Aperture Requests Funding for Portal 2 Long Fall Boot

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Aperture Requests Funding for Portal 2 Long Fall Boot

The origin of Chell's boots from Portal is explained in this Aperture Science video.

[video=3037]

After offering us Aperture Science investment opportunities for Portal 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/2949-Portal-2-Panels] fan should be familiar with: the Long Fall Boot. If you're going to be making your way through test chambers, it's a must have.

Managing velocity while having two "quantum space holes" at your disposal isn't the easiest task, but this "foot-based suit of armor" makes it so you don't have to worry about such things. You may have been wondering what main character Chell was wearing on her legs in Portal [http://www.amazon.com/Orange-Box-Pc/dp/B000PS2XES], and now you know.

The boots are "expensive as hell," but as part of the equipment necessary to stop a sentient AI from taking over the world, or whatever GLaDOS had/has planned, they're a worthy investment. The video also gives us a look at Chell when she was just an Aperture Science test subject, and she pretty much kicked ass back then too.

Chell, and her boots, will return on April 19 when Portal 2 is released for the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC. In the meantime, you might want to follow the content [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109153-Portal-2-ARG-Unleashes-Flood-of-Concept-Art] coming out of the Portal 2 ARG.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
The video also gives us a look at Chell when she was just an Aperture Science test subject, and she pretty much kicked ass back then too.
Actually, this is what she looks like in Portal 2, since A) her jumpsuit is half open and B) she doesn't wear boots in Portal, just the springs.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Can I shake my Borderlands addiction in time for Portal 2?

I mean, I'm addicted to punching/shutgunning things in the face as Brick.

I'm getting the PS3 version, to see how they magically pull off Steamworks.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Damn you Valve and your amusing trailers that wants me to get the game even more...

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Note: the sudden absence of a steady whirring sound may indicate a Miniature Black Hole Cooling Fan Battery failure. Quickly disassemble the Ring Singularity Harness, pry apart the upper and lower Ring Singularity Rings, and gently remove the Event Horizon Estimation Wheel. Then, while running directly away from the device, use the Wheel to precisely determine an estimated minimum safe stopping distance.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I really much applaud Valve's new animation department. I don't know if it's the inclusion of ex-Pixar and ex-WETA workshop employees or just slightly higher budgets, but the quality of their animated shorts has grown drastically since the days of the "Meet the..." videos.

Just one week left. Can't wait.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
HankMan said:
Glad to see Aperture when straight to the sole of the problem.
YEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!

So glad Valve decided to make their own trailers, these have been genius. Shame it's the last one before Portal 2 (I think).

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
The fact that Portal 2 is being released soon makes me sad because this ad campaign will be at its end :(

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Speakercone said:
you know, I always wondered how I could fall 50 stories and be fine. now I know.
Canonical explanation is up there.

Real reason is that fall damage is for real life wimps who remember that legs can break if you fall more than 5 meters while making a game.

Anyway, this is my second favorite advert after Bot Trust.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
the last bit looks amazing. just like everything Valve makes

Apr 28, 2008
I love these adverts. So delightful and charming.

HankMan said:
Glad to see Aperture when straight to the sole of the problem.
http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=crickets

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
The "we're between banks" made me laugh. Though, to be honest, the whole trailer (or whatever you call it) was cool and funny.
I really want to play it... so very bad.
And I truly hope that it'll live up to the hype, or at least just be amazingly amazing.
Valve, don't disappoint me, please~!