Arcade Cabs: Steampunk'd

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Arcade Cabs: Steampunk'd

A craftsman with an eye for both steampunk and retro-horror aesthetics has crafted an arcade cab that fuses the two together,

Building your own aracde cabinet is a pretty big achievement, but making one with as much character as Doug Haffner's spooky-steampunk cab takes it to another level. The cab combines steampunk with the mad scientist aesthetic of the 1930's Frankenstein movies of Boris Karloff and is the result of around 60-80 hours work

On the blog [http://frankencade.blogspot.com/] he wrote for the project, Haffner said:

"I like steampunk, Harper Goff (designed the disney Nautilus from 20,000 leagues) and Kenneth Strickfaden (set designer and prop builder for Boris Karloff's Frankenstein. I thought it would be fun to combine all that into a MAME cabinet to play video games and use as a jukebox ...

I hope you enjoy it."

Source: Steampunk Workshop [http://steampunkworkshop.com/steampunk-mame]

hansari

May 31, 2009
Shame he didn't provide instructions...still, a real nice cabinet for playing arcade games...

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The only critique I have is that I'd probably end up slamming my knees into those little dealybobbers hanging down underneath the controls when the gameplay got really involved. Other than that, awesome design.

And yes, instructions would be awesome.

Soldier62994

Sep 25, 2009
It's just a really basic arcade layout, like most you would find anywhere.It's just some custom decals and trim...Maybe if they actually made their own controls and not just purchase a pre-made control layout system, it'd be cool. Honestly, anyone with a free weekend, supplies, and a design can make this.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
JRCB said:
That is pretty sweet looking. I wonder what games it has.
Er, any of the thousands of games MAME supports?

I think the looks of the cabinet might be decent otherwise, but the black and white plastic of the stock X-Arcade sticks and buttons fuck it all up. They need a polished brass or rusted iron look. The maker actually acknowledges that the X-Arcade parts are inferior and if he had more skill he would have gone for custom parts, but I get the feeling he only means use quality and not the deficiency in looks.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
hansari said:
Shame he didn't provide instructions...still, a real nice cabinet for playing arcade games...
Didn't you look at the maker's blog? He explains the surface finishes used.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Wow, steampunk and MAME?! Even with the X-Arcade sticks this is still super-slick. I'd planned on putting my own MAME cocktail together this past summer but funding was a bit low so it looks like it's going to wait until next summer. I have it on my current PC, don't play it much, but I'd still love to have a dedicated machine for it (though mine wouldn't look even as partially cool as this machine.)

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
That looks amazing, I love steampunk. That site is full of win pictures:

Cheers nilcypher, now I've got another site bookmarked.

somekindarobot

Jul 29, 2009
Sure, a steampunk arcade machine sounds cool at first, but imagine almost getting the high score after hours of gameplay only to have the machine shut down because it ran out of coal or water.

Takoto

Mar 25, 2009
Looking pretty badass there, I would love one of those.

I defiantly don't have the money for one, though...

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
That's uhhh...

That's pretty badass...

Now if only we had some steampunk top-down shooter...