Anyone write Fanfiction?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Anyone here do it? Apart from Erttheking of course. I bet at least some of you have. Anyone got something to share so people can quote you and praise you and raise your sweet sweet ego/epeen points?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I've been doing it for about 7 years now, and my skill has improved greatly over time (to the point that most of my work that's more then a few years old I've deleted out of shame, with one exception I hold only because it a, somehow got a fair following, b, is a reminder of how far I've come, and c, will eventually get a rewrite because it's a decent concept with terrible execution).

As it stands I have 4 fics in progress (I start a new one when my laps in writer's block becomes too large). An Evangelion/Marvel crossover (that has a fair few other things leak into it) by the name of Avalon.

An SG-1/New Battlestar Galactica crossover called Brother's Betrayal that's about the survivors of the Aschen civilization tricking the Colonials into starting a war against Earth, and both sides being too deep into it by the time Earth gets a chance to cool things off (and I'm ashamed to say, I made it the same universe as Avalon)

Then there's my SG-1 fic Stargate: Triangulum, a story that's pretty OC centric following an expedition to an Ancient City-Ship in the Triangulum galaxy where they end up in a war with Furling modified Asgard who are twisted and very dangerous, controlled by a reawakened (by their presence, because Stargate humans can't go anywhere without braking everything) evil Lantean controlling them in their suppression of the humans of that galaxy. Like Brother's Betrayal I've made it in the same setting as the previous two stories (though that's only because it's an excuse to explain why there isn't much starship support for the expedition then anything else)

My last is a standalone Mass Effect fic that's in the formate of a short description of something going on followed by a lore dump in the form of an encyclopaedia entry. The premise is that Mars has no Prothean ruins, so humanity doesn't find the Relay in our system until the 2700s, long after the Reaper culled the galaxy. The name is "All Alone in the Night"

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
DO I?!?!?!?!

=throws closet door open. Mountain of fanfics pour out=

*ahem*

But yeah, I have for a fair while now, and have a couple of fics that have gotten a fair amount of attention in their respective fandoms. Actually coming up on my five-year anniversary in a few days, so that's cool.

First up is admittedly kind of a monster, length-wise. As if in, it'll soon be cracking over a million words. It's a Touhou Project story called Imperfect Metamorphosis. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's pretty much a loving deconstruction of the series that takes all the darker elements of the series that were played for laughs and instead plays them straight, and goes detail what sort of catastrophe a bunch of belligerent, overpowered jerks can create. And admittedly, it's been a lot of fun to see just how over the top I can take it. Here's the link if anyone's interested.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5829008/Imperfect-Metamorphosis

It even has it's own TV Tropes page! And I didn't make it! Really. I promise.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/ImperfectMetamorphosis

The second one is a Puella Magi Madoka Magica story called Resonance Days that's in the odd position of being even weirder but somehow easier to explain. It explores the afterlife that was in place before the events of the final episode, with certain decease characters as the protagonists as they try to make their way in what essentailly amounts to a bizzaro world formed by the minds of every magical girl to have ever died. Also, remember the part where Kyubey mentioned that there were other species in the universe that Incubators have contacted? Well, they're here too. And seeing how everyone's already dead and thus can't die, all the different species have formed their own political system and social culture that's already in place when the protagonists arrive. This one's pretty much a straight-up adventure story using PMMM characters in a Wonderland-esque setting. Hey, it's fun. Don't judge.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7940625/1/Resonance-Days

And hey, it also got a TV Tropes page! And no, I didn't make this one either. That's kind of a pet peeve of mine, when I see other writers do that. "In my day, we had to EARN our TV Tropes articles!"

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/ResonanceDays

Anyway, like I said, both stories have gotten a decent-sized following. I also put out a Christmas special every year, and have done a few spin-offs too. Also, one of the best parts is that I've actually received some fanart of my own from my readers, and it's actually really good. Check it out!

(warning: some of it is NSFW. Yes, even I've joined the Rule 34 club)

http://takerfoxx.tumblr.com/post/102482294117/fanart

CGAdam

Nov 20, 2009
Guilty. It's all Borderlands stuff these days. People seem to like it okay. I'm not going to link to it, but I don't have a whole lot of variety in my usernames.

Setrus

Oct 17, 2011
Sure do.

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1916770/Setrus

Mostly nowadays I focus on the main games of Bioware's, bringing them a little more life and drama. (Or evil, as some says...baseless accusations, I say, baseless!) But there's a little bit of everything in there among the older stories, though I find those to be worse in terms of quality.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I'm not sure if it would fall under fanfiction but I am doing an AAR of the Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings II as House Tarth. I haven't played much though so I don't have much written.

Twintix

Jun 28, 2014
TakerFoxx said:
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5829008/Imperfect-Metamorphosis

It even has it's own TV Tropes page! And I didn't make it! Really. I promise.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/ImperfectMetamorphosis
OH MY GOD, THAT'S YOU?!!!! Holy shiet, I'll just let you know that you've got some quite impressive writing skills, my good man!

OT: Yeah, I write. Or wrote. I kinda want to pick it up again, but these past few years have been a bit busy.

I wrote my very first fanfiction when I was bout 12. It was a Ginga Densetsu Weed ripoff that I wrote on some forum. You know, a fanfic that's pretty much the anime, but with some added scenes and other characters. SPOILER ALERT: It fucking sucked. (But now that I think about it, that whole anime was kinda silly in hindsight. I really don't know why I liked it so much...) After that, I started writing a Hamtaro fanfic, but it sucked as well, so I gave up on that one.

I put the fanfiction aside for a few years until I got an idea for a Touhou fanfic. It was actually the first one on fanfiction.net that focused on the Aki sisters, called Forgotten Goddess: A Gensokyo Painted In Flame Red. Don't look it up, it was a stupid one-shot with a pretentious title that I thought would look similar to how ZUN names his Touhou songs. After that, I started on a NitoMomi shipping fanfic called The Kappa And The Wolf and a Reisen fanfic called I Can Only Take So Much!. The last one contains OCs, which I know the Internet hates with the passion of a thousand suns, but I tried to make them as un-Mary Sue-ish as I could, at least, by having them suck at danmaku and generally be clods. They're not abandoned, just on indefinite hiatus...

One that has been in the works for years is an alternate re-telling of Daughter Of The Snow (Or whatever that old fairy tale is called) with Cirno as the main character and a general Touhou twist.

Why do I write? It's fun. I can see why fanfiction has a bit of a bad rumor, but I don't understand why people are willing to dismiss all of it as garbage. Like, of course some of it is gonna suck; Most of the writers are young, and Rome wasn't built in a day. Besides, a bad story is a bad story and a badly written character is a badly written character- They're not somehow worse just because they're fanfiction and OCs.

Feedback is the key. Feedback, feedback, feedback. And remember - you can give feedback without being an asshole about it. If there's one thing I dislike, it's mean-spirited "advice", because it only serves to discourage aspiring writers and reminds me of a friend who would constantly berate me and then claim she was just being honest. Don't just say a story sucks, explain why you think it's bad and give some pointers. Sure, some of the writers or even a lot of them might be ungrateful for the advice, but they might start thinking about it at some point.

Man, I went off on a bit of a tangent. I should probably start writing again...

FoxKitsune

Jun 23, 2012
I used to write fanfiction, though I was never great at finishing them! Maybe a year or three ago I started writing my own material,and self-published to amazon a while after.

It's always great to see threads like this, since its crazy how often I see threads putting down fanfiction and its writers. I still read some here and there, and I'm currently fighting myself NOT to write a GoT/WoW piece that I've had on my mind for a while in lieu of getting on with my own stuff xD

Kuma_Nur

Jun 24, 2011
For me my passion was FF7 fanfics, I haven't written anything in a looong time but this is a link to what I did write in the early 2000's

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6677/Lotuss-Tears

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
I wrote a lot of REALLY shitty fanfic when I was about 12. Mostly self-insert toilet humour crap. Then I took a break for about eight years, and I'm just now on the fifth chapter of a Dark Souls fic, the first fic attempt I've made in years, that may well end up being the first one ever to have an actual conclusion (literally all of the others I wrote completely as I went along with no planning whatsoever). The old ones are very much old shames, but I keep them on fanfiction.net to remind me of my past failure.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Well, I suppose I'll throw my own in if everyone else will. I've written some as well, still working on it actually.
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7951905/1/Daredevils-A-Dawn-of-War-Collection

It's a Dawn of War 2 fanfic set during the ten year war between Chaos Rising and Retribution. Marines at the minimum, it's an all guard story.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I have written fanfiction, though none of it is available on the net outside of some private Google Docs folders.
The one time I did upload some to a public place, it was decently received. I then unlisted it and put it back in the private folders of shame before uploading chapter 2.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
I've tried it before, more like a fanfic of a fanfic. I wrote up a chapter but never carried it on, I'd probably re-write it totally if I gave it another attempt.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
I don't, but I always wanted to get into it. I've always held back because I start something and then never finish, and having been a fan of something that ends up never getting finished, it's something I try to avoid. If I ever manage to write a fic in it's entirety, then I'll probably post it. But that hasn't happened yet.

I do read a lot of fanfic, typically Dragon Age stuff. And it is so, so hard, because there are a lot of writers who make some truly stupid, amateurish mistakes. I know, I know, they won't get better if they never try - but god damn. Like, for instance, there's this one DA fanfic writer (Not naming names, but she does a lot of shipping stuff) that I cannot stand. Everything about her, her take on canon, her OCs, everything drives me up the wall. But everyone loves her. For the longest time it baffled me... and then I saw her competition. And I realized the reason people flock to her is because she's one of the few decent writers running around. I mean, her approach drives me crazy, but at least she observes basic grammar rules and story structure. Though I'm still quite upset that I can't go anywhere in the community without tripping over someone singing her praises.

It's just so frustrating because, not to sound terribly arrogant, but I know I can do better than about 80% of what's out there. I'm just too lazy and unmotivated to get it done. *Sigh* Sucks, man.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
I do from time to time. I've been (very slowly) writing a not-really-Halo fanfic for the past two years or so. It has one fairly intense fanboy who messages me about his shipping of my characters. It's an original universe and characters, with some elements from the Halo multiplayer. I'm not a big fan of derivative works (I write original Sci-fi as well) but I thought it would be a good way to get some more reads since Fanfiction gets far more traffic than my DA page.
I've not uploaded most of it though, since the feedback often makes me want to cry. My first- admittedly godawful- story received one review. 'This is the shittiest story I've ever read.' Fortunately the aforementioned slightly crazy fan has kept me writing and uploading the current one.
Edit 2: Here's the link, since everyone else has been linking theirs: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9237920/1/Outside-Context-Problem

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Yes... though I haven't put any up in years due to my paranoia about being seen as a "bad writer" (plus a but of a lazy streak). Though I still have a few ideas rolling around in my head, so maybe I'll post them when I get around to writing...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I-

Soviet Heavy said:
Apart from Erttheking of course.
...I'm doing it anyway! Writing a pretty big Mass Effect/Fallout crossover that's still in progress. Called From the Ashes and I've been working on it for the last three years.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Sure I did. It was part of a forum game and I was slightly pissed on Swedish alcohol at the time, as I recall. My knowledge of anime has not improved.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/362.840934.20989019

Enjoy, or not.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Sometimes, for the exorcise. It's great fun, and feels like a very safe way to get some writing for the day done.

I haven't published any of it on any fan fiction site, though. Whenever I try, I worry if it's worth two shits or not. And I just can't shake the feeling that it's cheating, in a way. Ought to stop blubbering and get something posted sometime, so I can get an idea of how good it is, though.

I did write some very, very substandard fanfic when I was much younger, though. Luckily, it didn't get enough attention to be preserved, and it seems to be entirely gone now. Sometimes, you can take something away from the internet again, but I wish I had thought of the possibility that it'd remain there forever when I first posted it.

I bless whatever kind providence that ensured my worthless webcomic idea never materialised.