Anyone write Fanfiction?

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Um.

I did quite a bit in my earlier years, but honestly haven't written much of anything in the past few. I've kinda drifted into failed attempts at art.

But a recentish thing would be these two:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9496309/1/Nightmare-Bear
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9496316/1/Cold-Forged

I am in fucking dire need of an editor. Also, I'm super fantastically overly verbose. Waaaaaay overly verbose.

God, this is awful to read with fresh eyes.

[small]Side Note - I...I haven't logged into fanfiction.net for soooooooooooooooooo loooooooooooong.[/small]

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
I have a number of minor projects going, mostly as distractions from my epic (and quite possibly doomed) ambition of producing a complete parodic rewrite of Final Fantasy IX.

Right. Just in case this is my only chance to ever upload any of it anywhere, here's a small sample - concerning the scene in which main man Zidane meets up with emotionally wounded warrior Freya.

Tending the bar of the Doom Pub was Bobo himself, owner and proprietor. A retired actor, Bobo still adhered to that profession's traditional belief that good wishes bring bad luck. Accordingly, he had picked a name for his pub which, to him, seemed a sure-fire prosperity magnet. Zidane decided to humor the man by ordering the 'stupid special', but Bobo just scowled at him. After the obligatory attempt to chat up the waitress, Zidane took a seat at the bar. The seat next to him was occupied by a woman from Burmecia, the nation of humanoid rats. Strapped to her back was an impressive-looking lance, the signature weapon of Burmecia's legendary elite warriors - the mighty dragon knights. She was staring somberly into her drink, paying little attention to her surroundings. After a moment, Zidane realized that he knew her.

"Hey, FREYA! How've ya been?" Zidane slapped her energetically on the back, spilling most of her drink. With a low hiss, the fluid started stripping the varnish off the counter. Freya turned slowly towards him.

"...So-so." she muttered.

"Same here." Zidane replied enthusiastically. "Say, did you ever find him?"

"Find who?"

"You know, that guy you were lookin' for."

"What guy?" Freya looked slightly confused.

"Come on," Zidane persisted, "That boyfriend of yours. The one who went missing."

Freya's expression darkened. "I have NO idea who you're talking about."

"Weren't you, like, engaged or something? Madly in love? And then he left and never came back? Leaving you completely devastated? You've been trying to find him for... gotta be four years now? Five?"

"Shut UP, you monkey-tailed freak." Freya focused her attention on what remained of her drink.

"Wait, I got this. What was his name again? Philip? No... Francis..."

"Zidane, I'm warning you-"

"Frederick! No... Ah!" He snapped his fingers. "Got it!"

Freya leaned closer to her near-empty cup and clenched her eyes shut. "Zidane..."

"Fratley!"

Freya sat bolt upright, eyes wide and lips trembling. She remained frozen in this position for a few moments, her eyes slowly filling up with tears until a single teardrop trickled down her cheek.

"Yeah, that's it! Sir Fratley! Did you find him yet?" Zidane persisted.

Freya responded by screaming like a banshee and throwing both arms around him, trapping him in a vice-like grip and burying her face in his chest. She held him like this for some time, her loud sobbing muffled by his shirt. Her tears quickly seeped through to his skin. He carefully glanced around the room to see if he was getting any strange looks. Nobody seemed to care.

"I'll put that down as a 'no', then." he said eventually.

Freya looked up at him, her face a mask of bottomless sorrow, its fur streaked with tears. "I've looked EVERYWHERE!" she wailed, at the top of her lungs. "All over the Mist continent! SIX TIMES!" (Sob.) "Twice around the world... And NO SIGN OF HI-HI-HIM!"

"Gee, Freya, I'm sorry to hear that..." Zidane tried to wriggle himself loose. Freya renewed her grip. And took a deep breath.

"THE WHOLE WORLD IS MY PERSONAL HELL!" The windows rattled. "I've been lost in endless deserts... Shipwrecked on barren shores... Chewed on by legions of terrible monsters..." She let go of Zidane to try and blow her nose in his vest. He made for the door, but she grabbed him by the arm.

"I got robbed in Treno... Lost every gil... I had to sleep on the street... I couldn't afford food... Had to eat roots... Berries... (Sob.) Mandragoras..."

Zidane yanked his arm from her grasp and ran for it. Freya followed him outside.

"Did you know that there's a certain type of Mandragora that... That..." (Sob.) "...Gives you ballistic diarrhea?"

Zidane turned around for a moment. "WHAT?"

"Well - (Sob.) - There IS!" she assured him.

Zidane's expression changed from disbelief to outright shock. He backed away from her, then started running down the street, hands on ears, yelling "LALALALALA!" Freya gave chase, leaving a faint but visible trail of tears on the cobblestones.

"And it's COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE to tell it apart from the other kind!"

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Used to. Should get back to it sooner rather than later. Mostly Mass Effect stuff. Favorite pairing was always Ashley/Kaidan. The wild card, eh?!

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Yeah I've written a few. One complete one shot and two incomplete stories that I constantly have trouble getting back to due to crippling procrastination.

My one complete story is a Borderlands 2 one-shot giving a little bit of backstory to the character Michael Mamaril. I haven't gotten much feed back on it but what I did get was fairly positive. Here's the link:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10619414/1/Tribute-to-a-Vault-Hunter

My other two stories are a pure Fallout 3 fic about the Lone Wanderer leaving Vault 101 with Amata in tow ( I really did like her in the game and it's a shame there wasn't more to do with her). They meet my Regulator OC not long after and so begins their adventures. Link:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5442154/1/The-DC-Defenders

And finally my most popular fic, despite me not having updated it in two years. A Naruto and Mass Effect crossover. I don't think I can put any more without either spoiling something or stating the obvious so I'll let anyone who's interested just see for themselves. Link:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6804369/1/Return-of-the-Fallen

And that's about all I have in the ways of things I have written. I have other plot bunnies that have cropped up over the years but I haven't acted on them. When I do though I'll probably just put them up as one chapter challenges since most of them I don't think I could do all that well.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Nothing I'll admit to.

I never publish anything, because most of the time I lose interest in it. And if I lose interest in an unfinished thing, there's no way someone else can keep their interest in it. Plus my interests change as new stuff comes out, and I haven't read many books in years excluding Game of Thrones, and there's no way I'm touching that content. My writing style shifts depending on what authors I'm reading. Usually it's the sort of long-winded-without-saying-anything-helpful Dickens style, but now I've sort of moved onto Chauncer's mode of writing seemingly useless bits of details of a person or place that hint at some flaw, but of course they're so useless of descriptions that it's fairly easy to skip over any hidden meaning.

I don't know why I like the prologue to Chauncer's The Canterbury Commons so much. He introduces over thirty people in nothing but a paragraph each, but in my opinion he does more work establishing a person in a paragraph than other authors can hope to in the entire span of their books.

Also I absolutely detest romance in stories, and I figure people get 'turned off' by the lacky of lovey-lovey stuff, since weird pairings is where a lot of people get their kick off of fanfics. I don't know. I don't really mind that nothing of mine is published online, since I'll have no regrets when I realize something is garbage.

Trooper924

Oct 20, 2011
Some, mostly part of a MLP/Green Lantern crossover a bunch of other writers have been doing on deviantart (Lanterns of Equestria: Blackest Night" if you're curious),but I haven't done much recently. Usually start writing a story then over time lose interest and end up abandoning it.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
I once wrote a short fanfiction, though it was quit a bit different from many any other fanfic I have ever read. Admittedly, I read very few of them, though. Honestly, on a theoretical level, I would love to support fan fiction. Think about this: literary arts education funding is being cut drastically all around America, and it is difficult for young writers to find outlets for their craft. Fan Fiction could -ideally- serve as a safe place for young people to find their footing as artists, surrounded by other people who share the same passion as them.

However, this is not the case with most of the fan fiction I have read. We have all heard the stories of some spectacularly bad works of fanfiction, and I am sure that there is so need for me to repeat them here, but one thing remains true, generally: fan works are often terribly self-indulgent and inept. That is, they are often written to please the author's most base and crass fantasies, and not as homages to the themes, ideas, and artistry of the original works. Certainly, matching the sheer craft of one of your favorite works is difficult, and no one should feel bad for not living up to those ridiculously high standards, but some standards must be kept, if only for the sake of not wasting the audience's time.

The fan fiction I wrote did not have an action sequence, nor did it have a sex scene. In a sense, I did write it to fulfill my own fantasies, but those were not so obvious or prurient. I wanted to bring some older characters back, and allow them to have a conversation with my own original character, just so I could grasp how their arc as characters informed them, and how they would choose to communicate what they had learned in the original work to my character. I realize that this may be seen as something of a conservative approach to fan fiction, but I think one that -by extension- shows my objections to many works.

On the other hand, someone else did write a Goku and Anne Frank fan fiction. . . which on one hand is idiotic, and the other, possibly brilliant:

http://www.fightbait.com/time-anne-frank-goku-fanfic/

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I write MLP FanFiction! I've never written anything else for FanFiction before, but I love to write, and when I found out that there was a whole website devoted solely to MLP stories, I had to jump on board. I have a decent following on the site now. If anyone wants to know who I am:

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/Zeck

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
I've just recently started to try my hand at writing, I started with a fanfic of Worm on spacebattles.com.

The community around there is especially high quality, so I'm easily in the worst quintile of writers there, but hey, there is my room for improvement.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I've worked on two separate Bleach fanfics that I'm hoping to develop further and maybe adapt to a manga someday.

The first one takes place 25 years after the final battle between Ichigo and Aizen. In this one, Ichigo's son begins to have a similar experience when he discovers his spiritual power and seeing spirits, but keeps it hidden from his parents instead of admitting it. He is then approached by Rukia's daughter and offers to train him, as there has been recent turmoil in Soul Society in the form of bloody sacrifices and preaching about "Aizen's Return."

Some other prominent characters include Ishida's daughter, a fully fledged Quincy, Ichigo's daughter, who has yet to discover her spiritual potential, and an older Chad, who serves as the bodyguard of Ichigo's son.

The second fanfic deals with a cast of completely original characters. It follows the adventures of 6 human friends who died in the 1920s and where "reaped"/saved by Shinigami and were sent to Soul Society. As many of them died with unfinished business, they band together in order to join the ranks of the shinigami in order to gain access to the real world. Through some findings left behind by Kisuke Urahara about "Hollowfication," they are all able to become respected shinigami in various parts of the Gotei 13.

This story takes place after Aizen's defect from Soul Society and before the emergence of the Arrancar. The 6 friends are soon deployed to a city south of Karakura Town due to a strange influx of Hollow appearances and disappearances. It is in this town that the 6 friends will come face-to-face with their unfinished business and inner demons. This fanfic also stars several cast members of the Bleach series, albeit in cameo roles.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
I've written bits of lore for LEGO Creations, and made some minor contributions to my sister's fanfics, but I've never written anything complete myself.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I once wrote a fanfiction titled called Naruto: Ultimate Test. One of my friends was once obsessed with Naruto fanfictions to what I considered to be a unhealthy level. I ended up writing a very trolly fanfiction about Naruto in the hopes that he would read it and be annoyed (I had way too much time on my hands, but the actual writing process was pretty fun and I also accomplished my goal).

It was a short story that eased the reader into a false sense of security by having him first beat up some random gang members in New York (because I know nothing about Naruto). He then takes a stroll through Central Park where a lobster suddenly attacks and kills him. The super lobster then goes on a rampage while gaining in size and power as he consumes.

There was even a love interest. At one point during the lobster's rampage, he sees the most beautiful golden retriever across the street from him. Unfortunately, the dog is entranced by him as well and attempts to run across the street and gets hit by a police car. Out of the car jumps the chief of police who opens fire on the lobster. The lobster's shell hasn't reached the point where it's hard enough to deflect bullets yet, so he's forced to flea for the ocean as the entire NYPD chases him. We swears revenge on the officer who killed his beloved and escapes into the sea.

Later, he returns after eating a large amount of the ocean. He is now Godzilla sized and destroys the city while also the offending officer from earlier (who was now the mayor) and throwing him in front of a car as some sort of weird comeuppance.

Anway, I'm pretty sure it's gone by now seeing as it was nothing more than flame bait with a much longer, sillier story attached to it. I recall the comments being less than kind towards me. Not my proudest moment, but I had fun. Plus, I was five years younger and dumber.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
I write Warhammer 40,000 Codexes based on Halo if that counts. Our very own [user]SckizoBoy[/user] is my assistant.

https://www.scribd.com/LordRadical

I've even been ripped off by 1d4chan! They credited me, and I've ripped them off too, so it's cool.

I've considered writing actual, you know, fictions but I just don't have the time yet. After I finish my Codexes, maybe. Thinking a huge X-COM/Strike Witches/Kantai Collection thing someday. Considering the stuff I've jotted down (names, mostly) it's going to be huge.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Yes, but not for a while. Just haven't had the time/drive, and for me the hardest part is always starting in a way that doesn't sound stupid. I will typically do one story per game/franchise, usually when I'm 'into' it the most. Hence why I never finished my Bleach one.

Like most my writing skills have increased over time, but at the moment the one I'm most proud of is probably my shortest one, written after I completed all of SMT IV's endings with only 5 chapters. Look up 'Our Fifth Son' on ff.net under the same username as this one if you're interested.

CaptainMidlands

Jul 6, 2010
I respect anyone who puts there work out for people to review as it takes guts to do but sadly Jelloapocalypse sums up my thoughts on 95% of fanfic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR7uaIFVFiM).

It's either bad Video Game horror or self insertion fantasy drama (the day i met the mutant ninja turtles etc)

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I did at one point. I also may revive one at some point but I've moved away from it for the most part in order to spend more time on my own creative endeavors. It's fun running around in someone else's universe but it's pure euphoria to make your own space that others enjoy. At this point it really serves as a writing exercise for me, I've only really had one float around in public. :p

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
Yep, almost none of it video game related though. However, I am considering writing a Darkest-Dungeon inspired piece of fiction (not fanfic).

I'm not posting it here. None of it is video games. Plus, reading it now (Especially one of my very first...which was a Light Yagami/L Lawliet fanfiction [Death Note] I now realize how far I've come as a writer and how far I have yet to go and it's just too damn much.)