Apple Patents Anti-Piracy Technology

darkcommanderq

Sep 14, 2010
Yes because everyone wants to watch low quality shaky shit. Honestly who cares if people get a low qual version. Its not going to replace the HD / real thing.

id say pirates more than anyone care about quality of the product.

meryatathagres

Mar 1, 2011
Its funny how noone has mentioned the one phonecamera with 12mpix resolution, HD video and carl zeiss optics. :p Even that just wont do for anyone who is actually making money out of recordings. iPhone with its ridiculously bad camera tied to this patent is rather absurd in my opinion.
MP player from creative
Camera from Sony
Phone from Nokia (yes still)
Computer self built wintell
pad? pen and paper or a book
Apple, red domestic in august, fresh and subsequently eaten

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Korskarn said:
Duskflamer said:
if this technology works by, say, recognizing that there is a drum, two guitars, and a microphone in the view of what's being recorded, what's to stop this tech from preventing you from filming, say, a high school band who would like to encourage their few fans to tape the sessions so their image can spread.
niceguy191 said:
But if you do go to a concert that is sending out the signal, does that mean that you can't take a picture or video of your friend goofing off?Or what if you are witnessing an assault and want to get the scumbag on tape so they get put away? Or anything else in the whole venue for that matter?
C'mon people, the link is right there in the original post - you can click it to find out how this works.

It's encoded - so it's not going to do anything just because there happens to be two guitars in the room. There has to be a specific signal that says "If any iPhones are out there, don't record this", and the phone will ignore every other signal.

Second, it's IR based - that means line-of-sight and depends on which way you're pointing the video camera. Pointing at your friend goofing off? Totally cool! Pointing at a screen playing a movie? Potentially not cool.

Third, there's a bunch of stuff they can transmit - from "Don't record" through to "Photos are fine, just no video" or "Recording is fine, just no livestreaming". They can even transmit information so your iPhone shows augmented reality visuals like lyrics, artist history, or embed a high-def image of the presentation on the screen behind the conference speaker. It's almost certain that "Don't record" signals (i.e. ones that limit functionality) will be accepted automatically while "Augmented reality" signals (i.e. ones that could potentially rickroll your phone) will require users to accept them.

And ALL of this is opt-in BY THE ARTIST - the performer is the one who decides what signal is transmitted or even if they want to bother to enforce the copyright of the things they spent time and effort in creating in the first place.

Yeah....people apparently went all rage and left their reading comprehension somewhere else. It's opt-in. However, it still stands that Apple is in a way giving the artist, whoever this may be, the power to control a device that you bought. Of course, they legally have the right to protect their own music and lyrics. It's just that it seems...I don't know...macabre that your phone could be shut off remotely for suspecting you of your intentions. It's not like me recording 30 seconds of a song to have some memento is going to affect the artist. It's again presuming you are guilty preemptively, and that my friend is why technology like this is not cool. It sanctions paranoia, authority imposed arbitrary decisions and forcefully imposing buyer compliance (if you want a picture you ARE going to have to buy it, forget old traditions). Really not cool.

Let me make an imperfect analogy. It's as if you went to a wedding. The bride and groom rented the place, and a package for an inhouse photographer. There are IR emitters on the walls so that if you want a picture of the event you will have to pay the official photographs of which the organizers get a cut. I don't know, feels something like that could happen.

jeffwilson34

Jul 13, 2011
check this out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts3jMRfuDhY
I have a much longer video and several pictures that I will send someone if the will host them.
I tried several things and this one watch was the only thing I could get the watermark to show up on

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
Next the technology will used to detect protests, and if it does shut itself off.

Big Brother is watching you /sarcasm