Anyone else still love Invader Zim?

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
So, seeing as the plans are being laid for a 3rd Invader Zim convention (Doomcon 3: Final Doom) as we speak I thought I'd ask: who, 12 years on, still loves Invader Zim? What makes it so enduring for you? Judging by some of the avatars on these forums, I know it's not just me that still enjoys it.

I saw a few episodes when it first started airing, but it wasn't until the DVDs came out and I was able to watch the whole show back-to-back that I realized what an amazing series it really was. I just dusted the disks off after about 3 years and find I can still quote a lot of it word-for-word. I think it's both the sometimes dark subject matter and well-timed delivery that puts it above other cartoons from the era.

So, love it? Hate it? Never heard of it?

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I haven't watched it in a long time, but I was a fan of the show when it aired. Like you said, it had a darker atmosphere but still managed to have some great zingers. It really was different from the other Nicktoons that were airing at the time, which is probably what caught so many peoples' attention. Gir being very marketable at Hot Topic probably didn't hurt things either. There are a few episodes I personally don't care for, but for the most part I still like it.

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
I love invader Zim.

I've probably watched every episode four or five times, though not recently.

I love how cynical and bitter a lot of the humor is.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Invader Zim was pretty good, too bad they don't make new episodes :/

I met Gir's voice actor at a convention 2 years ago, sadly he wasn't nearly as fun in person as I thought he would be.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I remember really liking the show a lot back when it was just getting off tv. I still watch it on occasion it is very funny. I really like Vasques's comics they are soooooo much more funny.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I absolutely love Invader Zim, and still rewatch episodes with a similarly-inclined old housemate.

It's fantastic, and it appeals to my sense of humour perfectly.

"You guys are just begging to face the moose!!"

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I don't really understand the purpose of a convention for a long-cancelled TV show with no ongoing franchise. But that's just me.

I loved Invader Zim when I was in middle school. I still enjoy it whenever it comes on Nickelodeon.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I liked the show, maybe not to the extent some people do, especially considering how they really pushed the boundaries of what could be in a kid's cartoon. Too bad Nickelodeon had to go and axe it...

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Invader Zim reminds me of my stereotypically gothic roommate from the army who had major problems with social skills. I constantly had to hear about how hilarious Jhonen Vasquez was. I don't like being reminded of that. But ugh, 12 years ago, I feel really old now.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Invader Zim was one of the few cartoons from my childhood I greatly disliked.

The animation style made me sick to look at, and I wasn't a fan of the "shock" brand of its humor.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I don't think I like it as much now as I used to. I saw a few episodes recently and, while I still laughed and enjoyed it, I couldn't see why I loved it so much back then.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
I thought the cartoon was okay. I wanted a cartoon series based off his better line of work.
[http://photobucket.com/images/Johnny%20the%20Homicidal%20Maniac]

This line of comics would make a great adult cartoon. Much in the same way HBO used to have Spawn.

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
I still love it, but I haven't watched it in quite awhile. It's kind of like what happened with Mr. Show: got the DVD's, watched it a LOT, got burned out, now it's years between viewings. But it's definitely got a special place in my heart, and I still use GIR for most of my avatars at various websites.

I used to have a GIR avatar here, but I changed it to a drawing of Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber and his precocious orphan friend Fourvel.

Snowpatch

Feb 26, 2013
I rather enjoyed the show. It was endearing for me for the fact I related a bit to him. I was a strange, dark kid that fit in as well as an alien would.

It was a stress relief as well as pure entertainment to me.

I'd love to see it come back. I don't even care if it comes back on as a TV show again. I'd just care to see it survive as a franchise.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I loved it as a kid. At the time I felt it was one of the few shows on Nick or Cartoon Network that actually had an edge to it. The humour was just the right blend of misanthropic and silly that really suited me to a tee and I think it still holds up pretty well. One of the few things from my childhood that I can still go back to as an adult and enjoy today.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
I did love it and still do. Of all the shows getting reboots I think it's the most deserving.

Big problem there is Vasquez really hated working on it. He liked the show, just really hated the execs at Nickelodeon.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
One does not simply not like Invader Zim.

Due to limited resources, though, I've only seen about half the episodes. :/

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I dunno, I never really got into it or understood the appeal.
I think I was just too old for it when it came out.

BM19

Sep 24, 2012
Loved the show as a kid, and I'm still in strong like with it now, despite it becoming the figurehead for a rather annoying subculture of Hot Topic kids who act random because, HEY -- GIR did it! Tee-hee, tacos and mooses, etc.

I try not to let others affect my opinions just based on their behavior, though. The show still holds up rather well today, so I still like it.