Apparently The Last of Us is getting an HBO series

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Hawki said:
Casual Shinji said:
OT: I'm guessing this is coming from two places. Sony probably saw how The Witcher Netflix series boosted the game sales like fucking crazy, and HBO maybe wanting their own Walking Dead show.
What's funny is that Netflix seems to want its own Walking Dead show with the Resident Evil TV series.

Either way I'm not too hopefull. The more realistic looking and storydriven a game tends to be the less well it'll usually translate to screen. I mean, people seem to be way more positive about the recent Pokemon and Sonic movies then they were about Silent Hill and Prince of Persia.
Not sure if I'd call Sands of Time "story driven." But yes, you're right. Looking at RT, only three VG movies have "fresh" rankings (Angry Birds 2, Sonic the Hedgehog, Detective Pikachu), and none of them are really series known for their stories.
RE has its own Netflix series? That?s something I might watch, if it?s anywhere near as good as The Witcher.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yoshi178 said:
Mario movie just needs to be as decent of a Movie as Detective Pikachu and Sonic the Hedgehog were to avoid it being a complete train wreck.
Is it too much to ask that a movie be "good" rather than "decent?"

hanselthecaretaker said:
Well, there?s this [https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-last-of-us-tv-show-writer-confirms-he-wont-cha/1100-6474477/] I guess.
Reads article...

Jesus Christ, is this still a thing?

hanselthecaretaker said:
RE has its own Netflix series?
https://residentevil.fandom.com/wiki/Resident_Evil_(TV_series)

I'll believe it when (or if) I see it though.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Hawki said:
Yoshi178 said:
Mario movie just needs to be as decent of a Movie as Detective Pikachu and Sonic the Hedgehog were to avoid it being a complete train wreck.
considering the history of videogame movies we've had over the past few decades, yes.

besides. Mario and Sonic the hedgehog were already aimed at a young audience so they were never going to be "good" movies per say. And Mario never really had a deep story to begin with. there's only so much story you can get from "mario saves peach from Bowser"

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yoshi178 said:
They managed it with Tomb Raider. There's nothing to stop them from breaking the mould even further.

besides. Mario and Sonic the hedgehog were already aimed at a young audience so they were never going to be "good" movies per say.
There's plenty of children's movies that are outright good - Pixar, Disney, Studio Gibli, DreamWorks (in some cases), etc. The argument "it's for kids" doesn't absolve a film from a lack of quality.

And Mario never really had a deep story to begin with. there's only so much story you can get from "mario saves peach from Bowser"
True, but as already discussed in the thread, I'm beginning to wonder if that's an issue.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/video-game-movies-ranked-worst-to-best/

Notably, the three VG movies that have managed "fresh" scores aren't story-heavy franchises, and while Sonic is probably the most story-centric of those three, the film didn't adapt an actual plot from the games. Closest it came to adapting anything was Sonic X, and even then, it was more "roadtrip movie with Sonic in it."

I mean, they technically made Mario cartoons, so I guess it's possible? On the other hand, this is Illumination we're talking about - I've a terrible feeling that Toads are going to be Minions.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Hawki said:
besides. Mario and Sonic the hedgehog were already aimed at a young audience so they were never going to be "good" movies per say.
There's plenty of children's movies that are outright good - Pixar, Disney, Studio Gibli, DreamWorks (in some cases), etc. The argument "it's for kids" doesn't absolve a film from a lack of quality.
Disney's been making movies for Decades. that's their specialty just like Nintendo's specialty is making games. not movies.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
Hawki said:
Disney's been making movies for Decades. that's their specialty just like Nintendo's specialty is making games. not movies.
Yeah, but it would be something if Nintendo partnered with Disney on a Mario or Zelda movie. Somewhere someone could spin a good yarn about either of those far past what the games ever have. If it can be done with Sonic, Pokemon, the upcoming Minecraft of all things, etc....

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yoshi178 said:
Except Nintendo isn't making the movie, Illumination is.

hanselthecaretaker said:
Yeah, but it would be something if Nintendo partnered with Disney on a Mario or Zelda movie. Somewhere someone could spin a good yarn about either of those far past what the games ever have.
"Either of those far past what the games ever have." Don't know what you're saying, but I do know that isn't proper English.

Also, Disney has no reason to partner with anyone - Disney would probably sooner buy Nintendo than partner with it.

If it can be done with Sonic, Pokemon, the upcoming Minecraft of all things, etc....
Minecraft will be Lego Movie 2.0.

Calling it.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
If any videogame company were to make a good videogame movie it would be Sony since they already make movies you know...

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Hawki said:
Yoshi178 said:
Except Nintendo isn't making the movie, Illumination is.

hanselthecaretaker said:
Yeah, but it would be something if Nintendo partnered with Disney on a Mario or Zelda movie. Somewhere someone could spin a good yarn about either of those far past what the games ever have.
"Either of those far past what the games ever have." Don't know what you're saying, but I do know that isn't proper English.

Also, Disney has no reason to partner with anyone - Disney would probably sooner buy Nintendo than partner with it.

If it can be done with Sonic, Pokemon, the upcoming Minecraft of all things, etc....
Minecraft will be Lego Movie 2.0.

Calling it.
Full sentence was: ?Somewhere someone could spin a good yarn [https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/top-10-tips-spinning-good-yarn-real-storyteller/1230166] about either of those far past what the games ever have.?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yoshi178 said:
If any videogame company were to make a good videogame movie it would be Sony since they already make movies you know...
They made the most critically acclaimed VG movie of all time...Angry Birds Movie 2.

Let that sink in for a bit.

Yoshi178 said:
illumination is making it under Miyamoto's close supervision
"Supervision" isn't the same as making it. Also, I've seen no statement as to how involved Nintendo as a group actually is. To mention the Sonic movie, just because Sega is listed in the pre-release credits, I can't really say that Sega "made" the film.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
Yoshi178 said:
They made the most critically acclaimed VG movie of all time...Angry Birds Movie 2.

Let that sink in for a bit.
Too bad the movie flopped in the states.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/box-office-report/the-angry-birds-movie-2-is-the-latest-animated-sequel-to-flop-at-the-box-office-178407.html

Yoshi178 said:
If that was a stealth insult against God of War 4, Last of Us, or Uncharted, you fail. You would have a point about the Order: 1886, any of Quantic Dream's games, or Until Dawn. Though at least Until Dawn has some fun in a "get friends together to decide the fate of these horror movie characters" way. If there is any company having a problem turning their games in to movies this generation, it's Microsoft. Especially early on when their main focus was sports, TV, and making Quantum Break in to this cross media, "TV format", that did not fucking work. Compromising what chould have been a way better game than the one released. Not mention, Sony's got plenty of exclusives that play like games, regardless if they're in charge of development or not. Letting the developers on their platform to mostly leave them to their own devices. I say this and I don't even care for LoUs. So please tell that wasn't stealth insult.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Marik2 said:
Are they going to shove sex and nudity for no reason? This is HBO we are talking about.

hanselthecaretaker said:
In other Sony game>movie crossover news, Mark Wahlberg is really amped [https://www.thewrap.com/mark-wahlberg-interview-uncharted-movie-tenfold-better-previous-versions/] about the latest (and hopefully final) version the Uncharted script. Tough seeing him as Sully, but maybe it?ll be alright.
I don't understand what is so difficult about making an Uncharted movie. It already is an action pop corn movie.
I thought Max Payne and Tomb Raider should make good movies, due to how action oriented they already are. And they were awful to not good(Unless the New non-Jolie TR movie ended up being better then I'd heard).

Metal Gear Solid is going to be something to see if/when it eventually releases. I just don't think it'll be something good.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
CoCage said:

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/box-office-report/the-angry-birds-movie-2-is-the-latest-animated-sequel-to-flop-at-the-box-office-178407.html
Ha ha! Burn! BURN!

...okay, that's not fair, but I saw the original and loathed it. Maybe the sequel's better though, I dunno.

Dalisclock said:
I thought Max Payne and Tomb Raider should make good movies, due to how action oriented they already are. And they were awful to not good(Unless the New non-Jolie TR movie ended up being better then I'd heard).
The Vikander movie is good. It is, IMO, the only genuinely good VG movie I've seen (that was theatrically released). At the least, it's leagues above the Jolie films.

Metal Gear Solid is going to be something to see if/when it eventually releases. I just don't think it'll be something good.
Oh yeah, that's a thing...

I can't see it ending well. Not without Kojima. Metal Gear manages to be both insane and deep, and it's a balance that only Kojima seems to have been able to pull off. Without him, well, what do you get apart from pure insanity (Metal Gear Rising) or pure drek (Metal Gear Survive)?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
CoCage said:

Ha ha! Burn! BURN!

...okay, that's not fair, but I saw the original and loathed it. Maybe the sequel's better though, I dunno.
Apparently yes, from the critic and non-critic folks.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Hawki said:
CoCage said:

Ha ha! Burn! BURN!

Dalisclock said:
The Vikander movie is good. It is, IMO, the only genuinely good VG movie I've seen (that was theatrically released). At the least, it's leagues above the Jolie films.

Oh yeah, that's a thing...

I can't see it ending well. Not without Kojima. Metal Gear manages to be both insane and deep, and it's a balance that only Kojima seems to have been able to pull off. Without him, well, what do you get apart from pure insanity (Metal Gear Rising) or pure drek (Metal Gear Survive)?

But most gamers still don?t understand Kojima?s games let alone care to try, even with all the wiki stuff out there, so how the hell are filmgoers going to fair when they?re turned into actual movies? Critics will shred him and his dreams of being a filmmaker will be thoroughly dashed. I sincerely hope that wouldn?t be the case, but the odds face differently.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Marik2 said:
Are they going to shove sex and nudity for no reason? This is HBO we are talking about.

hanselthecaretaker said:
In other Sony game>movie crossover news, Mark Wahlberg is really amped [https://www.thewrap.com/mark-wahlberg-interview-uncharted-movie-tenfold-better-previous-versions/] about the latest (and hopefully final) version the Uncharted script. Tough seeing him as Sully, but maybe it?ll be alright.
I don't understand what is so difficult about making an Uncharted movie. It already is an action pop corn movie.

I never understood what was so hard about adapting games that already borrow so much from movies. Tomb Raider is just female Indiana Jones. Just have a hot British chick shoot natives and find ancient cities. But apparently that is too difficult for Hollywood. The only semi decent movie game franchise is Resident Evil, but that only worked cuz they they did their own thing and made it into a high budget B movie franchise.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Despite Metal Gear pioneering the movie game wave, it is still more of a game than most western movie games. It constantly breaks the 4th wall, reminding you that you are playing a game, and it allows you to experiment with it. People are still finding gameplay secrets in each entry.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
hanselthecaretaker said:
But most gamers still don?t understand Kojima?s games let alone care to try, even with all the wiki stuff out there, so how the hell are filmgoers going to fair when they?re turned into actual movies?
By simplifying them?

You'd have to simplify them anyway to fit the average runtime.

Critics will shred him and his dreams of being a filmmaker will be thoroughly dashed. I sincerely hope that wouldn?t be the case, but the odds face differently.
There's no guarantee that Kojima will be involved. All we know is that he MIGHT be involved with the script.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if the movie even gets made.

Marik2 said:
I never understood what was so hard about adapting games that already borrow so much from movies. Tomb Raider is just female Indiana Jones. Just have a hot British chick shoot natives and find ancient cities. But apparently that is too difficult for Hollywood.
Except that's what the films did. First one had Lara chasing a mcGuffin that took her to, among other places, ruined cities in Cambodia and the Arctic. The second one had Lara in a ruined Greek temple, and had her chasing a mcGuffin that took her to China and Africa. Third one had her stranded on Yamatai, in Japanese ruins.

The Tomb Raider movies have their faults, even the Vikander one, but lack of loyalty to the source material isn't among them.

The only semi decent movie game franchise is Resident Evil, but that only worked cuz they they did their own thing and made it into a high budget B movie franchise.
Wait, so, first you're complaining about Tomb Raider not being loyal to the games, but then praising RE for doing its own thing?

Anyway, I do admit that I like the Anderson RE films (sans Retribution), even if they're kind of guilty pleasures, and guilty pleasures with steadily diminishing returns. That said, I'm kind of baffled that they lasted as long as they did.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
CoCage said:
Yoshi178 said:
If that was a stealth insult against God of War 4, Last of Us, or Uncharted, you fail.
except it wasn't a stealth insult. Sony literally makes movies. for example, every heard of a little franchise called Spiderman?

how about you stop being paranoid about every bloody thing i say? instead of assuming everything is say is an insult?