Apple Announces iPhone 5

JoshV

Mar 20, 2009
Apple Announces iPhone 5

The oft-rumored and long-awaited successor to the iPhone 4S will ship on September 21st.

It's almost an understatement to say that Apple's iPhone has been single-handedly responsible for popularizing mobile gaming over the past several years. And today, in a press conference in San Francisco, Apple's Phil Schiller debuted the next generation of the company's flagship product: the iPhone 5. The new phone is loaded with features that should excite consumers and tech aficionados alike. The iPhone 5 is thinner than its predecessors, and features a larger screen, higher resolution camera, and faster wireless networking.

More notably for gamers, the new phone is equipped with the A6 system-on-a-chip, which Apple purports will run twice as fast as the A5 chip installed on the iPhone 4S. Smartphones are already capable of some pretty impressive graphical feats, but if the new iPhone is as powerful as Apple claims, the iPhone 5 may be setting a whole new bar for graphical performance.

Some developers have already gotten their hands on the new tech, and EA's Rob Murray made an appearance during the conference to demo Real Racing 3. Interestingly, the demo featured a multiplayer race - but not a simultaneous one. "Time-shifted multiplayer" is what EA calls it, and it was asynchronous. "I can challenge Vince one day," Murray explained, "And he can race me the next." While this sounds a lot like racing a friend's ghost - a feature we've had for decades - Murray was actually able to interact with his not-quite-there opponent, knocking the other car around.

The iPhone 5 will be available for pre-orders on Friday the 14th, and pricing will be tiered by flash memory size: $199 for the 16GB model, $299 for 32GB, and $399 for 64GB. It ships on September 21st for the US, Canada, Germany, Britain, France, Japan, Hong Kong, and Singapore.

Source: Engadget.com [http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/apple-iphone-5-liveblog/]
Image: Venturebeat.com [http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/12/iphone-5-lets-you-do-ghost-racing-against-another-players-best-time/]

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
>.>
<.<
nope, still not seeing the big deal here

though, it is mildly amusing it bragging about having better graphical power like the consoles will when the PS4 and 720 start they're marketing non sence

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Some friends and I were looking at it today. It looks like a fairly good step up from the 4S and especially the 4. This might be the first time my initial reaction to an Apple product is positive. Still not buying one though, I just like Android OS better.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lunar Templar said:
though, it is mildly amusing it bragging about having better graphical power like the consoles will when the PS4 and 720 start they're marketing non sence
Yeah! How dare they market visual power that fits literally in the palm of your hand! Don't those noobs just carry around a desktop in their back pocket?

GAunderrated said:
I was hoping for more specs than just has A6 chip. Anyone got a link on the specs?
I don't think there are any real specs yet. This is their PR machine, though:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/

Basically, "bigger screen" and "things go fast."

That, combined with "it's shiny" should be enough for 90% of the Apple market.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Lunar Templar said:
Yeah! How dare they market visual power that fits literally in the palm of your hand! Don't those noobs just carry around a desktop in their back pocket?

GAunderrated said:
I was hoping for more specs than just has A6 chip. Anyone got a link on the specs?
I don't think there are any real specs yet. This is their PR machine, though:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/

Basically, "bigger screen" and "things go fast."

That, combined with "it's shiny" should be enough for 90% of the Apple market.
Thank you its just as I thought. It was a bunch of buzz words with no real meat. I'll wait till I get the specs and all the features before I consider a purchase.

th155

Mar 4, 2011
Why thinner? Why in the world would i want it to be thinner?

Have the same thickness as the iPhone4S or whatever, and fill up that extra space with a larger battery.

I don't know about your average consumer, but 50% more battery life sounds a lot better than "a tiny bit thinner"

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
when will Apple get back on its riddelin, and figure out how to put out a new product that has better price structure. Wait for it... I don't care that it's a tiny bit faster (the last time they promised faster we got the waist of money that is the 4S (barely noticeable speed increase, and the "new" Serry [or how every you spell that copyright grab])

here's something that will get even a lot of Android users to buy a IPhone "hey we got a new IPhone its the same size as the last one, and only cost $100", but then I would still have the dirty feeling of owning an apple product. Second thought I can just use the pricing structure as a means to be smug at them.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Apple announces yet another overpriced underpowered locked down pile of garbage a year after the last announcement of overpriced underpowered locked down piles of garbage. Meanwhile anyone who tries to do anything even remotely similar gets sued into oblivion while all the Apple fan boys claim that the competition are merely copies of superior products.

How exactly is this news instead of just a given year after year?

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Why do we need it thinner?
I'm scared I'll snap it between my thumb and forefinger.

Phoenix8541

No Regrets
Sep 10, 2012
in true apple form, I will wait until version 2 comes out three weeks later then buy that one, or get the old one for a few hundred cheeper lol

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
I think I will just stick with the 4S I won for free. Would never actually buy any apple product.

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
Curious how tonight was the first time in over a year that I have actually vomitted. Granted there was a sizeable quantity of alcohol involved, by nowhere near what I've consumed in the past. Perhaps I'm allergic to corporate bullshit.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Oirish_Martin said:
$200 in the US, but £530 in the UK?! Suck it, Apple.
The initial price for the phone is subsidized by the carrier in the U.S., and you have to sign a two year contract. We generally pay through the nose monthly in the U.S. for things like data, minutes, and unlimited text.

Yearly mobile phone costs are much more expensive in the U.S. compared to other markets.[footnote]http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/map-cellphonecosts/[/footnote]

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Wait.... $399? that's with a plan right.... because that seems stupidly low for an Apple product.