APB: All Points Bulletin (and why isn't anyone talking about it)

Tekkawarrior

Aug 17, 2009
SenseOfTumour said:
Only thing putting me off at present is paying £30 to get the game and then a monthly fee...to find out if I'll enjoy it.

A free 14 demo, like WOW offers, even with the crazy limitations that WOW has in place, would be better than nothing, and it means people can see how it runs, and if it'll be their kind of thing.

Who knows, maybe more people will buy it without knowing, than actively wont buy it without knowing, but I still think demos are the way to sell a game IF you have any confidence in your product.

If however you're trying to just bundle as much shoddy product out as possible before the reviews get out in public, then stop people reviewing it and don't release a demo version.

(My own fault for not getting into the beta too, I guess, but I still think a demo would be a good idea, and I really want this to be good, but... the review embargo and the lack of demo concern me.)
I agree with the demo part, people should have at least a few of hours of playing to see if they would like it, because god knows I'm not blindly going to pay 50 euros for it.
I fear that not many people will buy it, making it a GTA knock off.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I only saw some gameplay and customization videos. I like it. I enjoy free roam and customization so I'll probably get it. When you buy it you get 50 hours free and unlimited time in customization center thingy. And it's not even that expensive if you wanna continue playing after those 50h (which I doubt. 50 hours is a very long time). It's like $10 for a 30 day pass. I don't know about you but that doesn't seem like a lot to me.

Tourette

Dec 19, 2009
I played beta and I really wanted to like it but I just couldn't no matter how hard i tried.
The main failure is the clunkiness of the controls and how everything feels like hard work. The PvP sucked also and wasn't at all balanced.

ShotgunSmoke

Apr 19, 2009
I'll pre-order it today. I loved the beta, it was addictive and I'm a customization whore so this is a must-buy for me.

Life_Is_A_Mess

Sep 10, 2009
I don't know why, but I think this game says "GTA" in giant, highlighted letters, that can be seen from space.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I've pre ordered APB. All it has to do is last me until Starcraft 2, then I'm good until Guild Wars 2. And then I'm good until I'm dead.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Mr Thin said:
Tekkawarrior said:
think of it like Red Dead Redemption but in an urban setting
One wonders why you didn't just say GTA4.

It looks good, but then, they all do. Plus with shooters you need a low ping, and I live in Australia, which basically rules that out.
lol same here, I'm in Melbourne, Australia and it can be a real ***** finding a steady ping in some shooters, otherwise I'd be right onboard since I just luuuuuurrrrrve customization! XD

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Meh.

a) It is multiplayer dependant. That means I have to deal with an endless stream of otherwise normal people acting like jibbering retards.
b) It requires a subscription. I prefer one-off purchases.

But these are both irrelevant points because...

c) I live in Australia.

So there. Meh.

Tekkawarrior

Aug 17, 2009
Feel sorry for the aussies, you guys are getting the shitty end of the stick when it comes to ping.

ShotgunSmoke said:
*snip* I'm a customization whore *snip*
Hear hear!

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
If we don't talk about it maybe it'll go away. I really want to stop good ideas being turned into subscription MMOs

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Same as a fair few here. I was pretty interested in it, then found out they arn't releasing it in Australia due to the low ping issue.

Shame, it looked good to me.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
captaincabbage said:
Mr Thin said:
Tekkawarrior said:
think of it like Red Dead Redemption but in an urban setting
One wonders why you didn't just say GTA4.

It looks good, but then, they all do. Plus with shooters you need a low ping, and I live in Australia, which basically rules that out.
lol same here, I'm in Melbourne, Australia and it can be a real ***** finding a steady ping in some shooters, otherwise I'd be right onboard since I just luuuuuurrrrrve customization! XD
I'm afraid that living in Australia rules you out for reasons other than a standardly bad ping. APB isn't actually getting an Australian release, so you'll need to import a copy and play with a proxy, which will add another layer of latency to your latency cake.

On the bright side, for once it's not the fault of your fascist censorship bodies.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
weapons are not balanced.

missions are the same old same old over and over.

there is not much variety period in anything, gta4 lest i could jack a helo or do some crazy stunts, catch the train have a whole open city to mess around in. this you get relatively small districts which only seem somewhat big because your car is a piece of crap, and handles even worse with a keyboard. YOu get offered missions that half the time are on the complete opposite side of the district your in and no way you will get there before the thing is over.

the custom gfx and stuff is the best part of it and the tools to do it were pretty nicely done, but its a fps your going to be shooting or getting shot at less you going to pay to sit around in the social district all day and pretend is second life minus all the stuff to to.

the sub model makes it a shade more attracitve since its what 7 bucks for 20 hours of play or something and 10 bucks for a full months play flat, do yourself a favor and go the cheapest option cause i hardly see this game being entertaining enough to justify a months play. maybe on occasions an hour or two at a time.

but aussies your not missing anything really.

SonOfIkaros

Oct 6, 2009
Well, they kinda lost me when it went pay-to-play. Originally they had intended that the game was to be free. You paid for it once, and bam, you could play as much as you wanted.

Now they've decided to go with the hourly-billing system, which is a great idea but it doesn't appeal to me anywhere as much as the free-to-play idea. So I might still pick it up, but the chances are definitely smaller than they would have been if the game had remained free-to-play.