Anyone else hate British cuteness?

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
Can I just bring up the fact that while he's bashing us for calling non-magical people muggles America is coming up with "Glee" and most of the Disney Channel content, most of which is stupid repetitive cheery rubbish. And you call us cutesy?

On topic though the reason "cutesy" is because its a family/children's series. If it had apostrophes in random places people would have a lot of difficulty pronouncing it. Muggles, simple and easy to read.

P.S If you think the British are cutesy you have clearly not heard Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation.

Edit: Just realized that

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
You're basing all of British culture on Harry potter, a series of books for children?

You serious bro?

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Yeah, nobody knows what in the blue blazes of the spiffing great titties of Cthulhu you're on about.

As for the Japanease only doing cute names... really? REALLLY?

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, there isn't cute humor in Britain. I remember reading about an Italian immigrant who's English friends took the piss out of him, he wrote into the paper with that, and the woman wrote back telling him to get over it, it's our sense of humor and we take the piss out of each other all the time.

ViviFFIX

Dec 10, 2008
Quick point... The book was originally written for children and in the first book she calls them muggles. The point you made about the books growing with the audience is fair enough but she can't exactly change an established fact can she?

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Radoh said:
British cuteness? What are you talking about?
I've never heard of such a thing before, and I certainly don't agree that 'muggles' sounds cute.
Also, you'd better take the Moogles seriously, their knights will mess you up.
I think he's going on about the names given don't feel serious, but try to be serious, while the Japanese example didn't feel serious, but doesn't expect to be serious.

alittlepepper

Feb 14, 2010
I...really have to say that I'm not sure what you're on about here. I'm American, but I have a number of UK friends that I speak to regularly, and they've always seemed to be to be pretty...um...well, cynical and straightforward about things. I actually kind of admire that quality in general (specifically in humor, Beyond the Fringe was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen in my life), but...cute? No. I've seen someone else make this point about your point of contention, the muggle thing, but that word doesn't seem...cute to me. It sounds like an insult, like calling someone under your station (real or imagined) a peon.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
OP is trolling, that's the only explanation I can think of.

If he seriously thinks that because "muggle" bears passing resemblance to the word "moogle" that muggles (see: normal people(us)) were supposed to be cute, then he's a fucking idiot. Yet somehow I doubt that.

NotYetForsaken

Power in Procedure
Sep 27, 2010
Eh? Britain cute?

Let me explain something, Britain, Engalnd and Scotland in particular is absolutely not cute, much rather they play on dark humor and...

Have you ever seen Victoria London? Ever? Not even with those Posh assholes walking around? That kind of stereotype? No?

Look, muggles <- that word, is not cute, it's derogatory. It's just the way some English is said, especially by people talking in a posh accent.

Really, if you want to rant about cute, rant about Japan.

Abengoshis

Aug 12, 2009
TheMehKingdom said:
Eh? Britain cute?

Let me explain something, Britain, Engalnd and Scotland in particular is absolutely not cute, much rather they play on dark humor and...

Have you ever seen Victoria London? Ever? Not even with those Posh assholes walking around? That kind of stereotype? No?

Look, muggles <- that word, is not cute, it's derogatory. It's just the way some English is said, especially by people talking in a posh accent.

I barely see posh people walking around in London. Don't know where you've been...

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
oktalist said:
For the record, Harry Potter is not brilliantly written.
You might want to rethink what you just said there. There's a metric fuckton of people out there, of all ages and backgrounds, who enjoyed her books. That widespread appeal certainly is pretty brilliant - even if it isn't quite The Canterbury Tales v2

It's not like something can only be a good book when it caters exclusively to the pretentious literary snobs among us.

NotYetForsaken

Power in Procedure
Sep 27, 2010
Abengoshis said:
TheMehKingdom said:
Eh? Britain cute?

Let me explain something, Britain, England and Scotland in particular is absolutely not cute, much rather they play on dark humor and...

I barely see posh people walking around in London. Don't know where you've been...
When I meant "Victorian London" I meant in the victorian age, I doubt you are old enough to have lived during that time. That's also besides the point, I was joking about that British stereotype that was suppose to be pervalent as "British" or rather "English."

Calvar Draveir

Feb 10, 2010
Nothing is cute about "Muggles". By the 7th book, when you've learned how it's basically an allegory for Hitler (voldemort) and Jews (Muggles), and all of them are being murdered, then it won't seem cute. Also, Harry Potter is not the extent of british culture. At all.

Daemeous

Jul 13, 2011
SckizoBoy said:
It's actually rather disturbing that I genuinely find Nurglings... cute... and I perpetually refer to Nurgle as 'Grandpappy Nurgle'.
Nah, it's the internet, that's pretty damn tame.

Jedisolo75

Aug 12, 2009
lunncal said:
SillyBear said:
Mate, I've got no idea what you are talking about.

Most things that come out of Britain are tremendously dull and seedy and dark as far as art and entertainment goes. The British are one of the most cynical people in the world.
Hey, our comedy is miles better than than anything America has produced! Red Dwarf, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Black Adder, uh... Dad's army, all extremely British comedies that are all great.

OT: I am going to agree with everyone asking what the hell you are talking about, OP. Got any more examples than that one?
Really, You are going to put Black Adder up there like it's funny, like it's in the same category as Monty Python and Red Dwarf? Worst, comedy ever. It makes me want to shove pins in my ears and eyes so that I don't have to see/hear it anymore.

I love Red Dwarf though, and Faulty Towers, and I am a huge Monty Python fan, but I may never forgive the British for Black Adder.

WildFire15

Jun 18, 2008
FISHFINGERS said:
Magicmad5511 said:
Edit: Just realized that
Yeah, basically this.
agreed

Do yourself a favour OP and steer clear of Wallace and Gromit. I don't think you'd be able to take the character or invention designs. Or the accents

Jedisolo75 said:
Really, You are going to put Black Adder up there like it's funny, like it's in the same category as Monty Python and Red Dwarf? Worst, comedy ever. It makes me want to shove pins in my ears and eyes so that I don't have to see/hear it anymore.

I love Red Dwarf though, and Faulty Towers, and I am a huge Monty Python fan, but I may never forgive the British for Black Adder.
Out of curiosity, which series of Black Adder have you seen?

Bryony Wadsworth

Jul 11, 2011
The very fact you use only one example to back up your ridiculous statement personally screams ignorance to me. Saying we make ?everything? cute and stating one example (which is basically a matter of opinion and doesn?t hold any clear fact seeing as I myself regard the title ?muggle? as rather humorous more than cute..) just makes this whole topic a small puff of American gas to me?have you even been over here? Sampled any other examples of our lolly-pop land to add to your list?

And to my fellow Brit up above saying ?Britain is very much a knock-off of America, but with added nihilism.? this statement really rubbed me up the wrong way?

In my eyes American is like Britain?s showy, over-weight little brother; not without its charms but with none of the richness of character and class as its older sibling has.

To close Harry Potter is a children?s book?a children?s book that has reached out to a slightly older audience in its later years but a children?s book all the same. We are not so cold and stiff that we name our kiddie book characters dark and mystical names so the poor little bastards can?t even read the bloody thing. Our country has created some very fine fantasy and I personally find anything considered ?cute? rather irritating. So in my eyes you are wrong old chap?but others have put it far better above.

Rekrul

Nov 24, 2010
If it was M'uggsel would it be less "cute"? Also, your generalisation is so cutey-wutey-you-ickle-wickle-monster-you awwww come here *squeezes cheek* midoinritenao?