ARAIG Gaming Suit is "As Real as it Gets"

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
As much potential as this has i'd ditch the speakers, I don't know about everyone else but I already have surround sound as well as headphones (which also happen to be 7.1 surround too), don't really need them strapped to me. Not to mention this would reduce the cost of $300 and don't forget this doesn't include their "ballpark" figure of $75 postage to the EU.

I would happily invest in one right now if they'd of had there postage fee's figured out before starting the kickstarter.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I would just play No Limits Coaster Sim all day because roller coasters are fun like that.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
I don't think anyone's raised the single biggest issue that exists with this yet. Compatibility. Will this product actually function out-of-the-box with currently existing games? Because from what I'm aware, most games only very loosely track hit locations, and I don't think the game would provide the sort of data output needed for the suit to function.

If not, kind of an issue considering it'd then become a development tool for future games, at which point they'll need to start persuading studios to design games for a product which isn't likely to make its way into all that many homes considering it's rather alarmingly high price point.

Great idea, and I fully applaud innovation, I really do. But sadly I just don't think this is the "end game" so to speak, it's just another stepping stone along the way to VR environments. The omni-treadmill and Oculus Rift show more promise and staying power than this can I'm afraid.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Yeah, at those backer prices, probably not. I look forward to following the development over time, but I sure as hell am not dropping $300 on experimental tech.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
ScruffyMcBalls said:
I don't think anyone's raised the single biggest issue that exists with this yet. Compatibility. Will this product actually function out-of-the-box with currently existing games? Because from what I'm aware, most games only very loosely track hit locations, and I don't think the game would provide the sort of data output needed for the suit to function.

If not, kind of an issue considering it'd then become a development tool for future games, at which point they'll need to start persuading studios to design games for a product which isn't likely to make its way into all that many homes considering it's rather alarmingly high price point.

Great idea, and I fully applaud innovation, I really do. But sadly I just don't think this is the "end game" so to speak, it's just another stepping stone along the way to VR environments. The omni-treadmill and Oculus Rift show more promise and staying power than this can I'm afraid.
Could make fallout more interesting, but aside from that, nothing else really does in any significant area other than "the head" and "not the head".

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Flameeater said:
If an argument is made that peripherals like this are not designed to give an "authentic" experience then I must simply ask what is the point?
Even though it isn't perfectly authentic(I'm not wanting to feel what it's like actually dying) it still adds dramatically to the immersion. Or at least it does for a great number of people. If you want a good example, look at that video of the guillotine simulator for the Oculus Rift. Plenty of times the other people in the room will only lightly tap the back of neck of the person in the simulator. The people then react as though they felt like they might be about to lose their heads, though I doubt the side of someone's hand feels like that of a blade. They were still greatly immersed in the virtual world, and the slightest sensation, however far from the actual feeling, only added to it.

People like myself would love a chance to add such levels of immersion to our gaming, even if we aren't about to feel what it's actually like to do what our characters do in the game world. That is the point.

I'll leave this as my reference.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I will reiterate my opinion on these things:

My brain has enough trouble keeping up with one reality, and this one isn't going to stand around waiting for you while you're in the other one. So, no sell for me. Seriously, when the singularity comes, I'll opt to live in a cave or something.

Interesting stuff, yes, but more scary interesting.

DoveAlexa

Oct 28, 2009
I don't see anyone noticing how the suit is padded out to make the wearer look very buff and broad around the chest and shoulders. It made me giggle a bit.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Crawling across the skin, huh?

...No. Absolutely not. I refuse.
Yes, its me again. Your gif and that memory served to give me guaranteed nightmares tonight. Thank you.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dogstile said:
lacktheknack said:
Crawling across the skin, huh?

...No. Absolutely not. I refuse.
Yes, its me again. Your gif and that memory served to give me guaranteed nightmares tonight. Thank you.
<youtube=Gd9OhYroLN0>

Sweet dreams!

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
This + Oculus = Bald Bull suddenly scares the absolute shit out of me.... as does the concept of teabagging.