Anyone Else Think Anonymous is Pathetic?

haddaway234

Mar 19, 2010
I know its not any specific group of people, anyone can do something and call themselves anonymous. But I find it really lame what they do, I'm sure many people get excited as if its like the movie V for Vendetta. But does anyone else agree that what they do, while it is pretty petty stuff, still too extreme? I find that they are never really justified for what they do. I've seen videos of people who call themselves part of anonymous and they're just kids with fanny packs.

For example, put yourself in Sony's shoes, do you want your video game console hacked so that people can steal games on it?

How about the facebook operation thing (if you don't know what that is, basically 'anonymous' wants to shut down facebook because of privacy settings. They claim facebook is giving information to the government so they can spy people, link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWQTS8zqYXU&feature=player_embedded)

I think the facebook one is the worst, first of all its optional to make a facebook, secondly everything thats on there was posted up by the individual and really isn't something that the goverment could use against you. What is the government going to do with a list of your favourite music, your hometown, or pictures of you? This is all information they could get by knocking on your door and asking.

Here's the top rated comment from the video, and I agree with it: "OHH NOOO THE GOVERNMENTS GONNA SELL MY FACEBOOK INFO TO THE WORLDS!....but yall are gonna make it ok and destroy how i was able to find my mother and sister after not seeing them for 14 years...thanks for the help guys...pathetic."

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
*Sweats profusely*

Haha... No... Of course not.
[small]Shut up man, don't push the guy fawkes fanclub![/small] [sub]They'll "hack" us... or call us unpleasent names[/sub]

mortalkiller

Feb 10, 2011
there is no proof anonymous hacked sony
even anonymous said they dint
and anon has no reason to lie
and anon LOOOOVE attention so if they dont jump in the attention wagon its probably true

Anons action is mostly to take down websites using DDOS
or with a good group of hackers
they will attack
but i have to agree that taking down websites does not destroy a company / goverment

though Anonymous job is not the attack but the attention it wants to give when it attack the target

doing it for the lulz is always fun ^_^

Exosus

Jun 24, 2008
I agree completely. There is something seriously wrong with those people, and not in the good 'lol we're so edgy' kind of way they seem to think. Self-involved twats if you ask me.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
Given what's going on with the Escapist, they might as well drop the DDOS bomb on us.....again.

That's right, Anon. I dare you. I double dog dare you. At least, Lulzsec gets it done.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
thepyrethatburns said:
Given what's going on with the Escapist, they might as well drop the DDOS bomb on us.....again.

That's right, Anon. I dare you. I double dog dare you. At least, Lulzsec gets it done.
Did anon say they DDoS attacked us. Seriously?

Romblen

Oct 10, 2009
I agree, they try way too hard to sound like a badass when they never actually do anything besides hide behind mask.

Also, has anyone else seen "The Plan" that they released a while back? Now that was really stupid

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Pathetic? No. If they were pathetic they wouldn't be the Terror of the Interweb Seas.

Also, I kinda hope they do something soon to Facebook. I kinda hate hearing "I got into a facebook fight last night"

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
TeeBs said:
thepyrethatburns said:

Pretty sure they did... They were getting a lot of criticism on this site during the PSN outage, and the Escapist and a few other sites got shut down for about a day as a result.

Anyways, Anon recently got called out at DefCon. Some of you may find it interesting: http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-08-anonymous-antics-hacker-feud.html

Ohgr

May 7, 2008
I'll be honest, I am kinda frightened by the prospect of a group of people playing with something very dangerous who seem to be bound by nothing by roaming personal ethics.

Now, You could argue that everyone with any kind of power makes their decisions based on roaming personal ethics and yet I trust them. Heck, I even rely on them. And you would largely be right. Maybe I'm being needlessly paranoid. But a faceless group of supposed hackers seem like a whole different animal to me.

EDIT: Thanks for the article EdwardOrchard

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Since I'd rather these forums not be overrun by 4chan trolls, no I think they do brilliant work and are single-handedly responsible for the smooth running of the modern world.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
TeeBs said:
thepyrethatburns said:

Actually, it was Lulzsec.....

http://www.geekosystem.com/lulzec-titani-takedown/

Drenaje1

Aug 6, 2011
I could care less. But I think I might enjoy it if they actually succeed in screwing with facebook.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Their delusions of grandeur are tiresome, to say the least, but I think what's truly pathetic is the way people cower in fear when they're brought up.

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
This whole Facebook destruction thing is facist and I frown upon any and all who support these masked cowards.
If they want to do things 'for the Lulz' they should consider something else to waste their time doing, not this.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
haddaway234 said:
Anyone Else Think Anonymous is Pathetic?
Welcome, brother. We've been expecting you! Mwa ha ha ha ha ha haaa!!!

(Seriously though, yeah. They're kinda' lame.)

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
EdwardOrchard said:
TeeBs said:
thepyrethatburns said:

Pretty sure they did... They were getting a lot of criticism on this site during the PSN outage, and the Escapist and a few other sites got shut down for about a day as a result.
That wasn't Anonymous; that was Lulzsec. Not quite the same thing.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
EdwardOrchard said:
TeeBs said:
thepyrethatburns said:

Anyways, Anon recently got called out at DefCon. Some of you may find it interesting: http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-08-anonymous-antics-hacker-feud.html
The thing that sucks about anonymous is anyone can be anonymous, which is also its greatest trait. which is what I feel is expressed in this passage.

I have said before you can disagree with there antics, but its really hard to call them the bad guy, and the site going down is also a poor reason to point fingers. I mean my god this site has been known to go down because a new Zero Punctuation came out.

Here, I wish to quote the forth amendment.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Anonymous may or may not have release names, addresses all that, in which they would have broke the forth amendment. We know Facebook has sold information to our and other governments. I direct violation of the 4th amendment, but I have seen more arguments talking about "Doh how stupid of anon for attacking facebook. Why should I care if the government knows my favorite bands." As of right now your rights are being taken away. People have died because facebook has sold information to governments including Syria, Libya and Egypt. But since anonymous is actually doing something about it people are more obsessed with attacking anonymous then it is with dealing with the current issue.

If I could see a end to the dictatorships and evil governments in general that would be great. If I could sleep at night knowing my personal information is safe, and facebook isn't selling other peoples information at the cost of there own safety that would be good.

Anonymous actions may be questionable, but the attack on facebook is understandable. especually if they don't end up taking anyones personal info. We will see.

The thing that makes me angry is we are currently attacking anonymous. Instead of acknowledging the bigger issue.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
The word Anonymous is like the word Hipster. By that I mean nobody has any fucking idea what they're talking about when they say it. Most people only know what the news tells them about Anonymous, which really isn't the whole story. At any given time a new group of people could be in the news calling themselves anonymous.

Regardless if you think that anonymous is unjustified and therefore lame, good for you. Enjoy the media buzz that will continue to spew rumours about everything "they" do or don't do.