggles were supposed to be something along the lines of an informal nickname, just like how you call New Yorkers Yankies, East Londoners are Cockneys or people from Newfoundland are Newfies.

I think you've missed the point completely just because that one word used in that one story sounds slightly different than something from Final Fantasy.

Again, it might just be the fact that I'm American. I'm used to mystical things sounding sort of Asian or Middle Eastern and putting apostrophes in random places. An ancient secret society should be called Kal'sur and the mystical weapon should be Dor'salim. So if non-magic using people in the HP universe were called Cara'sin instead of Muggles, maybe I wouldn't be posting this on the net, but as it is, Muggles is a word that forces me to accept the fact that I'm reading a book written for an 8 year old even though the later novels grow with the audience.
That'll be because the books were written by an Englishwoman who was trying to make it sound very quaint and 'English sounding' (I read the first book and I was fairly certain that one was for children, it's about wizards, school and the standard Changling fantasy), it would be out of place in a very british world for people who's defining trait is being mundane to be given an elaborate or special name (it always felt implied to me that Muggle could even have been taken as a type of racial slur in-universe, of course it doesn't sound particularly graceful or special, how many racial slurs or derogitory terms can you think of that are?).

In other words, Harry Potter isn't Final Fantasy so of course there will be differences in the naming.

As it is, I hate British naming of Fantasy things. Posters should feel free to add their own grievances.
As it stands you've only named one example and seem to believe that this justifies your opinion across the entire spectrum of British fantasy.

Farson89

Apr 16, 2009
Well, there you go OP, you've got a full fifteen pages worth of people who have no idea what you're blithering about. That might be a new record.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Little Duck said:
Where in the UK are you talking about. Cos the only parts of the UK which are cute are the same ones which can't be seen in this image:

We're so cute that we have a seasides named Grimsby and Blackpool.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
KingofallCosmos said:
SirBryghtside said:
I generally don't care about pretentiousness - it just looks cool.

I mean, Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh Wgah'nagl fhtan?

How is that not awesome? :p
Because it looks like you're in a bad tv show trying to fend off hackers

...though I admit when read out loud it does sound out of this world. It just doesn't fit in a magic world colliding with british school life.

Edit: Anybody read some of Walter Moers' work? Also for children and adults. There the innocent/childlike approach only provides more imaginative storytelling. Children's novels hold little boundaries, whereas fantasy novels tend to reuse the same elements over and over.
...that's not from Harry Potter, that's from Call Of Cthulhu :p
Well, thank you for proving my last point ;)

Spoon E11

Oct 27, 2010
Successful troll is successful.

C'mon please don't feed him.

This thread should be laid to rest. Its full of people who have no idea what OP is on about (myself included).

Sovvolf said:
Little Duck said:
Where in the UK are you talking about. Cos the only parts of the UK which are cute are the same ones which can't be seen in this image:

We're so cute that we have a seasides named Grimsby and Blackpool.
Only one of which are visible on that map

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
You could also make the argument that words like "boot" and "bonnet" sound pretty cutesy to an American, but it's all a matter of perspective, I guess.

Also, the original writer's assumption about Japanese is also pretty off. If you really get to know the language, you realize they have ridiculously cute sounding words for almost everything and "cuteness" is literally built into the culture. Did you know that the sound effect "poka poka" is a perfectly legitimate substitute for the verb "to boil" in Japanese, even in newspapers?