Archie Comics Absorbs Mega Man

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Archie Comics Absorbs Mega Man

The company behind Archie is leaving Riverdale behind to give Mega Man his time to shine.

Archie Comics has announced that it'll be producing a brand new monthly comic book series featuring Capcom's Mega Man. For now, the book will focus on the classic Mega Man first seen on the NES, but variants on the original blue bomber are also planned for the future.

Mega Man #1 will hit newsstands and comic book stores in spring 2011. The creative team putting the series together is artist Patrick Spaziante and writer Ian Flynn, known for their work on Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog books.

Archie Comics is promising a faithful take on Mega Man and his universe, with editor Paul Kaminski saying it will "hold true to the spirit of the old school with a fresh eye on Mega Man's strong potential in the world of American comics." The book apparently even names Mega Man Rock, his original Japanese title, when not wearing the helmet.

Though an entire twelve issues (or more) could likely be filled up with Mega Man's attempts to get past those frustrating disappearing platforms, it's unlikely. Instead, we'll probably see various robot masters show up and cause mischief, with Dr. Wily as the series' main villain.

If the book does well, Kaminski says Archie hopes to "fully explore not only [the] classic world, but the other spin-offs including Mega Man X, Mega Man Zero, Mega Man Legends and more." CEO of Archie Comics Jon Goldwater says that the creative team understands Mega Man "inside and out."

The entire announcement of the comic series indicates that Archie wants gamers to be proud of their version of Mega Man. For the series to do that, I think it'll have to represent what Mega Man is all about, which is progression and enhancement. If robot masters are actually destroyed and absorbed by Mega Man, never to return, I think that would make for a more compelling story than one where the same enemies constantly get knocked out and come back in a later issue. We'll see if Archie can pull of its goals for the series next year.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Hmmmmm.
It sounds interesting.
And i like the cover of that issue.

I may haft to check this out.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK

Quite possibly one of the best game series ever.

EDIT: Sans BN4.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK

Don't forget sans 5, 6, and battlechip challenge.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Souplex said:
Lord Krunk said:
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK

Don't forget sans 5, 6, and battlechip challenge.
Haven't played Battlechip Challenge, but I loved 5 and 6.

2 and 3 were the best though.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
There's nothing I didn't like about this bit of information. I just hope this comic is good. That would just be awesome if Archie comics graduate to Mega Man X.

Nicarus

Feb 15, 2010
The X series, I can kinda see that. Legends, I definitely see potential. Zero...could these guys make a comic to fit the epicness? I'm just saying that if they plan to do the Zero series, they better hold to the theme really well.

Nostalgia Ripoff

Sep 2, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
Nostalgia Ripoff said:
Lord Krunk said:
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK

They did. It was in manga form, though.
Know if it was any good?
I can't remember. I bought it when the show was on, and at that point I never read manga so I was just confused on how to read it.
Edit: I just looked it up. It was based on the anime that was based on the game. That count's, right?

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
When I read this I was like this: 8D

Then when I realized I will most likely never see it here in Lebanon I was like this: D,8

Ah well, I just hope they do a good job in making the comic.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Nostalgia Ripoff said:
Lord Krunk said:
Nostalgia Ripoff said:
Lord Krunk said:
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK
DO BATTLE NETWORK

They did. It was in manga form, though.
Know if it was any good?
I can't remember. I bought it when the show was on, and at that point I never read manga so I was just confused on how to read it.
Well, thanks for letting me know. I'll be searching for it now.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I suppose Archie Comics has to do something. Dunno how many units of Archie they can sell, especially without the Punisher involved (yes, there was a Archie/Punisher crossover, which just the thought of that makes me laugh).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Great JT said:
I suppose Archie Comics has to do something. Dunno how many units of Archie they can sell, especially without the Punisher involved (yes, there was a Archie/Punisher crossover, which just the thought of that makes me laugh).
That, at least was tongue in cheek.

Archie Published several comics when I was younger. Didn't they publish the long-running Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic based on the cartoon (as in, not the Mirage Studios one)?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
The Great JT said:
That, at least was tongue in cheek.

Archie Published several comics when I was younger. Didn't they publish the long-running Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic based on the cartoon (as in, not the Mirage Studios one)?
They did, in addition to the Sonic comics and Archie and Sabrina The Teenage Witch (AKA "Riverdale's Hot Goth Chick").

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I used to read the sonic ones in the 90's and they did a pretty good job with those. Problem is though it's STILL going on as far as I know which makes me think they might do megaman to death too. Luckily they have alot to cover before then.

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
the first thing that comes to mind when I hear this is "welcome to a top the 4th wall.. where bad comic burn." hehe