Are game that bomb a blessing in disguise for franchise?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Not really. That's still a problem and does not make a work environment stable, if it's there. Even if I take the racism and sexual harassment out of the equation, they're still the heavy crunch. That causes stress that any changes delays a game further and puts more pressure on minds that have been brought to the breaking point. There's a reason why each and every Assassin's Creed has been lackluster or shot with a whole bunch of bugs and programming issues. Everyone's literally programming on an assembly line with some of the worst coding imaginable. They take all these "if" n' "and" statements for programming and don't hook them together in advance ways and have shoddy programming. That's why these games are so crappy at the start or the major updates later. But costly rushed out and not giving the time or care that much. Or only given in the care to the most extraneous or shallow things like DLCs and bad micro transactions.

Only 20%? in a capitalist system? That's like a workers paradise

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Only 20%? in a capitalist system? That's like a workers paradise
  1. It's Ubisoft. So I wouldn't exactly call that a worker's paradise.
  2. That's 14,000 employees that don't feel safe or feel worthless working there. Underappreciated too.
  3. This is a company that's known to protect rapists and sexual harassment abusers, so they can all screw off and go to hell.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
On the flip side you have something like Pokemon which has been doing the exact same things for decades now with, more or less, the same level of success for every entry and this has lead to some pretty serious stagnation. Even legend of arceus, which attempt to shake the formula, seems to be half assed by the dev and only considered as a side entry.
This comes down to pokemon marketing primarily to two groups, young kids that don't know or don't care how stale the game series is because they're probably picking it up for at most the second or third time, and competitive battlers who don't care about the game itself that much to begin with. They don't need to make innovation in the franchise to keep their players interested from entry to entry because there's always a new batch of kids just growing into the demographic to leech off of.

Pokemon can enjoy the same level of success because they've got an inexhaustible self renewing audience.

>Expecting services to ever fail.

They expect mediocrity and that's all that matters. It's like McDonalds and fast food, you don't eat because you love food, you eat because it's convenient and safe.
Speak for yourself, I eat at McDonalds because the food is good, not because it's convenient. If the food was terrible, I wouldn't eat there. In fact, there was a stretch of time when it was bad around where I live and I didn't touch the stuff. Same with anywhere else outside of home cooking I eat.

It's the same with video games. Even the most mediocre video games need to be good or people will not play them. Activision, EA, Ubisoft, etc., if the games they make weren't solid in the first place those companies wouldn't exist. Sure, they churn out the exact same games over and over again but without that solid foundation they would start crashing down.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
  1. It's Ubisoft. So I wouldn't exactly call that a worker's paradise.
  2. That's 14,000 employees that don't feel safe or feel worthless working there. Underappreciated too.
  3. This is a company that's known to protect rapists and sexual harassment abusers, so they can all screw off and go to hell.
Not disagreeing with you. It was a joke. Also, I highly suspect this happens in most big companies

Reactions: BrawlMan

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I'm not sure it is. Failures can have really chilling effects on publishers and its also possible that they draw the wrong lessons from those failures.

Take Sonic for instance. It could be argued the series still hasn't recovered from Sonic 06. There have been decent Sonic games after that the complete abandonment of any sense of continuity seems a direct reaction to the failure of Sonic 06. Its been over a decade and so far no real attempt to pick up the Sonic continuity has been made. And I think this has been a real loss to the series. While never good in the traditional sense it still added something which the newer games clearly don't have.

Same with Metroid. I think that the moment someone at Nintendo even briefly considers adding some story elements that this will evoke the memory of Other M which will lead to the idea immediately being dismissed.

Reactions: Hawki and BrawlMan