Are people too hard on smokers?

The Arctic Nun

Jun 2, 2010
I live in a magical land where my non-smoking friends merely disapprove and don't have ultra-hyper-mega-asthma or bloodhound noses.

I come back inside, someone says, "You stink of smoke." Five minutes later, nobody notices or cares. It's not like five hours later someone bursts into the room and cries: "HARK! YOU VILLAIN, I CAN SMELL TRACES OF DEATH UPON YOUR GARMENTS! OUT WITH YE, WENCH! OUT!"

Smoking is bad for you. I doubt there's many smokers that aren't aware of this fact. We like it.

I mean, honestly if someone wouldn't want to go out with me because I smoked, well I wouldn't want want to go out with them or even be -interested- for their sheer lack of tolerance.

DYin01

Oct 18, 2008
I'm an asthmatic and in both of the bands I'm in my fellow musicians smoke. In my main band, the guy who plays keys is one of my best friends and he smokes like there's no tomorrow. I used to be very militant towards smokers, but I've grown used to it.

Of course I've got problems with smoking regarding my health, but my biggest issue is actually that it always gets into my clothes. I can't wear the same clothes the next day if I've spent the day with my band or that friend alone and the same goes for other smoking friends.

It's their choice, but I wouldn't mind if they quit. Unless they keep complaining about how bad they want a cigarette, because if there's one thing worse than a smoker it's a whining ex-smoker.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I think maybe they're a little too hard on smokers. Then again, a nice dose of the deaths related to smoking are apparently courtesy of second hand smoke.

Maybe a person just doesn't wanna risk breathing in that poison if they were too near a smoker. Hell, I don't. Car rides with my sister are hard. I try to hold my breath and all and have a window open but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
For this topic I think the best phrase has already been coined on those lighters they sell in Spencers... "I know smoking kills so let me fucking die in peace!" Nuff said.

The Arctic Nun

Jun 2, 2010
Tin Man said:
The Arctic Nun said:
I live in a magical land where my non-smoking friends merely disapprove and don't have ultra-hyper-mega-asthma or bloodhound noses.

I come back inside, someone says, "You stink of smoke." Five minutes later, nobody notices or cares. It's not like five hours later someone bursts into the room and cries: "HARK! YOU VILLAIN, I CAN SMELL TRACES OF DEATH UPON YOUR GARMENTS! OUT WITH YE, WENCH! OUT!"

Smoking is bad for you. I doubt there's many smokers that aren't aware of this fact. We like it.

I mean, honestly if someone wouldn't want to go out with me because I smoked, well I wouldn't want want to go out with them or even be -interested- for their sheer lack of tolerance.
This post is so full of win I may have to light up in your honour. It will be my last cigarette of course, because as we all know, my lungs will have no choice other then to cave in under their own weight after. Obviously.

lolcaptcha: fulfilling. Damn right it is!
Why thank you! I very much like the idea you have in mind there, I think it's time for me to spark up too. ;)

May 29, 2011
I don't like to hang out with smokers because they smell bad. I don't want to smoke because of the health risks.

Thats how i feel about it.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I have no part in this discussion, but i'll go ahead anyway. I don't care. I understand how it might go wrong in a smoker non smoker relationship, but that's personal.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
The Red Bastard said:
I was recently reading a thread that asked the question: "what are your deal breakers?" I noticed there was a very large amount of people who claimed smoking was an instant deal breaker, no matter the person, some even going as far as saying they would not even befriend someone who was a smoker.

Now I don't smoke myself, but am I the only person who thinks people are way too harsh on smokers? I find it shocking that so many people are willing to shun someone over one habbit. It seems to me smokers are one of the relatively few groups people are willing to openly hate.

What are your thoughts on the topic?
On the one hand, there is just about nothing more obnoxious than stupid priveleged smokers demanding that people accept their habit and complaining about smoking bans, ignoring people that ask them to stop or move in public places, etc.

On the other hand, it's pretty silly to suggest that you wouldn't even befriend a smoker. I can see it being a relationship dealbreaker because if you're going to be close to someone, especially their mouth, that could be a pretty big deal. But refusing to befriend smokers is pretty immature.

phelan511

Oct 29, 2010
Hell sometimes I'm treated even worse. I love, LOOOOOOOVE Copenhagen. Esp Copenhagen wintergreen. Is it the most attractive thing on the planet? No, but it sure as hell is more convenient when you need both your hands for most of the day or cant smoke half the time (i.e driving a tank or working on said vehicle). Now I'll be the first to admit that its not terribly attractive (although I have met a few girls that thought it was sexy, that mixed with my Texan accent.) so occasionally I'll instead buy some Snus, gives me my nicotine and keeps me from spitting and you can't tell I have anything in my mouth unless I peel my top lip back. I don't give tobacco users any grief cause well.... that be hypocrisy on my part.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
mandaforever said:
Quiet Stranger said:
mojodamm said:
Quiet Stranger said:
I think ANYONE who starts up today, like just starts smoking now, are fucking idiots, we have all this information about it and how bad it is for you so why even start?
Same reasons that people start drinking, or eating poorly, or skydiving, or automobile racing, or...
That's different altogether.
not really...skydiving maybe, but the other two things are easy to do and can be addictive, just like smoking. Everyone has bad habits, why condemn them for being human?
I'm condemning them for starting, for even picking up a ciggy and lighting it for the first time, for getting into it.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
chuckman1 said:
They are hated on way too much.
Their habit may be illogical but it's one of their weaknesses.
We all have weaknesses.
Of course but I doubt my cola addiction is going to cause you any problem, the same can't be said about smokers.

If you never smell smoke or smoke near other people , go ahead smoke all you want.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
i have no personal issue with them is just cigarettes smell bad(i hate the smell).

as for the smoker if (or when) you get cancer and/or other stuff; you know the risks so i have no sympathy.
i understand it's addicting but the smokers were stupid to start smoking

it's also expensive habit so i hear.
i would seems smarter to save that money for stuff like games or even bills.

that's all i have to say

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
I probably wouldn't want to be in a relationship with a smoker. Because I would hate the smoke. As for a friend, it's something I could tolerate, as long as they did it away from me. But yes, I have been thinking for some time that people are way too harsh on smokers. The government here wants to raist taxes even higher. I think it very unethical, because it apparently VERY hard to quit smoking, and it's just going to screw them over. The addictive properties are the only reason the government can get away with it. It's just exploitation.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
wouldn't really care if any of my friends smoked, some do when drunk, including me, but only when drunk. (most of them uses "snus" which basicly replaces the need for smoking, it's quite common in norway/sweden.

Also people should watch the "Penn and teller: bullshit" episode on second hand smoking.

Mar 9, 2010
EtherealBeaver said:
Excatly! If smoke didnt affect others, people could smoke as much as they wanted and I would not care. The problem comes when they project their choices upon the world around and forces our possibility to choose out of the picture.
Cut the crap already, smoking isn't that bad. Of all the posts I've read from this thread, the majority are people whining about not having a choice and being forced to breath second hand smoke. It's bad for your health, we get it. My Nan has been smoking for the best part of 30 or 40 years and my Grandad died of cancer - bowel cancer. If second hand smoke is all that bad then it would have been lung cancer.

Pick something worse to whine about other than a bit of poxy fucking smoke.

NOTE: I'm not targeting you EtherealBeaver, you just provided the perfect example. Apologies if you were offended, it wasn't my intention.

OT: In case you couldn't tell, I do think smokers get too much harassment for an otherwise minor issue.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
shadowsoul222 said:
I don't get the "smokers smell bad" argument. Around half of the people I work with smoke and I almost never smell it, and they smoke on their brake often...but maybe I just can't smell >.>
You've probably just gotten used to the smell.

OT: I smoke once in a while, but when I do I either go somewhere where others aren't going to smell/be effected by it or with other smokers. Im not gunna be an ass and smoke right in a crowd of people who dont want to be smelling the smoke.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Merkavar said:
i dont think they are hated that much. like smokers arent spat on or beaten up.

but smokers do stink alot, damage theirs and everyone around thems health and smell. also smoking is one of the stupidest habits.

you smoke to releave the effects of your withdrawals from smoking. it creates the problem and offers the solution in one handy tube.

the reason i dislike smokers is partly cause they smell (have i mentioned that?) and partly because it is so pointlessly useless. with drinking you drink and feel all nice and warm and stuff(positive effect). with smoking you smoke and fell all normal and stuff cause all smoking does is get rid of the withdrawal effects(removes the negative effect that it creates).
The smell from smokers is something you've made up in your mind and I've noticed it alot while there is definitely a smell from them Non smokers make it out that they smell like a garbage heap based solely upon their own mental tricks they must use to demonize smoking I've tested it I smoke often and my friends whom I hang out comment on the smell I have specifically worn freshly cleaned clothes, washed thoroughly and did not smoke at all before I met up with them at a bar I went outside like I had went to smoke but didn't and when I came back they made the same comments man you and your cigarette smell...

the same with teeth staining as long as you have a consistant teeth brushing regimine, floss and use mouthwash cigarettes will never stain your teeth just like strong coffee.

by the by you do not just feel warm and such while drinking every one experiences a buzz or drunkeness differently me I'm a violent drunk when I am able to get drunk I get mean and annoyed constantly and have even wanted to fight my friends over the simplest things.