Apple Approves Blatant Mario Rip-Off for App Store

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
Apple shouldn't refuse the game on copyright means. Only when the creators raise an issue should Apple intervene. Otherwise Apple would be interfering with net neutrality, something I think all of us Escapist users know a decent amount about given the recent GeoHot scandal.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I wonder if the Game Dev for this (if you can call this person or people a "Dev") used the Vanilla Ice vs. Queen/Bowie defense...

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I shouldn't say this but Monino is actually the original one, Nintendo traveled forward in time and stole my idea, BASTARDS!

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
No one says anything about the 4-5 mario rip offs in the android marketplace?

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Did anybody else think of that game Yahtzee mentioned in that podcast they just did?

The Great Giana Sisters

iliekmudkips

Mar 30, 2011
HHKelevra said:
teh_Canape said:
really?

a rip off?

more like fangame

(seriously, Mario Forever? heard of it?)

other than that, I won't be getting it, since I don't have any apple product
Except people usually don't try to SELL these fangames.
Basically this. Selling fangames is illegal, even if you dont claim the rights to said games original iirc.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
cursedseishi said:
You know what...? I'm preeeetty sure those coins are ripped from a Mario game as well... there's been so many that I'm sure there are star coins you could collect... almost willing to bet my soul on that too.
Nope. While there have been Mario games with star coins, none of them have used that particular art asset. The pipes, platforms, and backgrounds seem to be the same way: designed to look similar, but actually redrawn rather than just ripped.

Of course, Nintendo would never resort to basic gradients, or draw anything as ugly as some of what's in here.

P.S. Thanks

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
PunkRex said:
MrBrightside919 said:
Ah, I love the smell of lawsuit in the morning
Game war, its faaantastic.
hot shots 2 am i right?

but really? wow ... thats just plane sad, whos the dumb ass trying to get apple sued? cause ... they kinda need to be fired -.-

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Already gone? Damn, and I was going to make a "get it while it hasn't been sued away," joke too.

Edit: Captcha was "tickg Hamilton's" They're getting longer. I wonder how long they'll get.

viciouspen

Dec 23, 2007
Alright people.

I am an independent game developer. We're trying to make out initial financial bones for larger projects with casual games.

This crap right here, is precisely why we're going to the Android market.

Apple is just too......Apple. Have a really hard time risking our financial future on this kind of stuff.
Seriously I'm sending out an email to everyone with the link to this article (assuming they haven't read it already).

It's not the only reason by any means, but still...this kind of apple insanity really makes us just want to avoid them altogether and go Droid.

We've personally known too many people who have been royally screwed by apple. Work on a nice lengthy high quality project, pattern it to the Apple app market, then boom, for no reason, rejected, then they have to rush and spend time and money trying to recover the project in some other way.

But Super Obvious Mario clone gets the thumbs up.

I hate you Steve Jobs...so much.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I love the picture of Bowser, You couldn't get more blatant than that, although the rest of the game seems to try hard. This kind of thing is done all the time and given away for free, Linux has SuperTux, a rip off supermario, even using the same level designs, but with the linux penguin, and another rip off mariokart, but since it is free, and they are not making a profit from it, it is legal.

But to charge for this game is just idiotic, someone musnt have been paying attention at work!