Apple Under Investigation for Antitrust Violation

OmegaXzors

Apr 4, 2010
You people should read what I have to say before you make a post that is off-topic/logic. As most of these posts are.

Quadtrix said:
I don't really dislike Apple, but I can definitely say I'd run things differently if I controlled them. For starters, I'd make their operating system compatible with all computers, and not just Macs, while simultaneously adding support for AMD processors to accommodate the change. I'd also work with Adobe in hopes of creating a friendlier version of Flash for Apple's mobile devices, rather than blowing them off entirely. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
You could only possibly be living in a fairy tale with that point of view.

First off, the investigation has nothing to do with flash on the iPhone or iPad - it has to do with apple blocking the use of flash or third party API's in compiling apps for the App store. Flash won't happen on these devices. Period.

Second, using flash or third party API's to compile apps is shit. The flash app compilier made an app in 8MB that they were able to program with C#, the language apple endorses for apps in 700kb. Apple adds new API's and functionality all the time. Using a flash compilier means that they can only use what Adobe thinks they should have available - toolkits and API's that are severely lacking behind what Apple provides. Meaning that the quality and functionality of the Apps is in full control of Adobe. Not going to happen. Adobe also just takes too long to update their shit.

There's nothing about Gaikai that couldn't be programmed as a native app for the iPhone, iPad, or iPad touch. The developers are just fucking lazy slobs who don't want to develop for each device specifically. Besides that, it would probably be impossible to do with any company besides Apple due to terrible hardware and software fragmentation with Android. Having compiled all this nonsense into one thing to run all these programs mediocre on every device is okay with the developers but not with Apple. They want apps programmed specifically for the device provided.

EDIT:

For those who are TL;DR.

Apple didn't like Adobe's flash compiler App because it made things run like shit. Apple wants better, specialized Apps that run AWESOME. Adobe is angry because it was kind of a slap. Now, Apple haters are being frantically crazy.

I don't claim to know everything about this, but people just posting "YEAH, it's time Apple got what was coming!" just prove they don't know jack shit. Reading more and more of these posts only further conclude that.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
So I shouldn't get an iPhone when my contract ends later this year? I mean, I want Flash because it's integral to running a lot of programs, but I'd rather not wait years for the investigation to finish. It would be so easy if I didn't get a discount from AT&T through my dad's work or I'd just switch to Verizon and get a Droid phone.

Samurai Ralan

May 8, 2009
Salt to the wound.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple.html

Would you tolerate a dell made computer that you bought, if it periodically got a signal that would destroy it if you used the computer in any way that dell didn't want you to? Or if you put a program on it, or game, that they didn't want you to use. The fact that you spent hundreds on it means it is yours. Obviously dell doesn't do that, but apple does in an attempt to fuck up jail-broken phones. Show me another company that gives two fucks what you do with the phone once you give them money for it.

And because it's recent:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-28-2010/appholes

edit: doh! beaten on the first link.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
That's so stupid. Apple is so innovative they innovatively banned Flash from their products. They will create the new iCounter-Sue to innovatively stop this.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Jobs will threaten to pull Twitter support from his precious products and this "investigation" will disappear faster than someone tweeting "I own you, do as I say. S.J"

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
This will not go anywhere. No one is forcing anyone to buy/use/develop for the iPhone OS.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
haha steve jobs, thats what you get for denying one of the most widely used programs on the fucking planet as reliable, at least adobe's cheap unlike your giant iphone

Oriana132

Jun 23, 2009
Cryo84R said:
This will not go anywhere. No one is forcing anyone to buy/use/develop for the iPhone OS.
True dat. I freakin hate apple, since I don't own an iphone, ipod, imac, or any other device ending in a lower-case "i," I don't really care how they choose to run things.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Anyone else remember when Apple got rid of floppy drives and serial ports?

Swap those with the word "flash" and we are back in the '90s.

It worked out well for them then too.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
Nurb said:
why can't people who only have one cable and internet choice in their area get an anti-trust suit goin?
Sadly it's because of your local government. They are set up like a utility (i.e. electric, natural gas or phone). The company signs an agreement with the local government and bam, instant monopoly.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I would usually hope something like this would blow away, since if the guy gives you the reason why he's doing something and he's the president of a super duper corporation he has some leeway to do what he wants, but Apple has been pushing the envelope for a long time, and I say that as someone who has never been in the same building as an Apple product in two years.

Unfortunately, it'll probably blow away anyway.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
YAY!
Finally, apple seemed to kinda be the juggernaught for too long. Glad to see someone in investigation is looking them up.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/apple_files_patent_os_embedded_advertising

yeah...this article kind of tells you all you need to know. Apple is now more evil than Microsoft ever was. Ya know, I was considering finally giving in and buying my first iPod, but now? Fuck 'em.

danosaurus

Mar 11, 2008
Hmmmm while admittedly I would enjoy using Flash on my iPhone I would still only use it in small doses. Flash can be extremely power-hungry and would nom battery life quicker than regular internet-browsing by a long shot.

Still, I'd rather have a flash compatible phone than that extra 30 minutes of battery time :)

TruthMan

May 20, 2009
ok let me make this clear if i buy a mobile device from apple i want to be able to do what ever the freak i want with it.period. apple is like the over protective mother thinking the child(user) doesnt know how to do shit.

LANCE420

Dec 23, 2008
Apple is probably the most evil corporation in the world.

You want our superior OS? Buy our hideously overpriced chinese-made hardware for prices we could of hired North Americans to build. Then we'll contract with Intel and Nvidia so it dosen't seem like we are actually cheaping out. Gates is a pussy compared to Steve Jobs. Apple deserves an antitrust suit a thousand times more than Microsoft.

Also, Apple harms itself for not accepting flash. since everything on the web is based on flash(videos on this site, Par examplar) it holds back progress for Apple users like myself.

and as far as the battery life excuse, I have to say bullshit. The battery on my iPhone is weak anyway. And if I don't want to use flash, I wouldn't have my fucking browser open, would I?

The Unskilled78

Dec 4, 2008
Nurb said:
why can't people who only have one cable and internet choice in their area get an anti-trust suit goin?
Because it's not multiple companies banding together to eliminate competition and force the consumer to pay more. It's just your bad luck/choice to live somewhere where it is economically unfeasible to place multiple sets of transmission wires. No easy money for you.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm not exactly a big fan of Adobe, which has made it's bread and butter out of buying small software creators, integrating their products into suites, and then jacking up the prices to "professional" rates, often while offering little by way of additional value. I think we'd all be much better off if a truly free and open format for viewing video, audio, and games became the medium of choice.

That said, Apple's been acting increasingly like a tyrant, and a lot of people use Flash for all manner of things. Banning Flash from their most popular product lines was asking for an investigation like this, even without Jobs' little rant.

I think Apple could use a reminder that consumers liking their interfaces is not a good reason to expect them to give up their autonomy.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
About Hades damned time. Apple are to Microsoft as Microsoft are to Linux. Only Windows is actually useful.