Anyone else looking forward to the Eurovision Song Content tonight? Ah, political voting...

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Nomad said:
I have to question whether Austria would have won if the song had been performed by someone else. The song itself was nothing much out of the ordinary, after all. As a social and political statement, I can agree that it is sweet that Austria won. But I do believe the way the votes keep landing goes against the idea of a song contest.
Eurovision hasn't really been a song contest for a looooong time.

Treeberry

Nov 27, 2013
I watched the entirety of it with my family and I have a headache for it. I hadn't seen Eurovision since Terry Wogan was still presenting. Ugh. So cringeworthy.

Oh, Poland. >.> I can't tell if they were trying too hard or not even trying.

Nomad said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Finished watching it, sweet that Austria won, especially since some places wanted Austria out of the contest (according to my sister anyway)
I have to question whether Austria would have won if the song had been performed by someone else. The song itself was nothing much out of the ordinary, after all. As a social and political statement, I can agree that it is sweet that Austria won. But I do believe the way the votes keep landing goes against the idea of a song contest.
I fully agree with this.

Anyway, at least we beat France and Germany even if we did lose out to really bad sex appeal and those dodgy boyband things.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Congratulations Conchita!

The first time Russia got booed i laughed but when it kept going i started feeling kind of bad for those girls.

This is the first time i'm actually proud of the Dutch participants. At first i thought it wasn't over the top enough to get any attention but apparently people loved it. I wonder if our Ilse would have won if she had a beard :D

Is it me or has this been the best Eurosong in years? I normally watch just to laugh at the grannies, the giants and the orcs but a lot of the songs where quite good this time.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
I'm incredibly happy that Denmark got so few points.. because to hell with Basim and his retarded song.

As or Austria.. the only thing I disliked was how people referred to the transvestite as a she rather than a he.

P.S. Sweden should have won.. but i'm a dane so my opinion is obviously biased.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Sofus said:
As or Austria.. the only thing I disliked was how people referred to the transvestite as a she rather than a he.
"Conchita" is a character the guy plays, so it's actually correct to refer to her as "she" when she's performing. Lots of drag performers do that sort of thing - act as if the character they play is actually a real other person (perhaps most notably Barry Humphries with his character Dame Edna Everage, who had her own autobiography and everything). It's just part of the show.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Ah, I would have preferred it if the UK or Sweden had won but after them, Austria isn't a bad choice. The song was pretty good and I hope the bearded lady aspect makes certain people in Russia and co squirm >:)

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
Everyone knows that Latvia had the best song. Why didn't they go to the finals? (San Marino's Maybe? REALLY?! Complete bullshit.)
Just give three minutes of your time to it, it's wonderful:

I'll admit that I don't really care about the ESC's in general, and that this year had quite a few good songs. But the fact that Latvia didn't get to the finals rubs me the wrong way.
As it stands I'm quite happy that Conchita won. The song was pretty good and I found the act rather charming.
And at the very least the political voting of ...let's say, a collection of former union states, didn't get to fuck up the finals as it was allowed to fuck up the semis.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Eamar said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
the political outrage against the Russian girls seemed unfair
It wasn't outrage against them as individuals though, or even against their song - it was outrage against them as representatives of Russia and, by extension, the Russian government. Kind of a protest, I guess. Eurovision's so political, nothing's meant personally against the performers themselves. In fact, I'm pretty sure the girls were prepared for a negative reaction what with the current political climate and all.
I still wouldn't call it fair, nor respectful. Eurovision is supposed to be above politics, sure we get neighbor voting but hell this isn't about politicians this is about us all having a big ol' fabulous party. It's not like those two 17 year old girls can really do something about Putin, nor really have something to do with it.

Regardless, I had a lot of fun tonight and I'm glad Austria won. Definitely the most fabulous song of the entire show, and most definitely the fiercest. Still surprised my home country got the second place with that relatively boring song.

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
I still wouldn't call it fair, nor respectful. Eurovision is supposed to be above politics, sure we get neighbor voting but hell this isn't about politicians this is about us all having a big ol' fabulous party. It's not like those two 17 year old girls can really do something about Putin, nor really have something to do with it.

Regardless, I had a lot of fun tonight and I'm glad Austria won. Definitely the most fabulous song of the entire show, and most definitely the fiercest. Still surprised my home country got the second place with that relatively boring song.
As I'm sure have been mentioned already in the thread, ESC haven't been really been about the music for quite a few years. I do agree with you though, it's not fair to boo the act because of what Russias government are up to. It was really underwhelming and way to mediocre to have a place in the ESC finals, but not something to boo.

Suprised? I thought that as far as "good music" in the finals goes, the Netherlands had probably the strongest entry. That little country bit was a really good song and I like the fact that it was recognized.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
tokae said:
As I'm sure have been mentioned already in the thread, ESC haven't been really been about the music for quite a few years. I do agree with you though, it's not fair to boo the act because of what Russias government are up to. It was really underwhelming and way to mediocre to have a place in the ESC finals, but not something to boo.

Suprised? I thought that as far as "good music" in the finals goes, the Netherlands had probably the strongest entry. That little country bit was a really good song and I like the fact that it was recognized.
Oh sure, to me it's about the act, not so much about the actual musical quality. I've got Spotify for that, I want crazy insane stuff for Eurovision and it was a bit of a dissapointment in that regard this year. Hence why Ilse DeLange bored me with that country song; sure, musically it was a strong entry, but I'd never call it a Eurovision song. Austria sure as hell delivered in that regard.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Bearded lady? Hopefully people will step up their game next time and have siamese twins and dwarfs and a guy who hammers nails up his nose.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Eamar said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
the political outrage against the Russian girls seemed unfair
It wasn't outrage against them as individuals though, or even against their song - it was outrage against them as representatives of Russia and, by extension, the Russian government. Kind of a protest, I guess. Eurovision's so political, nothing's meant personally against the performers themselves. In fact, I'm pretty sure the girls were prepared for a negative reaction what with the current political climate and all.
I didnt watch it but i have to agree booing the russians is if anything irrelevant. We all know what putins like and somehow I cant imagine him being too pissed off about being booed in the worlds campest competition (associated with homosexuality).

Hes ignored sanctions from the UN so hes unlikely to listen to fans on a song contest.

Krustosaurus

Mar 6, 2013
I never really bothered with Eurovision but everyone at my university seems to be obsessed with it so I thought I'd give it a go this year. I sat down with the intention of watching it, expecting to see something along the lines of this:
Such disappointment. I wish everyone would just be as outrageous as possible. I didn't really pay much attention to it after a few ballads.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I enjoyed it. My three favourites were Austria, The Netherlands and Sweden, in that order, so I thought the outcome was pretty good.

Apparently some Russian politician reacted by saying that they should never have freed Austria after they invaded it "fifty years ago". Which just goes to demonstrate the level of ignorance behind such intolerant views, because in fact they invaded Austria seventy years ago and left it sixty years ago.

flag_hippo

May 9, 2014
That was Vladimir Zhirinovsky. The king of nutters in Russia.
Just last week he asked his aides to violently rape a journalist after being asked a question he didn't like. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/04/21/russia-rape-reporter_n_5184299.html
Such comments should be expected of him. Infact I would've been shocked if he never said anything.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
Too bad the 'controversial' contestant got so much attention when the music should be placed in the spotlights. What was so special anyway? A man in a dress?
I liked the Dutch song much better, it was clearly the better song. I am a little biased though.
Better luck next time around.

The booing whenever Russia was mentioned was a disgrace and shouldn't have any place in such a contest.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
Reynaert said:
Too bad the 'controversial' contestant got so much attention when the music should be placed in the spotlights. What was so special anyway? A man in a dress?
I liked the Dutch song much better, it was clearly the better song. I am a little biased though.

I'm glad Austria won. I like bombast and her voice was amazing. And I just hated our song, it's so boring! How we managed to grab second place is beyond me.

Nomad

Dire Penguin
Aug 3, 2008
Reynaert said:

The booing whenever Russia was mentioned was a disgrace and shouldn't have any place in such a contest.
I'm thinking the victory should have gone to Iceland, if a political statement was the goal. After all, the message would be the same, except in their case it was embedded in the actual lyrics rather than in the singer. And besides, that was cleary the better song!