Apple Announces iPhone 5

verindae

May 22, 2010
JoshV said:
Apple Announces iPhone 5

It's almost an understatement to say that Apple's iPhone has been single-handedly responsible for popularizing mobile gaming over the past several years.
You've got to be fucking kidding right? That's possibly the single biggest slice of bullshit pie i've ever seen on this site :/

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
What's with all the Apple hate?!?

I mean did they shoot your dog or something.

Yeah sure I get you prefer Android but that hardly justifies this kind of hostility (for the record I own an iPhone 4S which I prefer over my old Android phone, and no I will not turn it in for the iPhone 5, unless it breaks which isn't likely within the next 6 years during which we'll probably be at iPhone 7).

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Buretsu said:
Hornet0404 said:
What's with all the Apple hate?!?
Apple's business strategy:
1) Take existing product
2) Add the letter 'i' before its name
3) Claim that it's now a new innovation
4) Charge an arm and a leg for it
5) Sue any possible competition over incredibly vague patents
6) ????
7) PROFIT
Well Apple just so happens to make a product that I like.

And if that means some other "more deserving" company loose a bit of income because I don't buy theirs so be it.

It's not about innovation for me. It's about having a product that I like with features that I want.

Business is cut-throat and if you can't perform then go die in a hole.

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
It's more like the iphone 4.5s. Improvements on all fronts but nothing game changing or even distinctive for that matter. And the iphone looks pretty dated when compared to the galaxy S3 & other Nokia phones

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Buretsu said:
Well then call me a corporate whore (although I'd say that I disqualify because I'd readily "walk away" on Apple if someone else made a better product).

EDIT: By the way, I prefer the label cynic if you don't mind ;)

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
I'm not saying anything until I see clock speeds. Remember that the Tegra 3 and the Qualcomm Snapdragon series exist. Saying 'it runs twice as fast' is all well and good when talking to idiots, but I want to see actual performance from a real device, not something on a screen, and I want to see the numbers that prove it.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
I look at the iPhone 5 like I look at the PS Vita. Yeah it's a nice little machine but I really don't need one. Not really interested in playing super games on my phone anyway Angry Birds is enough.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I was interested in the announcement. I don't have plans to get the new iPhone (maybe I'll upgrade next year when my contract runs out), but I am interested in iOS6 which has a couple of cool features that I'd like, and it's out next week!

The revamped iTunes next month is also good news as long as they can make it faster and less buggy on Windows PCs.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I have to say, this news was not impressive. I don't care for Apple stuff, just to be clear, I hate paying a whole lot for name. But the specs for this thing are so incredibly meh, I was expecting to be at least a little bit jealous. The camera is unimpressive at this point as my phone has all the same capabilities and it's over a year old. They haven't grown beyond their set hard drive limits, which still boggles my mind a little. That screen is impressive sounding enough, but it's like all really high res things on tiny screens. It will never be utilized. Using that resolution on a 4" is nonsense as no one would be able to see shit on a really high res application. Also, they are the only tech maker on the planet that thinks how many pixels per inch is a thing in regards to anything but making digital art. And since there is no actual information that is floating around about that processor, who can say how good it is or is not. We only know it's smaller and "more powerful" than the A5. Saying it can make graphics as good as consoles isn't a big thing because the Tegra 3 can do that same thing.

I guess, my actual pet peeve about Apple is that they are making a device for good casual use but acting like it's the best when it's far from the best. I would actually enjoy it if they made something that was the best for once, and I might even buy it.

All of that aside, their marketing team are masters at their craft. If someone can talk about something that is not great and make it sound amazing, they can get people. That is what Huck Finn did when he was white washing that fence, after all.

Edit: I also get the feeling that the name is selling itself more than anything at this point. Like Stephen King's name sells his books more-so than his ability to write does. It was proven after he released books under the pen name Richard Bachman. The novels didn't sell well at all until the information was released that it was a Stephen King's pseudonym. Then they started selling like all other Stephen King novels. Also proving that his fame is more of an accident than anything else (poor Stephen King).

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Waste of money, only amazing thing Apple has done is make people believe that phones, ipads and MP3 players are a throwaway object. As in, the ipad 1 is still great but they have conned everyone to believe you need the ipad 2 and now the ipad3 when the original is still great. Glad i dont buy Apple products, if they used this marketing on the MAC you would be getting a new computer every year. An those Apple products arnt cheap.

I keep things till they break. Ive had the same Nokia (you know, the zombie killer one, the phone which is so heavy it has its own gravity) for about 10 years. Its a great phone, has better reception than an Iphone. I sometimes wonder why people are so stupid. Im betting the clever bit of advertising was adding a number at the end. Iphone 1, 2 etc so you automaticlly think the new one is superior. This same reason is why xbox is 360, so they have a 3 in their name same as PS3. If they called it Xbox2, a lot of people would concider it inferior to PS3.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
So many Apple haters, its actually comical to read. "omg dey just mayd it thinr" and the likes.

First off, the chip is more powerful and has a more dynamic range of things it can do for applications. Its got a more powerful processor, nearly double what the current model has, as well as improved graphics - meaning that the people that take iOS gaming seriously (read: a lot of people) will get a better experience.

The touch screen is also integrated right into the glass, instead of having a seperate layer, which not only means that the system is thinner, but its also less prone to screen glares. We also have an extended battery life, supposedly having a sickening amount of life per charge cycle - but I'll never believe what a company has to say about battery life because its always wrong. Not to mention that the screen is longer, which makes the systems interface able to handle more things on the screen, which makes a better experience for gamers and other app users, even if its just for reading articles or magazines online.

The increased DPI and resolution could help set new standards in the mobile platform department, which would have drastic implications later down the line, AND its half the weight AND thickness of the iPhone 4S, despite being longer.

The drawbacks? Well, Apple releases have been... problematic... as of recently and they supposedly no longer support a YouTube App - although its available through Safari.

To a lot of people, myself included, this is not worth the price tag. I'm fine with my iPhone 4. Others are fine with their *insert phone here*. However, Apple has a cult of followers that WILL buy the product on launch because its a new iPhone. And they DID do a lot of nice things for it. Don't hate because its Apple, find another reason to hate them.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
I will just leave this here:
http://kuwaitiful.com/tech-gadgets/iphone-5-vs-fake-iphone-5/

Instead of comparing the iPhone 5 with competitor devices I thought this comparison deserved more publicity. Don?t mean to burst Apple?s bubble but some of you are better off getting a fake iPhone 5. For one it has better overall specs for half the price. No complaints about the operating system since it runs on Android.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Megacherv said:
I'm not saying anything until I see clock speeds. Remember that the Tegra 3 and the Qualcomm Snapdragon series exist. Saying 'it runs twice as fast' is all well and good when talking to idiots, but I want to see actual performance from a real device, not something on a screen, and I want to see the numbers that prove it.
Speaking my language. I want to see benchmarks and hard data seeing the "improvements" made. If i feel its worth the upgrade I will buy. But normally when companies try and hide real benchmarks its because the progress is so minimal they have to spin it to make the PR sound great.

captcha: high time

Yes captcha my vaporizer is warming up as we speak.