Anyone else notice all the ZP videos have been replaced?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So maybe this is a bug, but I've tried God of War 4, Far Cry 5, Subnautica, Splatoon and Dead Space 3 and they all just link to the Escapist YouTube channel intro trailer, the old one with Lisa Foils, Moviebob and Jim Sterling. I'm guessing its a ZP wide bug and they're all like this for now

Probably the new owners are updating the code or something...

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I'm guessing it (along with the timestamps getting borked, the "newest threads" box going in and out, and in my case at least, my avatar disappearing) is happening with everyone. The site is going kind of nutter butters right now.

If you're an optimist, the new ownership is taking control and is getting everything moved over to their own servers or whatever and these are just a few growing pains we'll have to wait out for a few days or so.

If you're a pessimist, this is what a website taken off life support looks like...

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
yeah, that was weird, also kinda sad. Like the site was reminding me of all the great content creators it no longer has.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Huh, I had that happen for a couple months, like a year ago. I wonder why it always defaults to that video.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Zontar said:
votemarvel said:
Silentpony said:
The Escapist has new owners?
Yeah Defy sold it to Destructoid.
Do we have confirmation on this yet or are we still speculating? They just told us something is coming, but not that it happened yet or what that something is.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Lil devils x said:
Zontar said:
votemarvel said:
Silentpony said:
The Escapist has new owners?
Yeah Defy sold it to Destructoid.
Do we have confirmation on this yet or are we still speculating? They just told us something is coming, but not that it happened yet or what that something is.
Speculation I believe, but the vague statements in combination with the sudden pulse of whatever is happening would signal to me that something is, indeed, happening. What, I don't know.

Could argue that pulling embedded links and shooting them to a youtube channel is Defy deciding to ice this arm of the escapist, and just keep the profitable part, or you could argue that pulling the links is part of prep on a new site roll out. Or, or. Destructiod bought the crap half of the escapist, and Defy is shifting the money half somewhere else before they hand it over.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Thanks for the info. I didn't even think to look in that other thread as the title was just too vague.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Aside from the other weirdness mentioned, quote notifications seem to be on the fritz again as well.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I felt a profound melancholy seeing that old advert and I didn't even watch half the shows it presented.

I imagine that issue will be fixed soon since ZP is the site's main draw.

Apr 5, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
I'm guessing it (along with the timestamps getting borked, the "newest threads" box going in and out, and in my case at least, my avatar disappearing) is happening with everyone. The site is going kind of nutter butters right now.

If you're an optimist, the new ownership is taking control and is getting everything moved over to their own servers or whatever and these are just a few growing pains we'll have to wait out for a few days or so.

If you're a pessimist, this is what a website taken off life support looks like...
My avatar is gone too, the quotes thing stopped working again and as of this moment, the forum posts box on the front page has gone :(

What new ownership? And why isn't your name in colour?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
KingsGambit said:
My avatar is gone too, the quotes thing stopped working again and as of this moment, the forum posts box on the front page has gone :(
The avatars and quotes have just been defaulted off in form options, you can set them back at least till they break again.

I think it's reset my timezone, dunno how to fix that.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I?m having avatar issues as well. My original (and only) avatar shows when I make a post, but in the site banner where I?d normally see the little clickable ?me? with a dropdown of links to profile/notification options, I see the default Escapist ?white dude with a yellow shirt and black hat.?

Surely the ominous ?something is coming? thread wasn?t a cruelly-clandestine-and-objectively-true hint that ?the END is coming??

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Xprimentyl said:
I?m having avatar issues as well. My original (and only) avatar shows when I make a post, but in the site banner where I?d normally see the little clickable ?me? with a dropdown of links to profile/notification options, I see the default Escapist ?white dude with a yellow shirt and black hat.?

Surely the ominous ?something is coming? thread wasn?t a cruelly-clandestine-and-objectively-true hint that ?the END is coming??
All Avatars are now off for me.

Apr 5, 2008
Thaluikhain said:
KingsGambit said:
The avatars and quotes have just been defaulted off in form options, you can set them back at least till they break again.

I think it's reset my timezone, dunno how to fix that.
Thanks for that reply, very helpful and spot on. However, despite that all those options have defaulted off, I can't change them. Or rather, I can change them but the change won't stick :-(

Hope it does get resolved...was so excited to see quotes working again, even tho I rarely get quoted o.o

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
KingsGambit said:
tippy2k2 said:

What new ownership? And why isn't your name in colour?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1055294-Something-is-coming

We have no idea if it is legit or not but a lot of things are going on that would be explained by a new ownership group taking over The Escapist.

As to my color, I stepped down as Mod like...a month ago give or take.