Anyone ever had broken consoles?

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
Just recently I thought my PS3 was broke, or at least messed up. In some ways I still think it is. I was trying to open a door that was near it, the door caught on the power cable and pulled just enough that the power made a crackling sound and the ps3 was turned off. I freaked out, pushed the cord back in, turned it on and oh my god, my PS3 was SOOOO slow. The OS loaded slow, games loaded slow, and also ran rather slow and had troubles loading areas and dialogue.

Basically, I had to upload all my saved files to the PS+ cloud, wipe the hard drive, and I replaced it with a better hard drive anyway. Since it was a 7200RPM hard drive with a bigger cache, things loaded up a lot faster, but when playing Infamous I noticed a lot of pop in and the lagging a bit when it loads stuff in. Can someone please notify me if that's just how the game normally runs, or is there something else that got messed up in my PS3 from the accident?

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
I've lost my snes, gameboy, gameboy color, gameboy advance, DS, and PSP break in some way. The Snes was a matter of sitting to far back with a wired controller and having it fall on the floor one to many times. The handhelds, that list includes every handheld I've ever owned, and there are a lot more consuls I can't play anymore because I'm out of working controllers for them. They get carried around a lot and the controls ware down after a while.

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
Never had a console truly break on me, well at least to the point where it wouldn't turn on.

However my PS3's disk drive did sputter and die several months ago after trying to play Uncharted 3. I can still play all my downloaded games just find, but I'm getting no luck with any of my physical games.

smokeyninjas

Apr 5, 2010
Went though 3 maybe 4 xbox 360's so now i'm just a pc gamer.

Edit
Think my dreamcast also bit the dust before its time

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
badgersprite said:
Its PS2 Slim brother works like a dream.
My slim overheats like a *****...well not OVERheats because it still runs, but it's hot to the touch and worries me. NOt sure if it will fry my discs or something.

OT:My original PS2 kept getting disc read errors. There was also that shit with the "Bluebacks", but that didn't kill it. Dust didn't either as far as I know, the laser just gave out. So I took it apart, accidentally disconnected the power button thingy from the board, and got it half working for a month before I said screw it and bought a Gamecube.

I think that's it, here's hoping my PS3 will live a long and happy life.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I've had a pc I ordered come with a busted motherboard before. I've had two ps2s break on me, fortinately I had the extended warrenty and just swapped them out. I've also had two 360s break on me, the first was under the extended warrenty from ms but the second was out of it and I had to fix it myself so I dont trust it to play games anymore.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Lucky Godzilla said:
Never had a console truly break on me, well at least to the point where it wouldn't turn on.

However my PS3's disk drive did sputter and die several months ago after trying to play Uncharted 3. I can still play all my downloaded games just find, but I'm getting no luck with any of my physical games.
It might be the disc gear if there is no noise when you put it in. That's a pretty simple fix if you can find someone to do it. Unless it spins up, then it might be the laser which is known to have a life expectancy of 1000 hours.

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I gave up on the console race at the current generation, so the last console I got was a Gamecube in like 2004. While most of my consoles have bugs and quirks the one that works the best is the Sega Genesis that I was born with. My copy of Sonic the Hedgehog has a hole punched in it like someone nailed it to a wall and it still runs fine. (Later levels might be broken, I never got past that Pseudo-Egyptian level with all the water)

My PS2 wont even play the old blue disks that came with the first games that it was launched with, really want to play SSX one more time.

I switched to PC gaming in 2005 and have had multiple crashes since then. My current rig ran the same hard-drives for 3 years without fail but decided to crash right after the beginning twist in Heart of the Swarm so I had a very bad week waiting for replacements wanting to know if a certain character had actually been killed.

soes757

Jan 24, 2011
My ps3 is the only console I own to ever break, its lasted six years. It finally died while I was playing Skyrim. Other than that, nothing has died. Well on its own. I've dropped my DS before.

rockoffanddie

Apr 8, 2009
When I first bought my ps3 I took it home, but couldn't set it up for a few hours. When I did set it up it did not work, but I took it back the next day and exchanged it for did and it has worked ever since. The really annoying thing at the time was that I bought metal gear solid 4 with the console and was incredibly pissed off that I had to wait a whole day with the game in the house before being able to play it.

Captain Anon

Mar 5, 2012
my first PS3, it didn't really kicked the bucket to say, one day i just couldn't play my games not one, had to use the warranty to get a new one damn shame and it was a slim as well

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
psp tis my own fault while there is no visable damage to the screen it must be cracked on the inside, all because i thought screw it itll be fine if i dont leave it in its protective bag.

this is going to be a fun... repair.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
The first Playstation was the first console I had and eventually it got to the point that every time I turned it on, it was a fifty-fifty whether I'd actually get to the game of not.
I've also gone through one 360 from the red ring.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
PS3 died, got it fixed, died again. Didn't have Playstation Plus, so there went my save files when I decided to replace it rather than repair it a third time.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I've owned consoles that date back since before I was born, the first being from 1978 which I got when I was 7.

From the Odyssey 2 to the fourth gen, I had zero failures. From the fifth gen on, I've had multiple failures. Mostly known errors (bad springs in the PS, DRE for PS2, and RROD for 360).

ryessknight

May 30, 2013
Yep. My first gen xbox is broken, my n64, gone through 1 gamecube , 1 playstation first gen, 2 ps2s, 2 xbox 360s, and a few game boys. Only replaced the 360 ,ps2, and gamecube sofar. Oh and the frontloading nes to. Replaced that one with a top loader.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
My first 360 (2nd gen I guess, as it was the elite) RROD'ed on me. And about six months ago My Wii quit recognizing controller input.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
My original SNES I got as a kid died in 2006(still makes me sad to think about it). I tried to repair it, and I even had the part I needed. Unfortunately I had a first gen SNES and the part I had was meant for newer models. The only way I could have gotten what I needed was to have it custom made, so I ended up having to get another one off of Ebay.

I had a launch Xbox 360 that lasted for about 6 years before it finally red ringed.

My launch PS2's laser died a few years after I got it, but Sony fixed it for free. And it's still working to this day.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
My PS2 died during my first move. Other than that, no. All my other children are still alive. Even my shitty old orange donkey kong LCD game. Though my PS3 is kinda dying. Giving me graphical glitches and tends to freeze up on some games. Still works, though. It's a fat first gen model, so it has had a good run.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Three busted 360s and a GameCube. To be fair, I played the Hell out of that GameCube.