Apple Sparks Foxconn Investigations

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Apple Sparks Foxconn Investigations

Apple responds to allegations of voluntary ignorance by fueling an "unprecedented" investigation into working conditions at one of its largest, most infamous suppliers.

Foxconn, the controversial series of Chinese factories responsible for producing many of Apple's gizmos, as well as all three current-gen consoles, is currently being investigated by the Fair Labor Association at the behest of Apple. As the largest private employer in all of China, Foxconn has had more than its share of controversies and, Apple, now worth more than Google and Microsoft combined, will no longer turn a blind eye to its allegedly terrible working conditions.

The inspections follow last month's New York Times investigation that quoted numerous former Apple execs explaining the company's purported informal policy of ignorance. Many claimed that in Apple's view, business is cheaper and easier when simply ignoring the plight of the unseen employees than shifting production and finding new suppliers. In response to these allegations, the Fair Labor Association will, at Apple's request, send voluntary auditors through the facilities in Shenzhen and Chengu, two Foxconn factories responsible for final assembly.

"We believe that workers everywhere have the right to a safe and fair work environment," said Tim Cook, Apple's new CEO, "which is why we've asked the FLA to independently assess the performance of our largest suppliers. The inspections now underway are unprecedented in the electronics industry, both in scale and scope, and we appreciate the FLA agreeing to take the unusual step of identifying the factories in their reports."

As part of the investigations, thousands of workers will be asked about their working and living conditions, safety, pay, and ability to communicate with their superiors. Whatever the FLA brings back, be it a glowing approval or dire condemnation, will be posted on Apple's website in March for the world to see and judge for themselves.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-13-apple-begins-foxconn-factories-inspections]

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
The CEOs and executives that turn a blind eye to this all while pocketing record salaries need to have their wealth stripped away then be fucking drug out into a busy New York street and have a couple of bullets introduced to their brain pan then thrown in an unmarked mass grave preferably someplace close to where septic trucks and port a johns are emptied.

What really strikes me as odd as this huge inspection coincides nicely with the passing of Steve Jobs. A less cynical person would simply call it a coincidence. Meanwhile, someone more jaded might think that ol' Steve Jobs didn't want to hurt the bottom line just to save the lives of a few faceless workers. If that is the case and he was turning a blind eye to the goings on I can only hope that his illness caused him plenty of pain and suffering before taking his life.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Allegations. It's amazing how so few people on the internet know what that word means. A few points of my own:

1. It's only an allegation, that is the reason for the investigation. People treat them as if they are guilty already, just like when a guy gets accused of murder everyone assumes he did it.

2. I love how people are attacking this as if it were happening in a first world nation. They may not be the best employer in all of China, but no one is employing more than them.

3. The workers who are facing bad conditions DO have every right to leave the job. No one is holding them at gunpoint (please, no stupid accusations of them being made to work at gunpoint just because they were a notorious Communist nation for many years).

4. If the majority of people are still working there, I can only assume that to them, the reward outweighs the risk.

5. The alternative to a bad job is not a good job, it's no job for the majority of people.

All those points said, who wouldn't want ideal work conditions for everyone. But my simple point is that threatening the company may not result in better jobs for people, it may result in no jobs for people, followed by starvation and personal desolation. But, it's all good, I mean, it's better they don't work at all than work in potentially unsafe conditions, right?

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
To the wise guy above talking about this being only an 'allegation'... you may wanna look up the Foxconn tag.

Honestly, how many times is it by now when Foxconn is being 'investigated' by a major corporation for allegations of terrible working conditions?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Considering how harshly they treated their workers, FoxConn must have been running a Pyramid Scheme.

Seriously though I this investigation buries those bastards.
The sad thing is, Foxconn employees tend to have it better than other Chinese businesses in the sector.

So what we're going to see is Foxconn get buried, and Apple will switch to a manufacturer who's likely a lot worse.

I'm not exactly pro-Foxconn here, just pointing out we will get a solution that's not really a solution. Unfortunately, the people who are saying Foxconn is good have some salient points. Higher pay and fewer suicides than the national average.

So the Western World will relax and indulge in their iPods now that it's been swept under the rug, while the blood stains on Apple's hands grow.

When Barry O inquired about Apple jobs returning to US shores, Steve Jobs said frankly it wouldn't happen. Jobs may be dead, but I doubt we're going to magically see Apple return to the world of labour laws and wages that rank in the range of "multiple dollars an hour."

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Baresark said:
Allegations. It's amazing how so few people on the internet know what that word means. A few points of my own:

1. It's only an allegation, that is the reason for the investigation. People treat them as if they are guilty already, just like when a guy gets accused of murder everyone assumes he did it.
I'm guessing you haven't heard much about Foxconn? You know, the company that had a high number of employee suicides and all they did was put a suicide net around their factory.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Baresark said:

2. I love how people are attacking this as if it were happening in a first world nation. They may not be the best employer in all of China, but no one is employing more than them.

3. The workers who are facing bad conditions DO have every right to leave the job. No one is holding them at gunpoint (please, no stupid accusations of them being made to work at gunpoint just because they were a notorious Communist nation for many years).

4. If the majority of people are still working there, I can only assume that to them, the reward outweighs the risk.

5. The alternative to a bad job is not a good job, it's no job for the majority of people.

All those points said, who wouldn't want ideal work conditions for everyone. But my simple point is that threatening the company may not result in better jobs for people, it may result in no jobs for people, followed by starvation and personal desolation. But, it's all good, I mean, it's better they don't work at all than work in potentially unsafe conditions, right?
I would just like to point out that when you live where you work, and where you work is a factory so large that people consider it a city, "just leaving" is a slightly more daunting prospect than, say, a kid who lives at home switching his part time work from McDonalds to Gamestop. Imagine if everything from your relationships, to your finances, to your personal time, to your entire identity was consumed by one massive location/corporation. The whole idea of "bad working conditions don't matter because if you don't like a job you can leave it" is a slightly myopic view of the situation, and that goes doubly in this case.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
My understanding of FoxConn though is that they're not afraid to lay the smack down to keep their employees quiet.

My estimation is that everyone will be instructed not to say anything bad, and everyone will comply.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Baresark said:

You're right, it's only a bunch of filthy Chinese. What's the big deal? I mean it isn't like there isn't a billion or so more of em. So what if a couple of em can't stand working 100+ hour days seven days a week every week for less money than I spend daily on coffee and decide to kill themselves just to escape a job that's really nothing more than glorified slavery. It's just allegations after all.

Christ those animals should be thankful for everything that Foxconn is generous enough to provide them. They get richly rewarded for their 100+ hour weeks with a more than fair 10-15 dollar salary and weekly I might add. On top of those lush wages Foxconn gives them a spacious apartment big enough to hold a mattress a dresser AND a desk and they only make them share it with two other people. Christ what could these people have to ***** about?!?!

Bottom line, there is no defense of either the people that own these sweatshops nor the people that pay for their services. My point still stands. This is little more than slave labor with a fancy paint job. Every person responsible regardless if they are the Chinese owners or the American executives that turn a blind eye and get rich off the lives of these workers need to be publicly executed and buried someplace where fecal matter can be regularly heaped upon their unmarked graves.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Xanthious said:
You're right, it's only a bunch of filthy Chinese. What's the big deal? I mean it isn't like there isn't a billion or so more of em. So what if a couple of em can't stand working 100+ hour days seven days a week every week for less money than I spend daily on coffee and decide to kill themselves just to escape a job that's really nothing more than glorified slavery. It's just allegations after all.

Christ those animals should be thankful for everything that Foxconn is generous enough to provide them. They get richly rewarded for their 100+ hour weeks with a more than fair 10-15 dollar salary and weekly I might add. On top of those lush wages Foxconn gives them a spacious apartment big enough to hold a mattress a dresser AND a desk and they only make them share it with two other people. Christ what could these people have to ***** about?!?!

Bottom line, there is no defense of either the people that own these sweatshops nor the people that pay for their services. My point still stands. This is little more than slave labor with a fancy paint job. Every person responsible regardless if they are the Chinese owners or the American executives that turn a blind eye and get rich off the lives of these workers need to be publicly executed and buried someplace where fecal matter can be regularly heaped upon their unmarked graves.
Wow, you put lots of words in my mouth. I never said they didn't deserve better, nor did I say the conditions should not be investigated. It's a good thing that systems of laws exist so people like you don't go executing people on the street as you see fit. You would have been very popular in the French Revolution. Also, you are applying your first world values to a place that is decidedly not first world. I am not defending the people who may be responsible for this, nor do I condone such things. But I am coming from a position where I don't know anything beyond what a few news articles stated, just like yourself. The difference is that I also know that hard work condition are much better than lack of work. I also know that the actions of a few employees should not destroy a lifestyle if it does not affect others the same way. That is the point of the investigation. But people like yourself have already decided that everyone is guilty and deserve to get punished by people like you. You are coming from the same position of ignorance as I am, but I am not deciding the guilt of people without proper evidence first.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Mike Kayatta said:
Baresark said:
I would just like to point out that when you live where you work, and where you work is a factory so large that people consider it a city, "just leaving" is a slightly more daunting prospect than, say, a kid who lives at home switching his part time work from McDonalds to Gamestop. Imagine if everything from your relationships, to your finances, to your personal time, to your entire identity was consumed by one massive location/corporation. The whole idea of "bad working conditions don't matter because if you don't like a job you can leave it" is a slightly myopic view of the situation, and that goes doubly in this case.
I have never had an easy time leaving a job unless I had a much better job I was leaving it for. Nor am I saying the company should not be investigated. But I simply offered an alternative idea until the investigation is concluded. But, I would think that no matter what conclusion is reached, many people who read about this will not change their opinion on any of it. That is why I haven't taken a side in this matter til more is known. I am not championing the corporation over individual rights, but we know none of the details at all beyond the contents of a few articles. Most of which most likely have the same source or sources.

Feb 13, 2008
Baresark said:
Allegations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides

Deaths.

In response, Foxconn substantially increased wages for its Shenzhen factory workforce,[14][15] installed suicide-prevention netting,[16] and asked employees to sign no-suicide pledges.[8][17] Workers were also forced to sign a legally binding document guaranteeing that they and their descendants would not sue the company as a result of unexpected death, self-injury, or suicide.[18]
References:
^ Foxconn suspends operation at a facility in India reuters.com, Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:12pm EDT
^ Foxconn to raise wages again at China plant reuters.com, Fri Oct 1, 2010 8:42am EDT
^ Foxconn Rallies Workers, Leaves Suicide Nets in Place (Updated) wired.com's Epicenter blog, August 18, 2010
^ "Chinese Factory asks for 'no suicide' vow". MSNBC. 2010-05-26. Retrieved 2010-05-26.
^ Malone, Andrew; Jones, Richard (2010-12-06). "Revealed: Inside the Chinese Suicide Sweatshop Where Workers Toil in 34-Hour Shifts To Make Your iPod". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 2012-02-07.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-57373307-248/ethical-iphone-5-petitions-to-be-delivered-to-apple-stores/ - 6 days ago.

250,000 people asked Apple to make their iPhones ethically. Now Apple are saying "We shall investigate". 2 years after

Interviews of 1,800 Foxconn workers at 12 factories found evidence of illegal overtime and failure to report accidents.[2] The report also criticized Foxconn's management style, which it called inhumane and abusive.
2 years ago.

Just as they'd be working on the iPad 2.

Now, of course, they're going to look at it. Now there's no more Apple products coming out.

But hey, at least they're looking into it. At least 18 people didn't die from jumping off a building...oh wait...

And the worst thing of all? The average suicide count would be 22. Apple can quite easily say that Foxconn's suicide rate is substantially lower than normal.

Now, I'm not saying that Apple voluntarily ignored this information. It's an allegation.

But given that they said they'd do this back in 2010 when it was happening [http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704026204575267603576594936.html] means they either voluntarily ignored it, or are incompetent.

But, just an allegation. An allegation backed by multiple media sources and 250,000 signatures.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
But, just an allegation. An allegation backed by multiple media sources and 250,000 signatures.
But still an allegation, therefore, how dare you judge them based on sources and facts?

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Foxconn is just a modern day slave labor camp... They make you work beyond a normal humans limits, poor living conditions, and if you speak up about a problem you can find yourself in prison... Also the money you make is taken right away by the company for you having to live there... Even many American jails have it better for the inmates than this horrid place...

Anyone that says they can leave is ignorant to the fact that they make it impossible for you to leave unless its in a box or jail...

Feb 13, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
But still an allegation, therefore, how dare you judge them based on sources and facts?
Apple said:
"We are deeply committed to ensuring that conditions throughout our supply chain are safe and workers are treated with respect and dignity."
And yet they voluntarily ignored this information for nearly 2 years. After giving a statement about it.

I mean, sure, Dell and HP also did the same, but they're not investigating it NOW, are they?

Less than a week after massive public response has said that they should.

But I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation why they didn't do something for nearly 2 years after admitting they knew about the "inhumane and abusive" management style.

And why they're asking someone else to do it now. After they've finished constructing their iPads.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
And why they're asking someone else to do it now. After they've finished constructing their iPads.
I was joking. I agree with you.

And hey, the quote was from my birthday!

...Weird connection, I know.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Right. No one is debating the ethics of it. So, what's your point. People demanded something of Apple. Big surprise no one listened for two years. I'll quote a previous debate in the simplest terms possible for you to understand. What you see is all there is. I am simply waiting for the results of an investigation till I cry for blood. It's the most logical thing to do. But you don't care about that, do you.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Apple is now bigger than Microsoft and Google combined? I ... seriously had no idea. That just crept right up on me.

I am glad the article bothered to acknowledge that companies other than Apple employ Foxconn (or Chinese factories at all, for that matter). So many people act like they're somehow the only company on earth "evil" enough to stoop to outsourcing to foreign sweatshops. When in reality if we were suddenly forced to rely on fair labor for all our manufacturing needs, the economy would probably collapse overnight. I mean, more than it already has.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Steve the Pocket said:
Apple is now bigger than Microsoft and Google combined? I ... seriously had no idea. That just crept right up on me.

I am glad the article bothered to acknowledge that companies other than Apple employ Foxconn (or Chinese factories at all, for that matter). So many people act like they're somehow the only company on earth "evil" enough to stoop to outsourcing to foreign sweatshops. When in reality if we were suddenly forced to rely on fair labor for all our manufacturing needs, the economy would probably collapse overnight. I mean, more than it already has.
Yes sir, the net worth of Apple is $302 Billion. Google comes in second at $190 Billion. Bill Gates (can't find Microsoft, only Billy boy) comes in a distant third at $59 Billion. All three have grown over 2011. I don't care for Apple's products, but I don't see why lots of people wouldn't find them useful. And their marketing is pretty substantial. But, when you are speaking in Billions it doesn't seem to matter who is doing better than who. Apple is not destroying the competition, just doing better than it.