Are gaming communities too harsh on new players?

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
The Bucket said:
The Wykydtron said:
vallorn said:
Depends on the community, just playing TF2 I have run into everything from trolls to helpful veterans to pubstomers on Valve servers, community servers who mostly jeer at each other or who laugh and get along, and competitive players who help out new players or ones who rage at the medic for getting headshot (don't do that guys, I don't have a telepathic link to the enemy sniper.)

In the end it's just a part of life, some games attract more assholes than others (CoD, MOBAs, etc) but if you don't like it then there are always sub communities that are welcoming. OR! You can git gud and rub the assholes faces into the dirt. Either works.
As someone who has recently got into TF2, it turns out i'm "that guy." That guy who lands a headshot with Sniper and he's waving at you on the killcam. Every single time, regardless of how many enemies are already running at him. I'm fucking atrocious with Sniper alright, if I manage to land a headshot on you you fucking deserve it.

"Thanks for standing still, wanker!"

I also main W+M1 Pyro who taunts every Dead Ringer Spy I kill. Cheap ass bullshit.

Who even rages at the Medic anyway? If someone actually picks a Medic in a standard Valve pub server instead of being the 5th Sniper on the team, they should be praised as gods among men.

Another game full of BM would be the fan hosted Yugioh servers. I play on Devpro and between people insulting you because they got lucky and had a god hand at the start and managed to fuse the final form of Red Eyes Black Dragon on turn 1, fucking tryhards who netdeck the latest Tier 1 and spam out games with it with little understanding of how to play it and retards who refuse to read card effects and try to use Bottomless Trap Hole on a Traptrix creature and ask why it didn't work (The Traptrix monsters are actually the ones who originally dug those Trap Holes so obviously they're never going be victim to one,) Devpro is pretty toxic in a hilarious kind of way.

Then there's Dueling Network and the less said about that server the better.
I usually play Devpro, and played a few games again on DN for the first time in a few years. It felt amazingly nostalgic, within a few games I had a salty Malefic player demand to fetch his field spell because "his deck couldnt do anything without it". I let him since he was on 400 life points and I had Dimensional Prison or something. Devpro can be weird, but I dont think its that bad, most people dont talk at all and just quit if they get irritated
I've not seen much Malefic around but with so much search in the game, his deck must have been badly optimised if he had to rely on topdecking a field card. I play Ghostricks and they need Ghostrick Mansion on the board to stand any chance at winning yet they have so many ways to search it. Life damage with Ghostrick Stein searches you a spell card, fusing Ghostrick Angel of Mischief searches you a spell card, Terraforming searches you a field card and so on. I assume Malefic would have something similar?

I only got into Yugioh because my friend got me past the freaking massive learning curve (every card has an essay written on it) and I really liked the idea of traps. I enjoy playing things reactively and back when I played Hearthstone the only deck that could do that was full Secret Mage and even then it took some luck because the traps triggered on the first thing that hit them. I like how I can sit on a trap with Traptrix Atrax on the board like "yup, yup special summon? Yep I see, oh Abyss Dweller? Jump in the pit please"

The addition of Traptrix Rafflesia was a godsend for them, they needed a proper XYZ path. Now you summon Rafflesia and every other Traptrix on the board is invincible, Rafflesia herself is immune to all traps and detaching XYZ material lets you activate traps from the deck. From the DECK. If you have Atrax on board too you can activate traps from your hand too so nothing is safe.

Traptrix and Ghostricks are all I play, trying to learn Maldolches with little success too (apparently they're Tier 1?)

I realise how different they are, Traptrix are a group of murderous lolis who are probably the most metal thing in the game (look at Traptrix Trap Hole Nightmare and tell me that isn't at least a bit disturbing, there is a guy in the foreground melting inside Traptrix Nepenthes's pitcher) and Ghostricks just have fun spooking people. I like to think they're not really "killing" you with reducing your LP, your LP vs Ghostricks is your Spook'O' Meter and when it hits zero you flee the Mansion in terror.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
The Bucket said:
The Wykydtron said:
vallorn said:
Depends on the community, just playing TF2 I have run into everything from trolls to helpful veterans to pubstomers on Valve servers, community servers who mostly jeer at each other or who laugh and get along, and competitive players who help out new players or ones who rage at the medic for getting headshot (don't do that guys, I don't have a telepathic link to the enemy sniper.)

In the end it's just a part of life, some games attract more assholes than others (CoD, MOBAs, etc) but if you don't like it then there are always sub communities that are welcoming. OR! You can git gud and rub the assholes faces into the dirt. Either works.
As someone who has recently got into TF2, it turns out i'm "that guy." That guy who lands a headshot with Sniper and he's waving at you on the killcam. Every single time, regardless of how many enemies are already running at him. I'm fucking atrocious with Sniper alright, if I manage to land a headshot on you you fucking deserve it.

"Thanks for standing still, wanker!"

I also main W+M1 Pyro who taunts every Dead Ringer Spy I kill. Cheap ass bullshit.

Who even rages at the Medic anyway? If someone actually picks a Medic in a standard Valve pub server instead of being the 5th Sniper on the team, they should be praised as gods among men.

Another game full of BM would be the fan hosted Yugioh servers. I play on Devpro and between people insulting you because they got lucky and had a god hand at the start and managed to fuse the final form of Red Eyes Black Dragon on turn 1, fucking tryhards who netdeck the latest Tier 1 and spam out games with it with little understanding of how to play it and retards who refuse to read card effects and try to use Bottomless Trap Hole on a Traptrix creature and ask why it didn't work (The Traptrix monsters are actually the ones who originally dug those Trap Holes so obviously they're never going be victim to one,) Devpro is pretty toxic in a hilarious kind of way.

Then there's Dueling Network and the less said about that server the better.
I usually play Devpro, and played a few games again on DN for the first time in a few years. It felt amazingly nostalgic, within a few games I had a salty Malefic player demand to fetch his field spell because "his deck couldnt do anything without it". I let him since he was on 400 life points and I had Dimensional Prison or something. Devpro can be weird, but I dont think its that bad, most people dont talk at all and just quit if they get irritated
I've not seen much Malefic around but with so much search in the game, his deck must have been badly optimised if he had to rely on topdecking a field card. I play Ghostricks and they need Ghostrick Mansion on the board to stand any chance at winning yet they have so many ways to search it. Life damage with Ghostrick Stein searches you a spell card, fusing Ghostrick Angel of Mischief searches you a spell card, Terraforming searches you a field card and so on. I assume Malefic would have something similar?

I only got into Yugioh because my friend got me past the freaking massive learning curve (every card has an essay written on it) and I really liked the idea of traps. I enjoy playing things reactively and back when I played Hearthstone the only deck that could do that was full Secret Mage and even then it took some luck because the traps triggered on the first thing that hit them. I like how I can sit on a trap with Traptrix Atrax on the board like "yup, yup special summon? Yep I see, oh Abyss Dweller? Jump in the pit please"

The addition of Traptrix Rafflesia was a godsend for them, they needed a proper XYZ path. Now you summon Rafflesia and every other Traptrix on the board is invincible, Rafflesia herself is immune to all traps and detaching XYZ material lets you activate traps from the deck. From the DECK. If you have Atrax on board too you can activate traps from your hand too so nothing is safe.

Traptrix and Ghostricks are all I play, trying to learn Maldolches with little success too (apparently they're Tier 1?)

I realise how different they are, Traptrix are a group of murderous lolis who are probably the most metal thing in the game (look at Traptrix Trap Hole Nightmare and tell me that isn't at least a bit disturbing, there is a guy in the foreground melting inside Traptrix Nepenthes's pitcher) and Ghostricks just have fun spooking people. I like to think they're not really "killing" you with reducing your LP, your LP vs Ghostricks is your Spook'O' Meter and when it hits zero you flee the Mansion in terror.
I stopped playing around the time DAD came out because of him and the fact that I graduated and had no one to play with. Still think I have my Tournament 1 Mechanicalchaser.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Bat Vader said:
RaikuFA said:
Bat Vader said:
RaikuFA said:
Bat Vader said:
RaikuFA said:
Yes. And that shit needs to stop. If it were up to me, I'd have multiplayer removed altogether. Every online game I've tried was full of nothing but rude as hell people that wanted me dead just because I'm not playing how they want me to play.
That seems just as bad though. Many people like the multiplayer in a game. Removing it because you had a bad experience isn't fair to the ones that like it.

Besides MMOs I don't play the multiplayer in a game unless it is with friends. I hate having to deal with people I don't know and I don't care to get to know them.
Why should I care about them? They don't care about me. They see someone getting harassed and just act as if that person deserved it. That persons crime? Being new.
You're generalizing though. How can they care about you if the vast majority doesn't know you exist? When I used to play Call of Duty 4's MP mode I muted everyone in the lobby. How could I have known if someone is getting harassed because they are new? I'm sure there were players that treated you kindly. Why ruin their fun? Perhaps some people just didn't want to get involved. You can't fault people for that.

Why should you care? Because ruining someone else's fun would make you just as bad as the people you were speaking about. Why sink to their level?
I have never met a player online (few times offline) that wasn't hostile towards me for whatever the fuck reason.
The few that you have met offline would most likely be sad if the MP mode they enjoy was taken away. Why ruin it for them? What MP games do/did you play and how were they hostile towards you? Whenever I play an MMO I am never treated with hostility right out of the gate.
Can I ask as to where that avatar is from, and how did you make it? I have a few questions if you do.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Without fail. Some new players get lucky and find a welcoming representative, but more often than not, overly aggressive troglodytes are ready at hand to make anyone and everyone feel shitty for their chip on their shoulder for daring to not meet their gaming levels. (And if that's the case, make some friends and be cruel to them, don't bother random teams)

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
I know what you're gonna say, "Of course they're gonna lose at first while they're learning the game but they'll get good eventually." Except that takes time and dedication that the new player would be less likely to devote to the game or genre if they believe that the game is too difficult for them, based on the artifical difficulty they're facing based purely upon the people they are facing, or that the community for that game or genre is toxic.
This is ridiculous. As a fighting game player, starting out with SF4 when I started out I got bodied ridiculously. I kept playing though, and eventually managed to become decent okay at the game. Not exactly tournament level but I can hold my own against or beat almost everyone I play against online. On the other hand, when I tried playing Warcraft 3, I couldn't win a single match online. Shortly afterwards I gave up.

The difference between SF4 and Warcraft 3 is that I enjoyed Street Fighter 4 even when I was losing, but for Warcraft 3 I didn't really enjoy the game much unless I was doing well in it. I shortly realised afterwards that RTS games weren't for me, and I had a newfound love for fighting games. If losing a multiplayer match puts you off, maybe you don't really enjoy the multiplayer of that game too much.

There are loads of examples of this in today's gaming communities. If you tell or team mates in a MOBA thats its your first time playing, will they be helpful and give you advice? I'm sure a lot of players are and do but i'm certain even more will just abandon that game immediately. How many people asking for advice on the forums for From Software games are told to basically "Git gud noob".
You also have to deal with lots of assholes in real life too. Especially strangers. The solution: don't play MOBAs with strangers. I never enjoyed playing League in solo queue, so I only play it now if it's with friends. If you have no friends to play with, just try being friendly to everyone. Eventually you will make enough friends and you won't have to play with strangers anymore. It's not like EVERYONE is an asshole, and if it seems that way to you, then you ought to start with the man in the mirror, so to speak.

In regards to "git gud noob", and I'm speaking for myself here really, but games aren't too much fun when you're already told what to do. The satisfaction of overcoming an obstacle by yourself is much more satisfying. Ever played an adventure game and referred to a walkthrough? It removes the satisfaction of figuring out the puzzle yourself. It's like purposely looking at spoilers for your favourite TV show. From Software games (and generally any action or puzzle game) are like that for me.

And yes most multi-player games do match people up based on their win:loss ratio or level or w/e but all of those systems get abused by those of us who are determined to fight only when we are certain of victory. Whether its tanking your ranking or to use a specific example Levelling only your gear in Dark Souls/Bloodborne and not your character level so you get match with someone who couldn't possibly stand a chance.
How are you going to improve if you only play against players of your level? When I was new to street fighter, if I only played other beginners I'd still be randomly mashing buttons, hoping to get lucky hits to this day. Eventually it'd get boring, and I'd be frustrated as to why I'm not getting any better.