Apocalyptic Western Dark Tower Gunslings to TV, Movies

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
dradiscontact said:
Cliff_m85 said:
dradiscontact said:
This means I'm going to need to actually finish the books I guess.
Don't. It's only going to depress you. It's really really bad, especially the last book.
When Stephen King made himself a character in the book I should've known he jumped the shark.
I might still like it. I've always liked Stephen King's work. I only made it to the end of the third Dark Tower book before I got distracted by something else (probably some video game), but I remember liking it up to that point.
I was a giant fan of his. Loved the books 1-4. 5-6 were a choir to read. The last books were utter shit. Especially the ending. It's actually worse in the shititude scale to the ending of "Black House".

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Ponch said:
DarthLurtz said:
Can't wait. Also, the end of the books was not good for a reason. It showed the there was an endless cycle for Roland, with only a small hope of his quest ever changing for the better.
Yes! Someone else understands! I thought the ending was brilliant. Makes you wonder how things had played out before we got pulled into this pass through .
Yeah I thought that too.

"Sorry Roland... you... er, forgot your hat, yeah that's right! Back to the start!"
Sorry Roland, your princess is in another castle.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Really glad to finally see this although I have mixed feelings, The first 3 books and the 5th were the strongest out of the series, 2 and 3 being my favoutire, can you get any more crazy than
blane the crazy suicidal train? :)

Not sure how they would do Jake though, he was my favourite character and I' am worried the actor would age to much between shooting, The books take part over a short period of time, although in the books Jake does mature a lot so I really don't know.

For fans of SK - The Dome is going to be made into a HBO series as well :)

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Ponch said:
DarthLurtz said:
Can't wait. Also, the end of the books was not good for a reason. It showed the there was an endless cycle for Roland, with only a small hope of his quest ever changing for the better.
Yes! Someone else understands! I thought the ending was brilliant. Makes you wonder how things had played out before we got pulled into this pass through .
Yeah I thought that too.

"Sorry Roland... you... er, forgot your hat, yeah that's right! Back to the start!"
when i was nearly at the end of the "tower" i sooo hoped that it will end exactly like it did. Because i never wanted it to be over ;) i really love this story

Nov 25, 2009
Cliff_m85 said:
dradiscontact said:
Cliff_m85 said:
dradiscontact said:
Don't. It's only going to depress you. It's really really bad, especially the last book.
When Stephen King made himself a character in the book I should've known he jumped the shark.
I might still like it. I've always liked Stephen King's work. I only made it to the end of the third Dark Tower book before I got distracted by something else (probably some video game), but I remember liking it up to that point.
I was a giant fan of his. Loved the books 1-4. 5-6 were a choir to read. The last books were utter shit. Especially the ending. It's actually worse in the shititude scale to the ending of "Black House".
Really? I liked the endings of both, the ending of the dark tower just worked perfectly for me, the end of Black House seemed kind of weak to me but I enjoyed it.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Forever of the Stars said:
Cliff_m85 said:
dradiscontact said:
Cliff_m85 said:
dradiscontact said:
I loved 1-3 and 5, 4 was good but after the ending of 3 I don't think the flashbacks worked, I disagree on 5 though, Wolves of the Calla was a great book, the character development was very good.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Kins books never have great endings though, he even admits it in 7, "stop reading now if you don't want to be disapointed" What he is great at is character development and taking you on a great journey, Thats what I got from The Dark tower books anyway, the journey was the best part, While some of the books didn't live up to the standards i.e. 4,6 and 7 the rest were great, The drawing of the three is epic and addictive, The Waste lands probably 2nd best.

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
Potentially good things can come of this.

But since it's Hollywood... Potentially worse things can come of this.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I loved this series; the whole thing was just epic, for want of a better word. The fourth was possibly my favourite. I saw this coming ages ago, but I doubt a TV series would really capture the scope and scale of the books. The same goes for anything less than a series of films.

I've not heard of the guy working on the adaptation though, so I'm not sure what to expect...

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Kingsman said:
Potentially good things can come of this.

But since it's Hollywood... Potentially worse things can come of this.
I know what you mean, Getting people who have not read the books to understand what is happening is going to be well hard,

Think about it, different locations in time, Roland using the doors and being inside peoples heads how do you convey that in film?

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Ponch said:
DarthLurtz said:
Yeah I thought that too.

My personal take: He has to keep going through the cycle until everything that was important survives, showcased by the once lost and broken horn.

On a side note, yeah, I think the last few books were not as good as the earlier stuff, but I blame that on his car wreck- he was probably in a rush to complete the series before he died (as he almost did).

Finally: God, I hope they don't screw this up.

7ru7h

Jul 8, 2009
Cliff_m85 said:
dradiscontact said:
As long as you don't read to the very end (the part where he basically tells you to stop), the ending isn't that bad. Its just when you read the 'true' ending that it blows goats

Kingsman

Feb 5, 2009
After looking at the various projects and films the director and producer have both worked on...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akiva_Goldsman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Howard
I can safely say that this movie, if it is truly going to try cramming all seven books into one sitting, is going to be mediocre at best. There's a fair chance it will not do that well, actually. This has the stench of a sell-out all over it. And given that King's novels have a notoriously bad habit of sucking when being transposed onto the big screen...

Yeah, I'm betting money that this will suck balls. No one's going to give it the respect it deserves, not this late after publication.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Forever of the Stars said:
Cliff_m85 said:
dradiscontact said:
Cliff_m85 said:
dradiscontact said:
Really? I liked the endings of both, the ending of the dark tower just worked perfectly for me, the end of Black House seemed kind of weak to me but I enjoyed it.
You mean you enjoyed the main character tracking down the evil villian, finally finding him, and just immediately shooting him and killing him with no epic showdown? *shrugs* Different strokes.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
7ru7h said:
Cliff_m85 said:
dradiscontact said:
As long as you don't read to the very end (the part where he basically tells you to stop), the ending isn't that bad. Its just when you read the 'true' ending that it blows goats
Yeah, what load of crap was that? Any writer KNOWS that if you just put up with 2000 pages of text and there are only 5 left you aren't going to stop. You get curious. It's like the ability to censor the game "Brutal Legend"...just ain't gonna happen, dude.

It never works, really. For instance. Just last night I was with an attractive woman and after a few drinks she undressed and performed ..... stop reading now dear reader if you are weak at heart...

insulin injections on a puppy.

Simski Burkez

Jun 3, 2009
There's an eighth book on the way?

Glad to see that an adaptation's on the way... just hope it lives up to the expectations of those of us that have read the books.
Always wanted to see a live-action version of the shootout at Balazaar's, and when they're going beneath the city of Lud - that should look, well... just epic!
Also, I've no idea who could potray Roland... always imagined Clint Eastwood as the only person who'd be right for the role, but that time has passed.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I agree that the first four books were very good and that the last three were, well.. forgetable. I do have to ask since alot of people here seem opposed to the ending what was so awful about it (I suppose this is a topic for another thread though). I'm referring to the final page of the seventh book. What happens to Roland at that point. I think it was a fitting end truth be told. (yes, i'm aware that Stephan King asked the reader not to go beyond a certain point. I kind of wish I hadn't sometimes too. I can't help myself, i'm overly curious.)

If the movie is going to be good it should just focus on the first few books and spread them out across at least three films.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I can see a TV series working. A movie though? Not so much, as it would massacre the books harder than the Harry Potter flicks did to their own franchise.

rainman2203

Oct 22, 2008
It will be interesting and potentially awesome if this goes through. Loved the series (mixed feelings on the end and the meta-fiction elements) and would love to see it on TV or in theaters. As others have said, I need a new show to watch once LOST finishes and leaves a gaping hole in my soul.

God I hope this doesn't suck. It would make me sad, and possibly consider changing my avatar finally.