Are people becoming "Too serious"

Ibanez887

Apr 16, 2009
Littlebear said:
Ibanez887 said:
Fenring said:
No, you probably messed up the delivery of the joke. If it isn't 100% clear what you're saying is a joke, someone is going to take you seriously.
I didn't mess up the delivery, I referenced that a lot of Mexicans start to drink while underage, which is a stereotype among us (more so in the South)and no one seemed to realize that I just stereotyped myself and that I made fun of my own race
So you singled out a stereotype about Mexicans, which is well known to Mexicans, and then when your friends didn't laugh and instead talked to you about why underage drinking is bad you thought they just didn't get it?
If they think that that is something wrong with the culture, or that you'd been drinking and they had a problem with it then they would be inclined to convince you of the problems with underage drinking. Were they meant to stand around and laugh about drunk little mexican kids, if it went against their understanding of alcohol and the laws around it? are they the kind of people who would?
I think that if it were an untrue stereotype (which you've said it isn't) it would've been a joke, but it sounds like you presented it as a fact and your friends reacted to it as such.

Also, it would've been politically correct to say "oh, well, they're allowed to give their kids alcohol because that's a part of their culture" irrespective of whether it is or not. His friends did the politically incorrect thing by saying that there was a problem with what those parents were doing. Serious and politically correct are different things. If you're going to hate something, figure out what it is first.
Whoa, for starters, I never stated it as fact, I said it like is. Secondly, I didn't get mad at them for not getting the joke, so much as taking it in another direction than it's supposed to be taken. Mexican dads do that because it's almost like a rite of passage, a tradition if you will. It's not even like it sticks, most of the time the children don't drink until they hit legal age. Lastly, I never said I hated anything, I just said that I was confused at people not taking things as lightly as they are presented is all.
If you're gonna argue, please do so with a little more care

theevilsanta

Jun 18, 2010
Lightslei said:
Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: Regarding everything, I hate political correctness and believe politically correct people should be dropped in volcanoes.
TL:DR

PC comes from two places. A small group of people that get offended about everything and the majority of people that are generally cool but extra sensitive about only a couple things. Unfortunately that's enough to make PC a huge annoyance in our society.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Lightslei said:
Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: Regarding everything, I hate political correctness and believe politically correct people should be dropped in volcanoes.
I support the volcano thing. Just the term political correctness makes me want to murder something.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
People are taking themselves far to serious.Especially teens and people above ..lets say 35 tough the borders are not solid here. You are neither that important, nor do you do yourself a favour by doing so.
Funny thing is most people learn that lesson in about their 20's just to forget it again later.
And well. By most people, i say most people i can stand long enough to witness their development. Probably most people never learn. But well most people aren't worth knowing anyway.Just faceless moving obstacles at the station.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Whatever the case we need to take this very seriously.

The answer, is yes and no. There are always those who are very serious, and those who are very laid back.

sopherera

Jan 16, 2011
Yeah. I'd love to see some people affronted by something actually offensive and witness the reaction...

Regardless, the meaning of 'politcal correctness' has been lost, a mere mention of the colour of ones skin can provoke overly sensitive reactions in many. Everyone needs to lighten up, and take observations as observations, rather than insults.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Grabbin Keelz said:
If you are Mexican and you made a Mexican joke, then you have every right to be hilarious.
Carlos Mencia. Just think about that for a second.

Anyways, Yes a agree.

Littlebear

Jan 25, 2011
Ibanez887 said:
Littlebear said:
Ibanez887 said:
Fenring said:
No, you probably messed up the delivery of the joke. If it isn't 100% clear what you're saying is a joke, someone is going to take you seriously.
I didn't mess up the delivery, I referenced that a lot of Mexicans start to drink while underage, which is a stereotype among us (more so in the South)and no one seemed to realize that I just stereotyped myself and that I made fun of my own race
So you singled out a stereotype about Mexicans, which is well known to Mexicans, and then when your friends didn't laugh and instead talked to you about why underage drinking is bad you thought they just didn't get it?
If they think that that is something wrong with the culture, or that you'd been drinking and they had a problem with it then they would be inclined to convince you of the problems with underage drinking. Were they meant to stand around and laugh about drunk little mexican kids, if it went against their understanding of alcohol and the laws around it? are they the kind of people who would?
I think that if it were an untrue stereotype (which you've said it isn't) it would've been a joke, but it sounds like you presented it as a fact and your friends reacted to it as such.

Also, it would've been politically correct to say "oh, well, they're allowed to give their kids alcohol because that's a part of their culture" irrespective of whether it is or not. His friends did the politically incorrect thing by saying that there was a problem with what those parents were doing. Serious and politically correct are different things. If you're going to hate something, figure out what it is first.
Whoa, for starters, I never stated it as fact, I said it like is. Secondly, I didn't get mad at them for not getting the joke, so much as taking it in another direction than it's supposed to be taken. Mexican dads do that because it's almost like a rite of passage, a tradition if you will. It's not even like it sticks, most of the time the children don't drink until they hit legal age. Lastly, I never said I hated anything, I just said that I was confused at people not taking things as lightly as they are presented is all.
If you're gonna argue, please do so with a little more care
I never said anything about getting mad, I said you thought they just didn't get it. I see now that my post had a much more aggressive tone then I intended, which was lame of me. Sorry about that. The last paragraph was aimed at those people who, with almost no reference to your question, started talking about political correctness as though it applied to this situation.
I'm not making any kind of judgement call on giving kids alcohol (that's a different topic, and one I have no intention of getting in to), what I was asking was whether or not your friends are the kind of people who do make jokes about those kinds of things, and whether or not it was the kind of self-referential joke that they would normally laugh at. Different people are serious about different things, the things which they're more serious about are generally the things which define their world views. Maybe you just hit a serious nerve?
I don't think levels of seriousness have changed, really. If anything people are becoming apathetic towards topics which may have been much more tense a decade or so ago, and are finding ways to laugh about them (e.g. the uprising of obviously sexist jokes against women, and the lack of backlash). Your question should maybe be 'am I too funny for my friends?'

Lastly, the person who stated the stereotype was fact was 'Kaleion' who posted just below one of your posts. I guess I just compiled everything stated and then replied, which was rather careless of me.